The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

...Jesus....just got yelled at by some old bat at Wally's for going down the aisle the wrong way......"you should be concerned for my health and follow directions sir".....Happy Mothers(?) Day to a face similar to Chinese wet markets.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, arcane said:

I guess I didn't read it, but if they made like two different distinctions while doing this, noting the difference between NYC and everywhere else, and then which samples come from urban areas vs rural ones, it'd be seriously impressive and effective 

There is no way to get an accurate or even remotely accurate gauge of prevalency throughout the country in varying communities with 10k.  

Unless they are focusing on a handful of communities and even then that would only be a couple thousand per community which would still not represent a large antibody study for each of those communities.

But if we are talking about for all 50 states, then it’s  a laughably small study. Most states wouldn’t even have 200 total tests and that wouldn’t even be enough to get a study just for their state capitol, nevermind the rest of the state.

What they should begin doing is aim for a study of about 350k.  Where they form joint partnerships with local governments to conduct them with government funding.   They should reach out to every single county in the country and request that they conduct Serology tests of .1% of their counties population.

That would give you approximately 350k tests which is .1% of the overall population.  This would give you a county by county view of prevalency throughout the country ranging from urban areas to suburban and rural.  And since each county/local government already have their own health infrastructure in place, they could find the volunteers following the NIAID’s protocol and conduct the serology test with federal funding.

This 10k study more than anything will serve a purpose not so much for searching for community prevalency nearly as much as overall infection rate.

To gauge an overall infection rate, 10k is a good sample size.  But not for what they are claiming it’s for.    Does that make sense?

Edited by Magox

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

There is no way to get an accurate or even remotely accurate gauge of prevalency throughout the country in varying communities with 10k.  

Unless they are focusing on a handful of communities and even then that would only be a couple thousand per community which would still not represent a large antibody study for each of those communities.

But if we are talking about for all 50 states, then it’s  a laughably small study. Most states wouldn’t even have 200 total tests and that wouldn’t even be enough to get a study just for their state capitol, nevermind the rest of the state.

What they should begin doing is aim for a study of about 350k.  Where they form joint partnerships with local governments to conduct them with government funding.   They should reach out to every single county in the country and request that they conduct Serology tests of .1% of their counties population.

That would give you approximately 350k tests which is .1% of the overall population.  This would give you a county by county view of prevalency throughout the country ranging from urban areas to suburban and rural.  And since each county/local government already have their own health infrastructure in place, they could find the volunteers following the NIAID’s protocol and conduct the serology test with federal funding.

This 10k study more than anything will serve a purpose not so much for searching for community prevalency nearly as much as overall infection rate.

To gauge an overall infection rate, 10k is a good sample size.  But not for what they are claiming it’s for.    Does that make sense?

yeah I getcha. I absolutely didn't read anything about it, just saw that the sample size was a good two orders of magnitude greater than anything else I've seen with this virus to this point

• Like (+1) 1

I just got here..................three straight pages of actual discussion................It is refreshing............and informative..........thanks.

Did the Lockdown Model Cause Half the Coronavirus Deaths in New Jersey? 

Instead of coronavirus overwhelming hospitals, it overwhelmed nursing homes.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I just got here..................three straight pages of actual discussion................It is refreshing............and informative..........thanks.

Did the Lockdown Model Cause Half the Coronavirus Deaths in New Jersey? 

Instead of coronavirus overwhelming hospitals, it overwhelmed nursing homes.

...Cuomo's NYC was the US gateway to Covid-19 and he was undeniably unprepared for something REMOTELY similar or a MINOR health phenomenon that pales in comparison with Covid-19 despite millions living on top of each other..ventilators?....PPE?......comprehensive plan for a health anomaly?.....he was busy making six taxpayer funded trips to PR to emphasize with them after the hurricane because the Fed's 92 BILLION screwed them......or spending taxpayer money to sue Trump for his tax returns....who gives a rat's azz Big Fredo?...is this governance?.......and the NY as well as NJ nursing homes blind eye also deserves praise?....yes honorable mention to Gov. Phil.........

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

i've said it before and i'll say it again... vitamin D.

get out of your house and get some of that Sun.

Right does really help. 

On a different site. In a hospital. On blood clots. Just wow. :( People have to def look at this to help out before blood clots for people.

They found 29% of patients on ventilators who were given blood thinners died, compared to 63% of patients on ventilators who were not given blood thinners.
"Our findings suggest that systemic anticoagulants may be associated with improved outcomes among patients hospitalized with Covid-19," they wrote in their report, published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Again with the testing crap?   How many times does this need to be debunked?   SK didn't slow the spread because of testing.  They did it primarily through voluntary quarantines and their customs.   Their break out was concentrated in a particular group and they were easy to isolate.  

While I don't disagree that advising wearing masks as early as possible would have helped, which medical experts in the US were against such advice?   Hint, everyone who was giving Trump advice. 

