The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

THE FDA AND CDC HAVE NOT MADE BIG GOVERNMENT LOOK GOOD: 

The COVID-19 Crisis Is the Result of Decades of FDA Misrule.

30% pay cut for me at our empty hospital with zero China virus patients.
Losing over a million a day cause us surgeons can’t do the elective surgeries.
Many community hospitals will not survive this

5:20 PM · Apr 11, 2020

It’s the people who currently have an income and want the shutdowns to continue that are selfish. They have what they need and couldn’t care less that millions are losing everything. That is not my position.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Took 28 days, but we had our first super shady attempt to get into our apartment yesterday -- we live in a bigger building, 100+ residents. Started with knocking and a man asking my significant other if she dropped something outside and to open the door. She refused (because: duh), the knocking became banging, then a tool of some kind to our lock. 

Called the cops -- they said they aren't responding to less than an actual B&E, not an attempted B&E. 

The only plus is took about ten seconds for my s/o to move from "we don't need a gun in LA" to "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE A GUN?!" :lol: 

Only 33 more days to go in LA County... I'm sure it won't get worse.

That's some real malleable clay there for you to work with. Maybe start her out with a gift of "Atlas Shrugged"?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

THE FDA AND CDC HAVE NOT MADE BIG GOVERNMENT LOOK GOOD: 

The COVID-19 Crisis Is the Result of Decades of FDA Misrule.

It’s the people who currently have an income and want the shutdowns to continue that are selfish. They have what they need and couldn’t care less that millions are losing everything. That is not my position.

I’m pretty sure Trump absolutely destroying our pandemic infrastructure had nothing to do with Trumps half assed response. 

I have news Republican Party - 21,400 Americans are dead. It is widely reported that there were warning and this was largely avoidable. 

You knew. You were briefed. You used that information to sell your stocks. 

Don’t think you will not he held accountable.

And you let it continue!

ps: How many Benghazi hearings on four unfortunate deaths? Just like Russia; this will haunt Trump and the GOPigs endlessly. 

"On the same day that the New York metropolitan area had the highest number of deaths they had, when you look at the admissions, the hospitalizations, the intensive care, and the need to intubate..."

"... that not only has flattened; it's starting to turn the corner. So, that's where we're hopeful. And it's cautious optimism that we're seeing that decrease. And if you look at the patterns of the curves in other countries, once you turn that corner, hopefully, we will see a very sharp decline. And then you can start thinking about how we can keep it that way and prevent it from resurging, when you're starting to think about a gradual reentry of some sort of normality, some rolling reentry. So, you're trying to balance two things. You want to make sure you don't do something prematurely and precipitously. At the same time, you pay attention to the need to try and get back to normal.... It is not going to be a light switch that we say, OK, it is now June, July or whatever, click, the light switch goes back on. It's going to be depending where you are in the country, the nature of the outbreak that you have already experienced, and the threat of an outbreak that you may not have experienced.... Obviously, New York... is going to be very different from Arkansas... and very different maybe from some places on the West Coast, like Washington state, which have been successfully able to prevent that big spike.... We are hoping that, at the end of the month, we could look around and say, OK, is there any element here that we can safely and cautiously start pulling back on? If so, do it. If not, then just continue to hunker down...."

Said Anthony Fauci, interviewed this morning on Jake Tapper's "State of the Union" (full transcript).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I was asleep when it started. The banging woke me up. I ran downstairs and used my "man" voice to ask him what the F he wanted (in more colorful language) and the guy took off. My guess is that he either saw my girl on our porch from outside and assumed she was alone/easy target and the sound of a second person inside changed his calculus. She got his description, we gave it to the cops (I didn't get a visual, he was gone by the time I got to the door) but she didn't think he lived in our building. 

:beer: 

Yesterday afternoon! :lol: My s/o prefers knives, so she ordered a 9 inch bowie knife. I tried to point out that using an edged weapon in a pandemic isn't as safe as a ranged weapon -- but she already committed. 

Is your s/o named Michonne?

And if your "man voice" scared him away.......sheesh.  IYHO do you sound more like Mermaid Man or Barnacle Boy?

• Haha (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, B-Man said:

"On the same day that the New York metropolitan area had the highest number of deaths they had, when you look at the admissions, the hospitalizations, the intensive care, and the need to intubate..."

