The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

I picked up one of those little Remington trimmers online.  It does the job.  Watched a video of a guy giving himself a haircut so I could learn how to do it myself.  It came out OK.  Can’t put lipstick on this pig, anyways, so as long as I’m comfortable aesthetics can wait. 

I’m seeing clients so I have to look somewhat presentable. 59 and a full head of hair. Problem is it’s curly so when it’s not cut it gets out of control. And with 20 Zoom meetings a week I’m tired of looking at myself with bad hair. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This thing isn’t nearly as deadly as Spanish Flu. I don’t know if anyone was asymptomatic with that ; ive seen estimates as high as 45% asymptomatic with Wuhan. Still not sure what level of testing you are envisioning but we don’t have the luxury of time it would take for major breakthroughs. The country will literally crumble to pieces. We still don’t have a vaccine for any of the other known Coronaviruses, fwiw. 

I'm not sure but here is an interesting counterpoint to Birx from Danielle Allen from Harvard

"I think the most important question is, how much testing, tracing and supported isolation do we need to avoid having to use repeated applications of stay at home order when a second or third wave hits. Our view is that we need to get to 5 million tests a day by June in order to achieve that. "

and later 

the important number there is how much do you have to test

So, for example, in South Korea they tested at such a level only 3 percent of the tests come back positive. So, we still are at a rate where we're testing with 20 percent coming back positive. That means we're not testing enough.

You need to tests so much that really will weigh (ph) the percentage of which positives actually showing up. That’s when you know you're catching everything.

The numbers that Dr. Birx shared today was that our target at 10 percent positive rate, the percentage that we are finding within every range of testing. We need to lower that. We should be at the same level as South Korea.

I do not understand why this country is setting its ambitions lower than the successful countries. That is the part I do not get. We're can-do America. There’s no reason we cannot give up to a level of 5 million tests a day, which would get us to that place where we are catching so many cases then we would not have a resurgence of a disease, we would not have to go back to sort of adaptive response and using collective stay at home orders repeatedly over a period of time."

That was from This Week with George Stephanopoulos last week.

There seems to be an attitude from the Feds that testing will be hard, so lets not do it and hope for the best. 

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m seeing clients so I have to look somewhat presentable. 59 and a full head of hair. Problem is it’s curly so when it’s not cut it gets out of control. And with 20 Zoom meetings a week I’m tired of looking at myself with bad hair. 

It’s not as hard as I thought.  I watched the video and just gave it a shot.  I usually keep it pretty tight so it’s easier for me.  For others might not work as well.  If you get a clipper online try one with a wider blade.  Much easier to make the cuts.  The one I purchased is a little narrower than one I borrowed, and the borrowed item is a bit easier to handle.  

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s not as hard as I thought.  I watched the video and just gave it a shot.  I usually keep it pretty tight so it’s easier for me.  For others might not work as well.  If you get a clipper online try one with a wider blade.  Much easier to make the cuts.  The one I purchased is a little narrower than one I borrowed, and the borrowed item is a bit easier to handle.  

My clippers finally arrived from Amazon today.  It’s go time this weekend. Wish me luck!

9 minutes ago, Kevbeau said:

My clippers finally arrived from Amazon today.  It’s go time this weekend. Wish me luck!

It is hair, it will grow... and all that will be left as a reminder is the blackmail photos your family takes. ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I'm not sure but here is an interesting counterpoint to Birx from Danielle Allen from Harvard

"I think the most important question is, how much testing, tracing and supported isolation do we need to avoid having to use repeated applications of stay at home order when a second or third wave hits. Our view is that we need to get to 5 million tests a day by June in order to achieve that. "

and later 

the important number there is how much do you have to test

So, for example, in South Korea they tested at such a level only 3 percent of the tests come back positive. So, we still are at a rate where we're testing with 20 percent coming back positive. That means we're not testing enough.

You need to tests so much that really will weigh (ph) the percentage of which positives actually showing up. That’s when you know you're catching everything.

The numbers that Dr. Birx shared today was that our target at 10 percent positive rate, the percentage that we are finding within every range of testing. We need to lower that. We should be at the same level as South Korea.

