The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure if he still considers himself a lefty (probably does, but in more of the classical liberal vein), but in 2016 & earlier DR was a lefty.

Hoping there is more to this story than what was on camera.  But that is an extremely bad look for the cops (especially the fat 1 in the Yanks cap), and could see where that second guy (at minimum) will be getting a large sum of money from a jury.

And could see at least 1 of the cops behind bars for a while.  (Again, we only have a snippet of the story, but it looks bad on 1st blush.  Hoping for the cop's (& our sake) that there was legit justification for their actions before the video started; because if there isn't he's (rightfully) screwed.

Lots of silence from the usual crowd knocking the response to the outbreak.  Probably trying to figure out how to blame Trump.

• Like (+1) 4

....common sense (uh oh) to me says the number of cases will increase significantly as testing ramps up exponentially.....think the MSM will highlight the increase singly?...naw not them....think they will include the number of asympotomatic cases?.....um ok......think they will quantify or accurately report the number of nursing home deaths and how states like NY pressured them to accept?....inconsequential no doubt.....talk about data all you want......how, if or whenever do scientists like Hap and his colleagues EVER get to the point where they can ascertain the "data" is 50, 75 or hopefully (COUGH) 80% accurate WITHOUT the obvious politicization?.....seems like a never ending battle for the scientific community to get to reliable data......to further exacerbate their analyses are these "studies" being released without a reasonable sample size or even before peer review solely for publicity.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Been there done that and even gave that information to Billstime with the note: one city does not and area code make. 

Thanks for playing. 

While I agree Buffalo is not the be all of 716 it is a relatively poor area of the country with a real city in it. I have been all over this country and I can not think of another area as poor with a similar city. 

22 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Maybe they should send the Governor this NIH study on the effectiveness of masks?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Looks like the N95 masks are great (which we have all heard).  Any other type of mask?  Ummm ...

</snip>

Laboratory tests showed the penetration of particles through the cloth masks to be very high (97%) compared with medical masks (44%) (used in trial) and 3M 9320 N95 (<0.01%), 3M Vflex 9105 N95 (0.1%).

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The bigger news to me is that it's another data point on asymptomatic positives. Meatpacking plants are cold, damp, and humans work closely with lots of bio material. Seems like a spot where this thing would be happy. 

And possibly mutate...

39 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The point is that freedom is dangerous. If you're living on your knees, you're not living.

Or you're Tiberius. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

While I agree Buffalo is not the be all of 716 it is a relatively poor area of the country with a real city in it. I have been all over this country and I can not think of another area as poor with a similar city. 

Detroit?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is that Trump’s inauguration crowd? 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

That’s not what I do. There I corrected you. 

Thank you for your essential work! You sir, are a ***** hero!!! ???

As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from the coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.
The projections, based on government modeling pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I vote Democrat but this shouldn't be a political issue as it should be data driven.  If I was a policy maker right now I think there's enough data out there that we should push for reopening asap and following Sweden's model to reach herd immunity asap before we do even more long term damage to our economy.  A vaccine (which is basically a shortcut to herd immunity) is too far down the road and that's assuming we can develop one.  If a similar amount of people are going to die, I'd rather see a spike in deaths immediately and get back to regular life than long term lockdowns where the same amount of people die at a slower rate. 

Doc, I’m completely on board with this approach. While we may disagree politically,  I also recognize and appreciate your contributions to this board. As you state, this really should not be a political issue. It’s a health issue with drastic economic consequences that are not sustainable. We can’t pretend that people won’t fall victim to this virus if we wait things out. We just don’t have the luxury of time, and the medical world is working on this as fast as it is able. Reaching herd immunity is likely our best weapon against Covid 19 and the sooner we can get there the better. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from the coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.
The projections, based on government modeling pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

Fake news! It’s May!

• Haha (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If we were talking about the city of Buffalo proper in comparison to other US cities he’d have a point. But he mentioned the 716 and that was my issue with which I brought my challenge and he lost.  He then  doubled down with a link that actually said there are parts of Buffalo (suburbs) that are actually doing very well. 

20 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Is that Trump’s inauguration crowd? 

Thank you for your essential work! You sir, are a ***** hero!!! ???

What are you thanking me for?  You don’t even know what I do. 

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Scoreboard bro....Euro countries same intel ....probably less...than the orange menace...Yesterday Germany plus France plus Italy plus Spain....less than 4000 new cases....US 28k...if you are hanging your hat on that ban....might wanna try something new

Scoreboard Bro...Germany + France + Italy + Spain + Belgium + UK = 332,000,000 people and 371 deaths per million

US = 331,000,000 people and 206 deaths per million (which is also lower than every individual country mentioned, except Germany)

The US is going to have more new cases because they are now testing more than those countries combined.

The ultimate success is measured in hospitalizations and deaths - not new cases.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Fake news! It’s May!

I forgot, Corona ended in April, as Trump said it would. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Scoreboard Bro...Germany + France + Italy + Spain + Belgium + UK = 332,000,000 people and 371 deaths per million

US = 331,000,000 people and 206 deaths per million (which is also lower than every individual country mentioned, except Germany)

The US is going to have more new cases because they are now testing more than those countries combined.

The ultimate success is measured in hospitalizations and deaths - not new cases.

Why did Trump wait so long to close off travel with Europe? He waited ten long days longer than Israel did and NY got swamped. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What are you thanking me for?  You don’t even know what I do. 

Because you are essential. Obviously your work is important! 

You keep up that essential work and you might find yourself the proud owner of a Noble prize one day! ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Why did Trump wait so long to close off travel with Europe? He waited ten long days longer than Israel did and NY got swamped. 

He didn't and maybe New York got swamped because De Blasio and Cuomo did nothing except urge people to get out as late as March 11th. 

Funny how no other place in the country got swamped. I guess, according to your theory, people traveling from Europe had only one destination: New York.

You're an idiot

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He didn't and maybe New York got swamped because De Blasio and Cuomo did nothing except urge people to get out as late as March 11th. 

Funny how no other place in the country got swamped. I guess, according to your theory, people traveling from Europe had only one destination: New York.

You're an idiot

Well that's because all Europeans go through Ellis Island.  Everyone knows that.  Gee and you call him an idiot.  

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You and your facts

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You're an idiot

Yes, and they’ve also been very protective of their unhygienic, coronavirus spreading mass transit system. They’ve only recently conceded by closing it 4 hours a night for disinfection. 

• Thank you (+1) 2