The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Pritzker is going to have a revolt on his hands if he doesn't at least loosen some of the restrictions before the end of May and rightfully so.   There is no reason why outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and outdoor work activities can't resume.  If Grocery retailers and others can operate with reduced customer population and cleanliness practices, then so too should all retailers.  We can't let nursing homes and their problems run the rest of the state. 

The Governors are flying by the seat of their pants.  We have the perfect laboratory in that we have 50 individual states, many with different orders in place.  I think what we're all discovering is that there is no strict formula for success.  Florida never had some of these restrictions, and they are not seeing large problems.  Other midwestern states NEVER went into full lockdown and they're not seeing large challenges.  The Trump Task Force should have more than enough 'data' by now to start drawing some conclusions that can be applied more intelligently.

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Priorities. 

How DARE she?

Love this Quote:

“At the end of the day, we have political systems,” said Jonathan Kinloch, chairman of the organization. “We have political parties, and political parties exist for a reason. They do not belong to themselves,” Kinloch said of endorsed candidates and elected officials. “They belong to the members and precinct delegates of the Democratic Party.”

"Sieg Heil!"

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, Gary M said:

If antibody testing is accurate, there is no reason for any of it at this point.

If the NYC study can be extrapolated and is accurate, NYC at 20% is good for NYC being some ways to achieving herd immunity, but NYC definitely doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the US. If it did, other cities would have been bombed like NYC and they haven't been. So while the NYC data is interesting, it's only telling a little bit of the story so far. And that the rest of NYS is only at 4% means that we may have a long ways to go to achieve the herd immunity. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't see that data as interesting and potentially optimistic on mortality, but sort of like the rush to embrace HCQ, be sure to temper it. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Expecting respect when you never show respect to anyone else is pretty funny.

That cuts both ways, you know...

I'm not going to speculate on who (between Trump and the press corps) started the disrespect spiral -- that's a fruitless endeavor.  I do certainly acknowledge that there's lack of respect in both directions.

If you acknowledge that too, are you also saying that the press doesn't have to show respect to Trump because he fails to show respect to them?  Taking it a small step further, are you saying that the public at large should refrain from showing respect to Trump because he doesn't reciprocate?

3 minutes ago, shoshin said:

If the NYC study can be extrapolated and is accurate, NYC at 20% is good for NYC being some ways to achieving herd immunity, but NYC definitely doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the US. If it did, other cities would have been bombed like NYC and they haven't been. So while the NYC data is interesting, it's only telling a little bit of the story so far. And that the rest of NYS is only at 4% means that we may have a long ways to go to achieve the herd immunity. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't see that data as interesting and potentially optimistic on mortality, but sort of like the rush to embrace HCQ, be sure to temper it. 

These are hard numbers that prove that the models were absolutely incorrect.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Not sure if this was posted earlier but another fascinating antibody result conducted by the state of NY.

They go on to say:

Would that include people who are currently infected?  Infected a week or two ago?

Whatever the case, this is yet another data point that supports a considerably lower mortality rate.  And if they aren't including the people who are currently infected or were infected a week or two ago, then that number is going to be considerably higher.

I have long maintained that before we get to the summer that number will end up being well over 25% and closer to 50% in New York City.  By Fall, they could be entering into a somewhat of a herd immunity.

No...New York state at .7% and New York city at .6%

The way the article reads is that it doesn't take into account people who are currently infected.  At least that is not the way it reads.

I am actually shocked those positive rates aren't much higher, with how contagious this thing is. I participated in the study, am interested to see if I have the anti-bodies....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Agree but exercise some caution on herd immunity being particularly widespread even if those numbers can be extrapolated:

The results differed across the state with the largest concentration of positive antibody tests found in New York City at 21.2%. In Long Island, 16.7% of the people tested were positive and in Westchester, where the state’s first major outbreak originated, 11.7% of the tests were positive. The Covid-19  pandemic across the rest of the state is relatively contained with just 3.6% of positive test results. 

The testing results also may be artificially high because “these are people who were out and about shopping,” Cuomo added. “They were not people who were in their home, they were not people isolated, they were not people who were quarantined who you could argue probably had a lower rate of infection because they wouldn’t come out of the house.”

I'm not sure I agree with the bolded part.  In fact, if I'm the only one in my family going out and about, and I get exposed and test positive for antibodies, then I can pretty safely assume that the other people in my house have likely been exposed, too.  All we've been told is that this virus is super contagious.  If anything, I think the number should likely be higher -- like maybe somewhere between 1x and 2.6x higher (because average house size is 2.6 people I suppose)..

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

I am actually shocked those positive rates aren't much higher, with how contagious this thing is. I participated in the study, am interested to see if I have the anti-bodies....

Will they notify you?