The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, Magox said:

There is no doubt that there are labs out there that need more supplies to get more testing done.   With that said, the federal testing administered locations seem to be ready to do more immediate testing and from the sounds of it, they weren't being utilized.   But to the article I posted, Quest Diagnostics' issues have nothing to do with lack of supplies or any of that other jazz, their previous issues was that they had too much demand which created backlogs slowing down the time that people could get tests done and receive their results, essentially they lacked capacity early on. 

Now, they have increased their capacity and are continuing to increase it and their problem now is that there aren't enough people who need testing being directed their way.  This is something that the states governors will need to coordinate with medical providers, hospitals etc. to get more people using Quest Diagnostics.

I think that may have been why the Coronavirus task team gave out an inches-thick memorandum of 5,000 machines, including the NAZ+phone numbers for those labs, and maps on where the labs are located, to the Governors.

There is far more out there than Quest.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think that may have been why the Coronavirus task team gave out an inches-thick memorandum of 5,000 machines, including the NAZ+phone numbers for those labs, and maps on where the labs are located, to the Governors.

There is far more out there than Quest.

So I heard governor Hogan today in an interview and they asked him about how Trump called him out.  Of course he pushed back on that, but when asked about not knowing about the other testing locations, he didn't really seem to answer it head on.  He essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing  "It's good that the Federal Government is making these available to us.".    Not sure if he was implying that they weren't available to earlier or if that was his way of saying that he wasn't aware of them being available to him.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Magox said:

There is no doubt that there are labs out there that need more supplies to get more testing done.   With that said, the federal testing administered locations seem to be ready to do more immediate testing and from the sounds of it, they weren't being utilized.   But to the article I posted, Quest Diagnostics' issues have nothing to do with lack of supplies or any of that other jazz, their previous issues was that they had too much demand which created backlogs slowing down the time that people could get tests done and receive their results, essentially they lacked capacity early on. 

Now, they have increased their capacity and are continuing to increase it and their problem now is that there aren't enough people who need testing being directed their way.  This is something that the states governors will need to coordinate with medical providers, hospitals etc. to get more people using Quest Diagnostics.

One of those supply chain issues... still not sure I fully understand it other than even though available  certain states have already set up testing roots and it may be difficult to bring in another vendor from a purchasing stand point and a facility connection point of contact.  My guess is itll get resolved but may take a couple weeks.

So I heard governor Hogan today in an interview and they asked him about how Trump called him out.  Of course he pushed back on that, but when asked about not knowing about the other testing locations, he didn't really seem to answer it head on.  He essentially said, and I'm paraphrasing  "It's good that the Federal Government is making these available to us.".    Not sure if he was implying that they weren't available to earlier or if that was his way of saying that he wasn't aware of them being available to him.   

Yeah, he got beat up pretty badly yesterday. First Trump, then the Admiral, then Pence steps in being all diplomatic. He must have been something on that call.

• Like (+1) 2

Probably the former... Governors on both sides of the aisle are still frustrated with slow disjointed fed response.  

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Probably the former... Governors on both sides of the aisle are still frustrated with slow disjointed fed response.  

Which is only an admission by those governors that they don't understand our system of government and how its supposed to work. Which should be more alarming than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One of those supply chain issues... still not sure I fully understand it other than even though available  certain states have already set up testing roots and it may be difficult to bring in another vendor from a purchasing stand point and a facility connection point of contact.  My guess is itll get resolved but may take a couple weeks.

It's complicated.   There are a number of different entities that are conducting these tests.  Each entity has their own challenges.  Many people like @shoshin get confused and seem to believe that all these locations are facing the same issues.  It's a lot more complex than that and some entities are able to meet demand better than other entities for a variety of reasons.  It could be due to lack of chemicals, swabs, lack of coordination to direct people to the appropriate locations or in Quest Diagnostics' situation too much demand which created backlogs.  

It's a huge undertaking and there are a lot of moving parts and the local, state and federal government or for that matter all the medical, hospital and labs never had to deal with something as massive as this and try to have it resolved in such a short time period.  But they do seem to be making marked progress on a daily basis.   And for me that's encouraging.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Which is only an admission by those governors that they don't understand our system of government and how its supposed to work. Which should be more alarming than anything else. 

I would not discount this.  I cannot imagine what this task force has had to deal with on the state level.

They have been trying very hard to not embarrass any of the Governors, unless they have REALLY been stupid. Besides Hogan, I have only heard Pritzker being dumped on. Trump-Cuomo have been doing the love-hate thing since this started. Pretty much everyone else... even Jay Inslee,  for goodness sake! Trump has praised/had nice words for. 

People really should listen to these pressers instead of getting their news through the filter of the "msm."

