The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Press asking about the immigration order.
Trump: If they are under court order, they need to go to court. The people that are already here legally are not supposed to be under a greater risk of deportation. (buncha press questions, this is my synopsis)

Trump is doing this as protecting American worker's jobs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Press: Hair salons, nail salons, tattoo parlors when can they reopen?
Dr. Birx: Based on a community by community opening.  If they can social distance, they can do those thing. I have no idea how they can do those, but people are very creative.
This was about Georgia, but her answer was much more generic.

Shesh, Trump said the parade idea "when all this is over" is a great idea because the healthcare workers deserve it  (how over is over?)

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, jrober38 said:

I can't.

One side says stay home for another 4-8 weeks and numerous lives will be saved.

The other wants to put lives in danger because they're bored.

Once people are dead they're dead. This is literally life and death for a lot of people, like yourself. 

Your assumptions about this have no basis in reality. They’re based on a false choice, a false hope. Lockdowns and staying home another 4-8 weeks isn’t likely to save many if any lives. It will simply change the date of illness and probably of death. Not only are we not building herd immunity while shuttered indoors, but we’re tanking the economy even further into the abyss. We won’t be any meaningful measure safer from Covid 19 in two to three months than we are now. Coronavirus is now part of our overall landscape, whether or not you want to admit it to yourself. Yes, more people are going to die from this. There won’t be a vaccine anytime soon; perhaps not ever. Treatments will eventually emerge, but the economy isn’t designed to shut down for an extended period of time, nor is government set up to continually pay it’s citizenry to be idle. No, Covid19 will now just have to be factored into our daily risk tolerance. Some may stay holed up in a cave for years or whatever, but most will eventually say they’d rather go on with their lives and do what they wish. There were large gatherings and sports events, theaters and bars in previous eras where the risk of disease and death were far greater. Indeed, life expectancy was much shorter largely due to disease. 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

The last two paragraphs I agree with and the hospital tents built by that national guards were and a god send.  The mask issue and stock pile issues caught everyone... The need for ventilators and medical supplies was not an Obama care deal... It goes much further back to Clinton and Bush and the way our healthcare is distributed and regulated.  Streamlining and cutting costs have been disjointed at best while healthcare become big business and serving best only those areas with money.

Sure it was but laying blame on WHO when our medical professional knew better and were telling Trump otherwise and yet he wasnt publically reacting was a bigger problem.

So, there was no tax on medical devices and equipment included in the ACA? 

Do you have a link that shows who the medical professionals were that knew in early January that human to human transmission was possible?

What is your opinion regarding China keeping quiet not only about the human to human transmissions but the virus itself until they had hoarded a shitload of PPE's? How about shutting down flights inside China but letting people fly all over the world? 

• Like (+1) 1

Press: Virus escaped from a lab, who told you that?
Trump: I can't tell you that! Something about US intelligence. What kind of a question is that? They told me plenty.  (he was definitely exasperated)

Trump wants the golf courses open. Not a shocker. This was being asked about the Trump properties,... he said "my children run them."

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It's complicated.   There are a number of different entities that are conducting these tests.  Each entity has their own challenges.  Many people like @shoshin get confused and seem to believe that all these locations are facing the same issues.

Don't do Internet nonsense. You know that's not what I said. 

It's a lot more complex than that and some entities are able to meet demand better than other entities for a variety of reasons.  It could be due to lack of chemicals, swabs, lack of coordination to direct people to the appropriate locations or in Quest Diagnostics' situation too much demand which created backlogs.  

And, that PCPs are telling people not to get tested to protect the patients and HCWs, which happens every day because the health care system is bogged down. You keep not responding to this point that I keep making. The biggest reason not every symptomatic person is getting tested now is because people are not going to get it done for the many reasons I've mentioned at least 4 times.

It's a huge undertaking and there are a lot of moving parts and the local, state and federal government or for that matter all the medical, hospital and labs never had to deal with something as massive as this and try to have it resolved in such a short time period.  But they do seem to be making marked progress on a daily basis.   And for me that's encouraging.

This I agree with. But given the number of cases out there, we will probably never be swabbing every sick person. Once we have the serological tests, PCPs will tell every symptomatic person to get tested. 

Edited by shoshin

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Dr Hahn (FDA) up:
FDA was asked to remove all unnecessary barriers by Trump, the FDA did that. (So, if they are unnecessary, why have them?)
Two types of antibody tests. They are beginning to understand them for detection at different points of the infection.
Discussing the test validation for the new tests that have been coming out since March.
The FDA still expects the developers to validate their tests.
Working with CDC to validate the 90 manufacturers (independent validation). They are not playing... they are going after anyone saying a test has been approved when it has not.

Press: How many of these tests actually work?
Hahn: Self validation and they must label that. Expect to have more results on the FDA validation.

Press: Wanting to beat up on hydroxychloroquine again.
Hahn: Doctor needs to consider the prescription. The one study the press mentioned was small. And, the preliminary date says hydroxychloroquine has been helpful.
All trials are in progress. It will be early summer before those trials are finished.

