The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

ughhhh

Make it stop.

Can we try to have some intelligent conversations that involves just a wee bit of critical thinking? 

There is no pandemic and the story is over. No point in being here apparently. 

14 minutes ago, Reality Check said:
  • A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.
  • Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
  • Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

I don't disagree a bit with what you wrote. Have personal experience with it, but I don't see how this relates to the notion that the story of the pandemic is over.

The DC info pamphlet from yesterday is interesting. 71% of cases are people under 60, but 82% of deaths are over 60. Another that stands out is that 47% of positive cases were African Americans, but the same demographic makes up 79% of the deaths.

https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/coronavirus/page_content/attachments/Situational-Update-Presentation_05042020.pdf

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

I don't disagree a bit with what you wrote. Have personal experience with it, but I don't see how this relates to the notion that the story of the pandemic is over.

It relates to the fact that you have no concept of proportionality. 

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

ughhhh

Make it stop.

Can we try to have some intelligent conversations that involves just a wee bit of critical thinking? 

Take away the trolls and the bully-personas and a dialog is possible. The name-calling brigade usually shows about about now. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The DC info pamphlet from yesterday is interesting. 71% of cases are people under 60, but 82% of deaths are over 60. Another that stands out is that 47% of positive cases were African Americans, but the same demographic makes up 79% of the deaths.

https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/coronavirus/page_content/attachments/Situational-Update-Presentation_05042020.pdf

First, African Americans make up a huge percentage of the DC population. Second, yes this particular virus is deadly to OLD people. That doesn’t mean that younger people don’t get the virus. It just isn’t that serious of a condition in younger people. Really nothing new to see here.

Trying to get back on Topic -

I found this fascinating Twitter thread from a Doctor who crunched lots of numbers and studies on the transmissibility of the Virus.  I highly recommend you read it if you have an interest in how the Virus spreads.  @shoshin @GG @Deranged Rhino @plenzmd1 @Hapless Bills Fan  @Taro T @Doc Brown @Buffalo_Gal and a lot of others of you may be interested in this as well.  It gets in the weeds.

To summarize my interpretation of this is that the way this virus passes on to others in most cases is through confined spaces.  Homes, shelters, elevators, transportation etc.    

Even though it's not said here, outdoor locations such as parks and Beaches are not places where the Virus thrives in regards to transmission.

And, that children are much less susceptible to passing along the Virus than adults.  Which again reinforces the idea that opening up schools probably makes a lot of sense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Magox said:

To summarize my interpretation of this is that the way this virus passes on to others in most cases is through confined spaces.  Homes, shelters, elevators, transportation etc.    

Even though it's not said here, outdoor locations such as parks and Beaches are not places where the Virus thrives in regards to transmission.

And, that children are much less susceptible to passing along the Virus than adults.  Which again reinforces the idea that opening up schools probably makes a lot of sense.

Bingo! Someone please tell Fauchi and Birx! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

First, African Americans make up a huge percentage of the DC population. Second, yes this particular virus is deadly to OLD people. That doesn’t mean that younger people don’t get the virus. It just isn’t that serious of a condition in younger people. Really nothing new to see here.

After dwelling on it further, if you draw the line at over/under 50 then the over group makes up 47% of positive cases and a whopping 95% of the fatalities. I mean, I know what you said is true, but seeing the actual numbers here is a little shocking.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

Trying to get back on Topic -

I found this fascinating Twitter thread from a Doctor who crunched lots of numbers and studies on the transmissibility of the Virus.  I highly recommend you read it if you have an interest in how the Virus spreads.  @shoshin @GG @Deranged Rhino @plenzmd1 @Hapless Bills Fan  @Taro T @Doc Brown @Buffalo_Gal and a lot of others of you may be interested in this as well.  It gets in the weeds.

From what I got out of that thread:

1) If someone at home has it, you are gonna get it.

2)   Schools should be open.

3)  Public transportation it is the great petri dish. If herd immunity is your goal, looks like that will be the way to spread it to people.

Hindsight will be interesting - exactly how close to correct were/are her current conclusions? Will more data tell a different story?  The postmortem on this virus, how it was/is spread, where it came from, how the lock-down helped/hurt, etc will be fascinating.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually understand a bit about research and data, and the weight of data, and the generalization of data, etc. I have looked at enough data for me to feel comfortable in my stance. I stand by that. I made my statement based on what I have read. I think my initial wording was incorrect as I didn't mean to imply that the weight of the data supported my stance, only that much of the emerging data I have read - meaning most of the data I have read, not data that exists.

If you want to say you disagree based on what you have read, fine. However, your response was to say, "The weight of the data is obvious." The fact is, you haven't read all of the data, so you have no idea what the weight of the data supports and all you are doing is the very thing you accused me of.

I understood your question to refer to the meaning of “weight” in this context.  That definition, frankly, is obvious.  

Edited by SectionC3