The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, arcane said:

The U of Washington study and Imperial college study each had 2+ mil if nothing was done, and a floor of 100-250k if rigorous and strict social distancing measures were in place everywhere. What people comment on is that we made decisions based off of this, and then watched them adjust their predictions come in at half of their floor value as plenty of areas did a downright poor job of social distancing compared to what the models asked for at the times they made the claims.

pointing out that this is important to note isn't a far right thing, even if far right people take it to ill-advised conclusions (and I don't see a lot of people asking for ill-advised things in this thread)

For emphasis, I'll restate, we just got done watching a several week process of these models walking back their projected death totals by a huge percentage lower than their previous best case scenarios, as the country did a thoroughly mediocre job of shutting down. We were obviously working with bad data, and perhaps bad models, and should be talking about this so that we are making the next round of decisions with better models and data. This is not a right or left wing talking point, it is reality

I'm a 'far rightie', and I was game for the shutdown until we got an idea what we were dealing with, and to give the hospitals, etc., time to make sure they were going to be able to handle any massive outbreak.  Once we saw that the infrastructure was sufficient to handle things, area to area, I think we should have then treated this like we would the flu:  stay home if you're sick and/or susceptible, and use increased hygiene precautions.  I didn't and don't think a full shut-down of the country was necessary, especially after the first 2-3 weeks (and I'm fairly certain this will be shown to be the case).  They should have had the young and healthy out and about doing their normal things a couple weeks ago at least, and keep the elderly and infirm at home, like they've forced on us all instead.

Press: This is an emerging result? Is it conclusive?
Bryan: We are looking at this. As a scientific community we are continuing to explore it.

Press: New Orleans?
Bryan: This is a chain. Heat, humidity, solar, weakens it. It is another tool. Keep up social distancing.

Press: Can the disinfectant be injected?
Bryan: We don't do that at our lab.
Trump jumped in to explain something.

Press: Wouldn't people be better outside than inside?
Bryan: It would be irresponsible to say that, continue social distancing.
Trump: sun?
Bryant: Will kill it directly, used a playground equipment as an example... will kill where exposed, not underneath.
Trump: On Hands?
Bryan: Lives longer on non-porous than porous surfaces, so in  theory, you are correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Press: how long until conclusive results?
Bryan: we got the virus in February. We are now starting to get results and find out something new and different. The task force asked them to come in with their findings.

Press: contacted foreign counterparts
Bryan: mentioned a master list that is available online

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Press: will social distancing be extended?
Trump: we will see

Trump: I once mentioned it goes away with heat and light, and the #fakenews didn't like that, but now it seems like it may be the case.

Oh look, Dr. Trump looking for recognition again. ???

irony
[ˈīrənē]

NOUN
  1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms:
    sarcasm · sardonicism · dryness · causticity · sharpness · acerbity · acid · 
    • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
      "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
      synonyms:
      paradox · paradoxical nature · incongruity · incongruousness · peculiarity
    • a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Keep doubting it despite mounting evidence:

but let's enjoy our first real day of live sports respite in more than a month and a half. :beer:

That is interesting, I cannot find the political breakdown on that poll. Could you provide it? All it says is:

The nationwide poll was conducted April 16-20, 2020 using the AmeriSpeak® Panel, the probability-based panel of NORC at the University of Chicago. Online and telephone interviews using landlines and cell phones were conducted with 1,057 adults. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 4.0 percentage points.

Which is pretty worthless.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Pretty sure you meant 0.5% not 0.005%

0.005% of 2.7M  is only 135 people.   Over 500 died just today according to worldometers.

Also, I get a value more like 0.8%     20861 / 2700000 = 0.77269....

NY is currently at 15740 so try that again, but try it on a real calculator cause your ain't working right ?

12 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Looks like the Orange Man was right yet again, this time on sunlight and humidity being lethal for the virus.

Don't most viruses do worse in the heat? He's not really going out on a limb there. Perhaps he's actually learned something from HCQ?

Trump is walking a line between aiding the states vs not-aiding them. (He was attacked about Mitch.)

Trump: I hope people enjoy the sun.
Trump asking Birx if she has any idea if the heat or sun will help with a treatment. She will look into it.
Trump is definitely qualifying his answers as the press is trying to pin him down for a quote.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  Haven't gotten Wuhan virus yet.

But I'd suggest you cut down on the fish tank cleaner.

I haven't been taking my zinc. Friggin hoarders. I haven't gotten sick either. What are your conclusions, doctor?

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You know, day after day I listen to this, and the logistics of what has happened in the last 4-6 weeks is simply amazing.

Trump:
Expanded access program for transfusions (3K people in it).
Convalescent plasma will be used for a concentrated antibody treatment that does not have to be matched to blood type. Clinical trials will begin soon.

AI experts are scanning the data of the 52K papers on COVID-19.

Would have been great if the ball was rolling six weeks before that.  Like, around the time the virus was a hoax and we had 15 cases moving toward zero.  opportunity lost, I guess. 

Many companies are working together on a vaccine. If we get it, we will scale up. Johnson & Johnson is scaling up now before they have a final vaccine.

Ha! He just called the press the "lame stream media."

Press: asked about Boris Johnson (UK guy)
Trump: He sounded fantastic! Just like the old Boris. He was surprised as he expected him to sound terrible. He's (Boris) is an incredible guy. They are lucky to have him over there.

Press: Kim Jong Un? Heard anything?
Trump: Monologuing. 
Trump said, "I think the report was incorrect. Let's put it that way."
I think it was a fake report by CNN.
CNN is fake news, don't talk to me.
He's ignoring the CNN reporter. ?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2