I do not understand why this country is setting its ambitions lower than the successful countries. That is the part I do not get. We're can-do America. There’s no reason we cannot give up to a level of 5 million tests a day, which would get us to that place where we are catching so many cases then we would not have a resurgence of a disease, we would not have to go back to sort of adaptive response and using collective stay at home orders repeatedly over a period of time."

That was from This Week with George Stephanopoulos last week.

There seems to be an attitude from the Feds that testing will be hard, so lets not do it and hope for the best. 

Increasing testing doesn’t reduce the percentage of positives. The virus clearly has taken hold much more in the USA than South Korea. We are past the point of major containment, and we’ve already shut down the economy for too long. We can’t ramp up testing and think that it’s going to reduce the amount of infection present in the populace. So yes, in a sense that kind of testing is “ too hard” to execute at this point because there just isn’t that kind of capacity in the system for the current tests. That could change with a major breakthrough down the road, but we no longer have the luxury of time. Whoever that quote is from seems to want to blame the “ Feds” by focusing on testing while ignoring  the fact the virus took a deep hold in the USA probably since December or so. This is a politically driven opinion from someone with an agenda; most likely the November election. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

No they didn't.  However, what is your take on what Cuomo says about the supply chain issue?  He isn't the only governor to raise the issue.

Has any state faced a shortage of needed equipment?   

Was the Federal government the responsible party for the primary supply chain for the states? 

Did the Federal government threaten to use the national guard to appropriate equipment?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GG said:

Was the Federal government the responsible party for the primary supply chain for the states? 

Did the Federal government threaten to use the national guard to appropriate equipment?

From long experience I've learned not to bother answering your questions if you won't answer a single one of mine.  You will simply ask more questions and ignore all of mine. 

Things had backed off to the point of having an actual discussion with people of differing views this evening.  Not so much with you.

Edited by Scraps

56 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Increasing testing doesn’t reduce the percentage of positives. The virus clearly has taken hold much more in the USA than South Korea. We are past the point of major containment, and we’ve already shut down the economy for too long. We can’t ramp up testing and think that it’s going to reduce the amount of infection present in the populace. So yes, in a sense that kind of testing is “ too hard” to execute at this point because there just isn’t that kind of capacity in the system for the current tests. That could change with a major breakthrough down the road, but we no longer have the luxury of time. Whoever that quote is from seems to want to blame the “ Feds” by focusing on testing while ignoring  the fact the virus took a deep hold in the USA probably since December or so. This is a politically driven opinion from someone with an agenda; most likely the November election. 

I think the point being made is that if you have more testing and get a lower positive rate, you are testing a wide enough percentage of the population to know areas where the virus is increasing and needs closer attention, contact tracing and possibly control measures.  South Korea has tested a far greater percentage of its population than we have.

I left a link to the transcript.  You seem to automatically dismiss that which does not  conform with your POV as politically motivated and thus should be dismissed.  Go read the transcript or watch the show and tell me what makes you think that.

You seem to be dead set on just opening things up and letting it rip.  I'm rather skeptical that there will be much of an economy as long as the virus is and issue.  Studies of the 1918 pandemic indicate that those cities that started control measures early and kept them in place longer had lower mortality and more robust economic growth in the end.  quote 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I think the point being made is that if you have more testing and get a lower positive rate, you are testing a wide enough percentage of the population to know areas where the virus is increasing and needs closer attention, contact tracing and possibly control measures.  South Korea has tested a far greater percentage of its population than we have.

I left a link to the transcript.  You seem to automatically dismiss that which does not  conform with your POV as politically motivated and thus should be dismissed.  Go read the transcript or watch the show and tell me what makes you think that.

You seem to be dead set on just opening things up and letting it rip.  I'm rather skeptical that there will be much of an economy as long as the virus is and issue.  Studies of the 1918 pandemic indicate that those cities that started control measures early and kept them in place longer had lower mortality and more robust economic growth in the end.  quote 