Still nothing meaningful to show for the 3.5 years of his presidency, and still too many campaign hoaxes.  I’m sorry that you support a loser.  I wish it was different, but it’s not.  I like winners. 

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Still nothing meaningful to show for the 3.5 years of his presidency, and still too many campaign hoaxes.  I’m sorry that you support a loser.  I wish it was different, but it’s not.  I like winners. 

and that's the end of that 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Says the guy on a Bills message board. ?

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

it's all anecdotal though...

NY didn’t “ban” use of HCQ. 

“HCQ News” seems like a superb source. 

Let’s imagine that Texas had run as many tests per capita as NY and not 1/4 as many. And let’s say that drove the active cases up by I don’t know, say, 200% to be conservative. Those graphs suddenly would look a lot more similar no? Any other flaws in this data set occur to you? Like at least 7. Come on man!

Edited by shoshin

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

NY didn’t “ban” use of HCQ. 

“HCQ News” seems like an objective source. 

I believe that the state did ban "outpatient" use.

It was still tried in Hospitals though.

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I believe that the state did ban "outpatient" use.

It was still tried in Hospitals though.

Here is the order. It can be used to treat Covid-19 if approved by the fda or as part of a trial. 

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-20210-continuing-temporary-suspension-and-modification-laws-relating-disaster-emergency

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s just one state but one thing that has puzzled me is why other states peaked in deaths and went down kind of rapidly while PA did not. It’s been really slow to decline in deaths even as cases and %positive cases have both been in marked decline. 

A really thorough treatment of PA nursing homes and what has gone wrong here. I think someone has posted that their loved ones are in a long term care facility so that may be of interest. 

On the numbers, the bottom line is that in the last month, nursing home deaths grew at a rate of 4X compared to those outside nursing homes in PA. This could be for many reasons, but a particularly damning one is that Levine/Wolf didn’t enact a specific plan they had circulated in mid March. Neighboring states enacted similar plans and have had much more success. 

Edited by shoshin

....yup...brought to you by Crimestoppers himself.....how come if you pose the question, irrespective of your political persuasion and erasing Trump from the picture, who would be the best choice to be at 1600 Pennsylvania for this phenomenon, there are NO responses here?......as typical in the "always attack...never defend" mode, all that's offered up is the TDS garbage......

Obama says coronavirus response has been a ‘chaotic disaster,' blames ‘selfish’ mindset

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

Former President Barack Obama on Friday said that the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic has been an “absolute chaotic disaster” and blamed it on a “selfish” and “tribal” mindset that has become operationalized in government.

“This election that’s coming up on every level is so important because what we’re going to be battling is not just a particular individual or a political party. What we’re fighting against is these long-term trends in which being selfish, being tribal, being divided, and seeing others as an enemy — that has become a stronger impulse in American life,” he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/obama-coronavirus-response-chaotic-disaster

4 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Given the number of counties across the US I think that 75,000 is an extremely low estimate.  You are talking about people that most likely were succeeding in life and then had their feet knocked out from under them financially.  Quite a few will never be employed as they were before the pandemic.  There will be a great push towards automation now that AI is fairly viable and business owners will want to eliminate the human variable from their operations.  In the millions would not surprise me over the next ten years.  We are just starting to see the economic impact versus being better than half way through the fall out.

3143 counties, parishes (LA), and other bodies for the US.  Let's round down to 3000 so divided into 75,000 would make for 25 in each area.  A lot for Yates County that has a small population plus consists of a fair number of old order religious groups with the Mennonites and Amish.  A county such as Allegany has over 2 dozen townships so that would be only one person per township in a county that has close to 50,000 people.  If things get as bad as I think they will that just seems like too small a number.  I am not trying to take a sort of morbid delight in this but it is one more area of concern for a population's health as well as a virus.  The community at large should be trained to spot potentially vulnerable people with regards to suicide as a measure of prevention.  I've sadly been close to a few people who ultimately took their lives and it is sad for both the victim as well as the survivors of the victims.  I can still hear the gunshot of one in my mind as it happened when I was a preteen many years ago.  

Edited by RochesterRob

55 minutes ago, B-Man said:

It's not "skewing." NYC is America just like Milan is Italy. 

We've come so far since the way we were together on 9-11, when no American would have thought, "Those 3000 people don't statistically count because they are downstate." 

But now, here’s what happens when we treat downstate New York as a separate country from the United States in terms of deaths per capita (per million).

Edited by shoshin

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.14225d30393bfefbe17eb09e241b841e.gif

Seattle to shut 20 miles of streets to most vehicles

SEATTLE (AP) — Almost 20 miles (32 kilometers) of Seattle streets will permanently close to most vehicles by the end of May, Mayor Jenny Durkan said Thursday.

The streets had been closed temporarily to provide more space for people to walk and bike at a safe distance during the coronavirus pandemic, The Seattle Times reported...

... Residents, delivery drivers, garbage and recycling workers and emergency response vehicles can continue to use the streets.