"... that not only has flattened; it's starting to turn the corner. So, that's where we're hopeful. And it's cautious optimism that we're seeing that decrease. And if you look at the patterns of the curves in other countries, once you turn that corner, hopefully, we will see a very sharp decline. And then you can start thinking about how we can keep it that way and prevent it from resurging, when you're starting to think about a gradual reentry of some sort of normality, some rolling reentry. So, you're trying to balance two things. You want to make sure you don't do something prematurely and precipitously. At the same time, you pay attention to the need to try and get back to normal.... It is not going to be a light switch that we say, OK, it is now June, July or whatever, click, the light switch goes back on. It's going to be depending where you are in the country, the nature of the outbreak that you have already experienced, and the threat of an outbreak that you may not have experienced.... Obviously, New York... is going to be very different from Arkansas... and very different maybe from some places on the West Coast, like Washington state, which have been successfully able to prevent that big spike.... We are hoping that, at the end of the month, we could look around and say, OK, is there any element here that we can safely and cautiously start pulling back on? If so, do it. If not, then just continue to hunker down...."

Said Anthony Fauci, interviewed this morning on Jake Tapper's "State of the Union" (full transcript).

June , July ? Goodness , I hope he is talking about NYC and not all of NYS. NY could be looking at total devastation at the hands of Cuomo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TPS said:

Yes, and I'll say it again, the comparison should be made at similar stages or in a few months when we're through the worst.   I don't think anyone has ever compared us to Italy on this site though, so I"m not sure what you're point is?  For countries with a significant number of cases, we'll probably end up in the middle.  

Gottlieb pretty much validates what Dr Fauci and Dr Birx have been saying but actually puts some additional meat on the bones.

He says that if China had provided genetic viral strains earlier than it did and not withheld it, it would have allowed us to get more of a head start to be able to develop our testing sooner rather than later.

He also heavily faults China and WHO to an extent for their roles in this https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-scott-gottlieb-china-world-health-organization-face-the-nation/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=86395483

Edited by Magox
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I was asleep when it started. The banging woke me up. I ran downstairs and used my "man" voice to ask him what the F he wanted (in more colorful language) and the guy took off. My guess is that he either saw my girl on our porch from outside and assumed she was alone/easy target and the sound of a second person inside changed his calculus. She got his description, we gave it to the cops (I didn't get a visual, he was gone by the time I got to the door) but she didn't think he lived in our building. 

:beer: 

Yesterday afternoon! :lol: My s/o prefers knives, so she ordered a 9 inch bowie knife. I tried to point out that using an edged weapon in a pandemic isn't as safe as a ranged weapon -- but she already committed. 

An edged weapon can be a ranged weapon with some practice, although I’m guessing a 9 inch Bowie would make an awkward thrower.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Is your s/o named Michonne?

And if your "man voice" scared him away.......sheesh.  IYHO do you sound more like Mermaid Man or Barnacle Boy?

:lol: :lol: 

I've been blessed with a voice that can sound quite intimidating (behind a closed door). A few years in radio and doing voice work helped with the projection. I can channel TSW's favorite baritone when needed: 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

I agree  It's best left up to the governors as each state is different in terms of the severity of the outbreak and where they are on the curve.  If they lifted the restrictions right now in New York there's going to be many people still fearful enough that they won't go to work, send their kids to school, and occupy public spaces like restaurants.  There very well could be a second wave too if we go back to life as normal too quickly.  Once the deaths and new cases are significantly reduced that's less likely to occur and fear will dissipate.  I don't know how long that will take but the beginning to middle of May seems reasonable at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree  It's best left up to the governors as each state is different in terms of the severity of the outbreak and where they are on the curve.  If they lifted the restrictions right now in New York there's going to be many people still fearful enough that they won't go to work, send their kids to school, and occupy public spaces like restaurants.  There very well could be a second wave too if we go back to life as normal too quickly.  Once the deaths and new cases are significantly reduced that's less likely to occur and fear will dissipate.  I don't know how long that will take but the beginning to middle of May seems reasonable at this point.

The beginning of May seems about right.  There will still be those who are fearful, and that’s fine. They can remain hunkered down as long as they like. Others can choose to get back to life and take reasonable precautions. That’s freedom, and it’s what matters most. 

• Like (+1) 2