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

That makes no sense to me... FEMA and FDA have always had their issues, but have functioned much better in previous emergencies after rough starts.  The disjointed slow response from Fed leadership made the issue so much worse for the States.  I still think States like Florida and Georgia opening up too soon are in for a rude awakening in a couple weeks.

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Let's be clear, Hogan was considering running against Trump for 2020 and he does reside in a blue state.  He's not a fan of Trump and of course the Democratic governors have their own motives.   They aren't being reasonable North Buffalo, for the reasons I responded earlier to expect that the Federal Government was going to have this in a manner that they were requesting was completely unrealistic.    Let's call this for what it is, they are now making this the big issue and the reason being is that they are using it as a pretext to open up the economy.   So the argument and blame game is already being paved, "We can't open up the economy without more testing, and if we do and you don't give us the testing we say we need, then it's your fault".

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I would not discount this.  I cannot imagine what this task force has had to deal with on the state level.

They have been trying very hard to not embarrass any of the Governors, unless they have REALLY been stupid. Besides Hogan, I have only heard Pritzker being dumped on. Trump-Cuomo have been doing the love-hate thing since this started. Pretty much everyone else... even Jay Inslee,  for goodness sake! Trump has praised/had nice words for. 

People really should listen to these pressers instead of getting their news through the filter of the "msm."

I get the sense that Trump Cuomo relationship is lot like Gingrich Clinton.., they take shots at each other in public when they have different priorities but actually work together well to get ***** done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get the sense that Trump Cuomo relationship is lot like Gingrich Clinton.., they take shots at each other in public when they have different priorities but actually work together well to get ***** done.

I actually agree with this.  There is enormous pressure on Cuomo to trash Trump, and Cuomo most likely eventually will on a sustained basis here in the coming months leading up to the elections.  But, Cuomo does have his own big personality and he's not going to get easily bullied by the pressure to Trash Trump, he will do it on his own terms.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Let's be clear, Hogan was considering running against Trump for 2020 and he does reside in a blue state.  He's not a fan of Trump and of course the Democratic governors have their own motives.   They aren't being reasonable North Buffalo, for the reasons I responded earlier to expect that the Federal Government was going to have this in a manner that they were requesting was completely unrealistic.    Let's call this for what it is, they are now making this the big issue and the reason being is that they are using it as a pretext to open up the economy.   So the argument and blame game is already being paved, "We can't open up the economy without more testing, and if we do and you don't give us the testing we say we need, then it's your fault".

If what you say is true and sure some is the political blame game, but from what I saw Feds got caught with their pants down.  States once they realized this reacted fast to catch up.  Feds are finally figuring out what they can do well.  Feds couldve been so much better helping with logistics and in some things they did well and other things like mask supplies they FUBARed it. IMO is was more parochial politics like who gets credit and pays for building and paving a bridge on an interstate.

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

If what you say is true and sure some is the political blame game, but from what I saw Feds got caught with their pants down.  States once they realized this reacted fast to catch up.  Feds are finally figuring out what they can do well.  Feds couldve been so much better helping with logistics and in some things they did well and other things like mask supplies they FUBARed it. IMO is was more parochial politics like who gets credit and pays for building and paving a bridge on an interstate.

Your leaving out the China of it all in your analysis. 

The fact China was lying to the world about the virus while hording PPE surely slowed the response time and ***** up the logistical supply chains more than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

It could have been handled better on all levels. Without doubt

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Your leaving out the China of it all in your analysis. 

The fact China was lying to the world about the virus while hording PPE surely slowed the response time and ***** up the logistical supply chains more than anything else. 

In December sure but not by January when even the independent and networked hospital I work at was scrambling because it realized it were about to get overwhelmed...

And ps I dont trust China or businesses that use Chinese labor further than I can throw them.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

In December sure but not by January when even the independent and networked hospital I work at was scrambling because it realized it was about to get overwhelmed...

And ps I dont trust China or businesses that use Chinese labor further than I can throw them.

In mid January the WHO was still telling the world that the virus wasn't transmissible from human to human. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Why should the feds have had 500M masks on hand? Especially since the elastic can dry rot (and that was the initial problem with some of the stockpile).  The ventilators, they all (state and feds) should have replaced when the old ones became obsolete (Obamacare made them so expensive, they were only produced here by two businesses prior to COVID-19).

I am in awe of what has been done by the Feds to assist the states. From building a hospital in under a week, to retrofitting buildings for patients, to forcing supply chains that has been outsourced to other countries into the US.

Nothing has been perfect. And, it is distressing that China did not inform the world about this virus.

One thing is for certain... the United States cannot depend upon other countries for needed medical goods. I sincerely hope these are brought back to the US, even if the government needs to subsidize the business to make it happen.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3