While I’m not dismissing testing as an effective tool, I’m extremely skeptical that the USA can use South Korea as any kind of template because it wasn’t caught here early enough. The testing thing seems to have become a blame placing measure , and yes I believe there is a lot of political motivation behind the lockdowns. The economy is a huge thing in Presidential elections. While the economy isn’t exactly going to to pick up where it left off, we can’t leave it shut down. It just cannot work that way. The virus absolutely will be an issue to some degree, but many will get back to some semblance of normalcy and adapt. Look how many people turn out when they open a beach somewhere. Medically, we may be going about things the wrong way ,if we examine the numbers. Having a lot of younger , healthy people get this virus could be the best thing that can happen. Anyway we cannot just throw up our hands and tank the nation into a depression because it might be a slow recovery. This virus is here to stay, and the sooner people admit that to themselves and move on the better. We are way past the point of a perfect solution barring a miracle. This is my opinion, of course and others will have varying opinions too. Let’s not kid ourselves that politics isn’t behind a lot of this media driven fear mongering. Cuomo has already said “ let’s use this to reimagine a better New York” or some crap like that. These Governors are using the Covid 19 crisis to enact progressive policies and turn their states into more of a liberal la-la land. It’s a progressive fantasy world for them right now, having Americans walk around in face coverings, sitting home waiting for government checks and being controlled like sheep. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

While I’m not dismissing testing as an effective tool, I’m extremely skeptical that the USA can use South Korea as any kind of template because it wasn’t caught here early enough. The testing thing seems to have become a blame placing measure , and yes I believe there is a lot of political motivation behind the lockdowns.

The US and South Korea reported their first confirmed case on the same day. (Jan 20th) South Korea got the testing kits from WHO, the US said no thanx we will make our own tests. A week later South Korea began a rigorous testing program and contact tracing of positive results. The US bungled the testing program while the virus spread. The reason the US can't use the South Korea template is not because it wasn't caught here early enough as you say, it is because testing and contact tracing did not begin early enough. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GG said:

Non-responsive.  You attempted to answer a question with a question.  (And then posed two more questions.)

carry on. 

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

While I’m not dismissing testing as an effective tool, I’m extremely skeptical that the USA can use South Korea as any kind of template because it wasn’t caught here early enough. The testing thing seems to have become a blame placing measure , and yes I believe there is a lot of political motivation behind the lockdowns. The economy is a huge thing in Presidential elections. While the economy isn’t exactly going to to pick up where it left off, we can’t leave it shut down. It just cannot work that way. The virus absolutely will be an issue to some degree, but many will get back to some semblance of normalcy and adapt. Look how many people turn out when they open a beach somewhere. Medically, we may be going about things the wrong way ,if we examine the numbers. Having a lot of younger , healthy people get this virus could be the best thing that can happen. Anyway we cannot just throw up our hands and tank the nation into a depression because it might be a slow recovery. This virus is here to stay, and the sooner people admit that to themselves and move on the better. We are way past the point of a perfect solution barring a miracle. This is my opinion, of course and others will have varying opinions too. Let’s not kid ourselves that politics isn’t behind a lot of this media driven fear mongering. Cuomo has already said “ let’s use this to reimagine a better New York” or some crap like that. These Governors are using the Covid 19 crisis to enact progressive policies and turn their states into more of a liberal la-la land. It’s a progressive fantasy world for them right now, having Americans walk around in face coverings, sitting home waiting for government checks and being controlled like sheep. 

a lot of what you said here is intelligent.  I might not agree with it, but it’s rational.  

except for the bolded statement.  Blanket comments like that with vague accusations undermine the credibility of everything else you said.   When I see stuff like that I’m tempted to dismiss all of the thoughtful comments you’ve made.  

Which governors do you speak of? And what progressive policies do you complain of? And what states have become more “la-la lands?”

Edited by SectionC3

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

a lot of what you said here is intelligent.  I might not agree with it, but it’s rational.  

expect for the bolded statement.  Blanket comments like that with vague accusations undermine the credibility of everything else you said.   When I see stuff like that I’m tempted to dismiss all of the thoughtful comments you’ve made.  

Which governors do you speak of? And what progressive policies do you complain of? And what states have become more “la-la lands?”

What good is a lawyer who is not precise? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Scraps said:

From long experience I've learned not to bother answering your questions if you won't answer a single one of mine.  You will simply ask more questions and ignore all of mine. 

Things had backed off to the point of having an actual discussion with people of differing views this evening.  Not so much with you.

Then you'll have no problem specifying exactly which supply chain that Cuomo had an issue with and when.