The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, GG said:

You're probably aware that there are a few things that bosses hate more than alarmist memos that don't offer a solution to the alarm.    Unless of course, the memo was written specifically to provide the downside scenario, which we discussed before.

So, are you suggesting trump was completely unaware of the severity of the virus then?  China lied?  It's a nice scapegoat and I'm sure they've been spinning the tale for quite some time now.  Those with TLS can't seem to accept any criticism of HIM for anything....  #OrangemanGOD

My argument has always been they were fully aware of its severity, but he (and others like Kudlow and mnuchin) was more concerned about the economic/stock market numbers until Wall Street got his attention on March 16th.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hedge said:

If you are having a hard time finding a mask, this young lady probably has a very short wait list for her product:

Maybe she's looking ahead? With the obesity epidemic in America, give it a few more weeks and maybe the virus will be too chubby to fit through the holes...?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TPS said:

I don't know that he ever said to shut down the economy, but he did warn the virus could kill 100s of 1000s.  As you know, being aggressive early with testing, isolation, and contact tracing is how some countries were able to prevent the calamity.

So, let me get this straight:

If

A) Being aggressive early is how some countries were able to prevent the calamity of 100s of 1000s dead

and

B) This country prevented the calamity of 100s of 1000s dead

then

C) This country must have acted aggressive enough and early enough

No?

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TPS said:

So, are you suggesting trump was completely unaware of the severity of the virus then?  China lied?  It's a nice scapegoat and I'm sure they've been spinning the tale for quite some time now.  Those with TLS can't seem to accept any criticism of HIM for anything....  #OrangemanGOD

My argument has always been they were fully aware of its severity, but he (and others like Kudlow and mnuchin) was more concerned about the economic/stock market numbers until Wall Street got his attention on March 16th.

This has been discussed, but I will repeat.   

Every executive wants an optimistic scenario, base scenario and downside scenario from his subordinates.  Plans are always made on the base scenario.  It sounds like Navarro prepared the downside scenario.  So yeah, the administration knew how bad it COULD get, but nothing that was coming from the health officials in January or February indicated that the downside scenario was playing out.  It's easy to say so in retrospect, knowing that that the downside scenario played out.  But it was far from the case in January and February.

And now that Navarro is warning about the risks of holding too long to reopen the economy, it surely doesn't square with a guy who was supposed to have issued a dire warning in January.  Sounds more like he prepared the downside considerations in January (and likely the probability of that downside coming to pass) for Trump to make a decision.

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, let me get this straight:

A) If being aggressive early is how some countries were able to prevent the calamity of 100s of 1000s dead

and

B) This country prevented the calamity of 100s of 1000s dead

then

C) This country must have acted aggressive enough and early enough

No?

1. Navarro warned it could cause a significant number of deaths, and we needed to take it seriously.

2, Those that did take it seriously and did what has been prescribed as how to successfully take it on have the lowest deaths per million (< 5) and I don't think had any significant economic dislocation.

Our response has us somewhere in the middle--we're not Italy and we're not Singapore. Could we have been Singapore had we immediately responded?  It's possible...

18 minutes ago, TPS said:

Wall Street was getting hit hard in the middle of February.

5 minutes ago, TPS said:

1. Navarro warned it could cause a significant number of deaths, and we needed to take it seriously.

2, Those that did take it seriously and did what has been prescribed as how to successfully take it on have the lowest deaths per million (< 5) and I don't think had any significant economic dislocation.

Our response has us somewhere in the middle--we're not Italy and we're not Singapore. Could we have been Singapore had we immediately responded?  It's possible...

I think Singapore is a poor example to use, given the population and location. I think if you want to use an example, it should be a country with a substantial population and a significant number of cases. In that category, South Korea is in a league by itself. Personally, I feel like South Korea is an outlier and the example that should be used is Germany. I would put us much closer to germany than Italy, Spain, France, UK, etc.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

</snip>

Today, the Department filed a Statement of Interest in support of a church in Mississippi that allegedly sought to hold parking lot worship services, in which congregants listened to their pastor preach over their car radios, while sitting in their cars in the church parking lot with their windows rolled up.  The City of Greenville fined congregants $500 per person for attending these parking lot services – while permitting citizens to attend nearby drive-in restaurants, even with their windows open.[1]  The City appears to have thereby singled churches out as the only essential service (as designated by the state of Mississippi) that may not operate despite following all CDC and state recommendations regarding social distancing.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think Singapore is a poor example to use, given the population and location. I think if you want to use an example, it should be a country with a substantial population and a significant number of cases. In that category, South Korea is in a league by itself. Personally, I feel like South Korea is an outlier and the example that should be used is Germany. I would put us much closer to germany than Italy, Spain, France, UK, etc.

Speaking of the Singaporean myth, especially in applying it to the US ....

Had a chat with a colleague there this morning, and she gave a quick recap.

The city-state had stellar precautions with a hard & fast response early on.  Those efforts worked initially, and the city wasn't totally clamped down.   However, a second wave just hit, largely from foreigners and the city is on full lock down now, when it wasn't for the first wave.  New case growth is double digits after they thought it was contained.  Now the border is shut completely, everyone is required to wear a mask, no group gatherings are allowed and the extreme contact tracking is in force.   She said that life was fairly normal there until a week ago.  

• Thank you (+1) 4

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, you are an expert in dumb

So, there's that....

Took you that long for a response and this is all you could manage? Trump said he loves the uneducated... B.c those are his biggest supporters.

Edited by Hardhatharry

55 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Taiwan, Singapore, and SK are lumped into the top category for how they dealt with it.  Do I think we could've done that? No. Do I think we could've done better, yes.  

You won't like it, but the fact that Fox and trump were down playing it didn't help.  I'm also with GG on the fact that you have 50 states with different reactions and policies too...

Researching cd147. Lots people saying this virus can get into ACE2 and CD147 . Red blood cells  (maybe immune system cells with 147?) and many more cells. 

Little evidence on it right now going to try to study deeper into it. 

The interesting part is again  chloroquine or hydrochloroquine works on CD 147  treat malaria.

Role in malaria[edit]

It has recently (November 2011) been found that basigin is a receptor that is essential to erythrocyte invasion by most strains of Plasmodium falciparum, the most virulent species of the plasmodium parasites that cause human malaria. It is hoped that by developing antibodies to the parasite ligand for Basigin, Rh5, a better vaccine for malaria might be found.[7] Basigin is bound by the PfRh5 protein on the surface of the malaria parasite.

Role in SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19)[edit]

The host-cell-expressed basigin (CD147) may bind spike protein of SARS-CoV-2 and possibly be involved in host cell invasion.[17] Consequently, meplazumab, a humanized anti-CD147 antibody has been tested in patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia.[18] The exact role and significance of basigin in COVID-19 is still unknown (as of March 2020).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basigin

No way if this is from a bat. Looking more lab made. Not saying true but a possibility.  Needs more research on CD147.

I think sometime scientists going to find this out as well. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 11:49 AM, Donald Trump said:

Tibs, Tibs, Tibs...where did your mother and I go wrong?

DONALD!!!!! You're telling me you have another illegitimate child? And it's TIBS?!?!?!

bebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelaniabebestmelania