The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

It’s already been about as long as the nation can afford. No reopening could be considered “ early” at this point. Predictions for a slower recovery are a strange argument against restarting the economic engine while it might actually have some fuel. Summer is approaching and will give consumers opportunities to release pent up demand. It doesn’t really matter who might be willing to patronize restaurants , theaters etc, just that the public be given the opportunity. Some folks most definitely will. I always point to the crowds at the beaches that were shamed on social media as evidence of this Pretty sure most of us haven’t gone through anything like being cooped up for two months with virtually nowhere to go. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 7

This study was published in The Lancet.

I think their outlook is sober yet realistic.  I hate to say it, but the overall population of Sweden are able to have these sort of discussions whereas here in the U.S the media and in this example the left have devolved the entire discussion to:

If we go back to work we will die until we have that vaccine or we have enough testing to test everyone in the country.  Oh and the economy tanking is the administrations fault.

Many countries (and members of their press media) have marvelled at Sweden's relaxed strategy in the face of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic: schools and most workplaces have remained open, and police officers were not checking one's errands in the street. Severe critics have described it as Sweden sacrificing its (elderly) citizens to quickly reach herd immunity.
 The death toll has surpassed our three closest neighbours, Denmark, Norway, and Finland, but the mortality remains lower than in the UK, Spain, and Belgium.
It has become clear that a hard lockdown does not protect old and frail people living in care homes—a population the lockdown was designed to protect.
 Neither does it decrease mortality from COVID-19, which is evident when comparing the UK's experience with that of other European countries.

These facts have led me to the following conclusions. Everyone will be exposed to severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, and most people will become infected. COVID-19 is spreading like wildfire in all countries, but we do not see it—it almost always spreads from younger people with no or weak symptoms to other people who will also have mild symptoms. This is the real pandemic, but it goes on beneath the surface, and is probably at its peak now in many European countries. There is very little we can do to prevent this spread: a lockdown might delay severe cases for a while, but once restrictions are eased, cases will reappear. I expect that when we count the number of deaths from COVID-19 in each country in 1 year from now, the figures will be similar, regardless of measures taken.
Measures to flatten the curve might have an effect, but a lockdown only pushes the severe cases into the future —it will not prevent them. Admittedly, countries have managed to slow down spread so as not to overburden health-care systems, and, yes, effective drugs that save lives might soon be developed, but this pandemic is swift, and those drugs have to be developed, tested, and marketed quickly. Much hope is put in vaccines, but they will take time, and with the unclear protective immunological response to infection, it is not certain that vaccines will be very effective.
In summary, COVID-19 is a disease that is highly infectious and spreads rapidly through society. It is often quite symptomless and might pass unnoticed, but it also causes severe disease, and even death, in a proportion of the population, and our most important task is not to stop spread, which is all but futile, but to concentrate on giving the unfortunate victims optimal care.

• Like (+1) 2

Kayleigh McEnany is good.   Trump should just have her doing these press briefings.  She comes prepared, clearly does her homework, seems to have answers for everything and has a soft way of communicating things in pointed terms.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Beetlejuice. Congrats, bud that is gonna stick I am telling you!?

I would love to take credit for it but I can't. I got it from a podcast I listen to.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Kayleigh McEnany is good.   Trump should just have her doing these press briefings.  She comes prepared, clearly does her homework, seems to have answers for everything and has a soft way of communicating things in pointed terms.

And she's hot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

I will have to admit, Musk acting more like a true American more than Trump. I'm disappointed in Donald playing along with this fakery. Not like it's just the Donald,  pretty much every other elected hack playing their part in the movie. Pleasantly surprised by Musk though. Unexpected to say the least. 

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-elon-musk-factory-reopens-california-coronavirus-tweet

11 minutes ago, Dante said:

I will have to admit, Musk acting more like a true American more than Trump. I'm disappointed in Donald playing along with this fakery. Not like it's just the Donald,  pretty much every other elected hack playing their part in the movie. Pleasantly surprised by Musk though. Unexpected to say the least. 

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-elon-musk-factory-reopens-california-coronavirus-tweet

All bark and no bite. At this point Trump is more #deepstate than Fauci.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GG said:

This is the most obvious statement that's clearly eluding most "thinkers"

The health minister of Quebec at once point mentioned herd immunity and was forced to walk back.

When the second wave hits, cities like Montreal, NYC and Milan will most likely not be hit as hard.  

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Nah they just say anytime you’re in close proximity to others.  General guidance, applicable irrespective of location.  But by Chef Jim logic it’s impossible to be in close proximity to anyone in a park or on a trial.  Makes.  Perfect.  Sense. 

Nope.  I'm saying it is VERY possible to avoid close proximity when out is the GREAT WIDE OPEN!  Where's DC Tom when you really need to bug him.  

Get your lazy ass out and find out for yourself how EASY it is to practice social distancing while hiking and visiting parks.  

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I didn’t realize that you’re so concerned about social shaming.  Very “snow-flakey” of you.  I apologize for hurting your feelings. 

Hey I appreciate your apology but not needed.   You're the one coming across as butt hurt here.  If you are so concerned about coming within 6 feet of someone not wearing a mask in the Great Wide Open I suggest you stay home.  Almost no one is wearing a mask when I'm outdoors.