Press: Va study, that more people died on hydroxychloroquine than off it.
Trump: We will take a look at it.

Asked a buncha stuff, including about NK.
Trump: I wish him well.

LMAO
It was CNN that came out with the report, and when CNN comes out with it, I don't put too much credence in it.

One would think that only the more seriously ill are being given HCQ. The people that are not seriously ill or have no symptoms to be included in this equation is ludicrous. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Your assumptions about this have no basis in reality. They’re based on a false choice, a false hope. Lockdowns and staying home another 4-8 weeks isn’t likely to save many if any lives. It will simply change the date of illness and probably of death. Not only are we not building herd immunity while shuttered indoors, but we’re tanking the economy even further into the abyss. We won’t be any meaningful measure safer from Covid 19 in two to three months than we are now. Coronavirus is now part of our overall landscape, whether or not you want to admit it to yourself. Yes, more people are going to die from this. There won’t be a vaccine anytime soon; perhaps not ever. Treatments will eventually emerge, but the economy isn’t designed to shut down for an extended period of time, nor is government set up to continually pay it’s citizenry to be idle. No, Covid19 will now just have to be factored into our daily risk tolerance. Some may stay holed up in a cave for years or whatever, but most will eventually say they’d rather go on with their lives and do what they wish. There were large gatherings and sports events, theaters and bars in previous eras where the risk of disease and death were far greater. Indeed, life expectancy was much shorter largely due to disease. 

I'm coming around to this.  Compared to 2 months ago we as citizens know a lot more about this virus including the symptoms, preventative measures and risks.  It's time we resume more normal activity while following some preventative guidelines and let individuals decide for themselves what they do and don't want to do.  Those at greater risk or who are more risk averse can protect themselves as they wish.  

One potential problem with this however is the potential for liability to be heaped upon employers or other organizations if the sick decide to become plaintiffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I'm coming around to this.  Compared to 2 months ago we as citizens know a lot more about this virus including the symptoms, preventative measures and risks.  It's time we resume more normal activity while following some preventative guidelines and let individuals decide for themselves what they do and don't want to do.  Those at greater risk or who are more risk averse can protect themselves as they wish.  

One potential problem with this however is the potential for liability to be heaped upon employers or other organizations if the sick decide to become plaintiffs. 

It’s a potentional problem, yes. However, one would have to prove that accepted guidelines weren’t being followed. It will also be difficult to prove just where someone became infected. In short, no one has a legal right not to become sick through random chance, or to be infected by someone who didn’t even know they had an illness. I’m sure lawyers will have a field day finding people to blame for someone else’s bad luck. 

1 minute ago, Party Before Country said:

I thank God we have Donald J Trump leading us through this.

He's the man to lead us through this crisis.

Could you just imagine the confusion and uncertainty that we'd have if those Dems were in charge?

He's done everything perfectly!

Another troll.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Buried in this thread is a tweet from one of the ventilator manufacturers (back in February or early March). He laid out exactly why everyone who manufactured ventilators in the US closed up shop except for his family-owned company, and one other company. He stated the taxes on Obamacare made it very difficult for ventilators to be made in the United States. He may have been lying (not sure why he would be), but as the guy whose factory was one of two building them... tough to disregard what he said.

It isn't / wasn't just ventilators that got reduced to 2 suppliers.  Obamacare did that to ALL medical suppliers - 2 winners for wheelchairs, ventilators, etc.  That was a feature, not a bug.  At least that was how it was explained when it was implemented.

Don't have the details on it (because it wasn't my primary business & was ~10 years ago), but a client of mine advised companies on how to prepare for the Obamacare bidding.  He used to tell horror stories of how multigenerational manufacturers were going to get forced to close due to not being big enough to be 1 of those final 2 suppliers.  Recall @Magox was up on the ACA when it passed.  Maybe he has clearer details on that.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

It isn't / wasn't just ventilators that got reduced to 2 suppliers.  Obamacare did that to ALL medical suppliers - 2 winners for wheelchairs, ventilators, etc.  That was a feature, not a bug.  At least that was how it was explained when it was implemented.

Don't have the details on it (because it wasn't my primary business & was ~10 years ago), but a client of mine advised companies on how to prepare for the Obamacare bidding.  He used to tell horror stories of how multigenerational manufacturers were going to get forced to close due to not being big enough to be 1 of those final 2 suppliers.  Recall @Magox was up on the ACA when it passed.  Maybe he has clearer details on that.

Forward!!

2 minutes ago, Party Before Country said:

I thank God we have Donald J Trump leading us through this.

He's the man to lead us through this crisis.

Could you just imagine the confusion and uncertainty that we'd have if those Dems were in charge?

He's done everything perfectly!

It is a good thing, for sure. If a Dem was in power, we’d have a new green deal or whatever , more public transportation to spread Covid19 like wildfire, free money to stay out of work for another year or more , no airlines , food lines and maybe reparations too. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1