The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct.

My first reaction to that 100k to 200k deaths was there's no way it's going to be that high because you don't want to take the heat for underestimating the number of deaths.  Also, maybe it would scare idiot skeptics enough to stay the frig home. 

That's just nuts though.  I like how Hayes said I can't "quite" bring myself to accept it because he knew he'd come off as a conspiracy theorist.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Foxx said:

"... in Pennsylvania, cases are skyrocketing at the rate of a thousand a day..."

im'a go out on a limb here and say that, even at this time of year the regular flu dwarfs these numbers.

How DARE you compare this Chinese virus to the Flu!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I have a thought:

Stop quoting or retweeting pundits and their thoughts. Pundits are paid to spew their thoughts on a daily basis.

Rachel Maddow, Tucker Carlson, Chris Hayes, Sean Hannity... it doesn't matter.

Sometimes they have news within their shows, but what the hell is the point of retweeting what you did?

You guys are all about snapshot victory laps over here and it's disturbing. It's actually exactly the reason I made that bet with you. That's a victory lap I get to enjoy for 4 full years.

But these momentary jabs everyone over here is prone to taking--and yes, I get sucked into the "fun," too--are just silly.

You quote Chris Hayes and then a guy insulting Chris Hayes. We are 2 1/2 months into the 1st case of this Pandemic in the US and almost 15,000 people are already dead. Hayes speculated that the White House model (which scientists can't seem to figure out where they got their protections) actually over projected in order to look like "heroes" after. Hell, Trump's already basically said that without his intervention millions of lives would have been lost.

That opinion by Hayes, despite your condescension over here, was fairly logical.

However, it was still an OPINION and just doesn't remotely matter right now.

Right now, we are in a seriously tragic moment where more than 1,000 Americans die daily due to this disease. We won't have a clue how truly deadly this was for at least months, but probably years.

But as far as being productive in here, maybe stop posting tweets that are 100% opinion from Pundits and the attached criticism of it.

It's just silly and proves how much of a victim of the moment you really are.

Oh ***** off with your condescending asshattery. People need to be held accountable, especially leftists.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Daily death toll at 1900+ now higher than the average daily deaths for heart disease. Considering we had 15 cases a month ago, that’s a stunning acceleration—and one that distancing is helping control. 

One hope is that all the cases and field treatments lead to something effective quickly like the HCQ treatment that I wish was not such a stupid political lightning rod. 

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Daily death toll at 1900+ now higher than the average daily deaths for heart disease. Considering we had 15 cases a month ago, that’s a stunning acceleration—and one that distancing is helping control. 

One hope is that all the cases and field treatments lead to something effective quickly like the HCQ treatment that I wish was not such a stupid political lightning rod. 

I would say that is a disputed number. Every death besides accidents or murders are now considered covid19 deaths. I bet the actual number is maybe half that, which is still to high.

You have to consider the source and what there agenda is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I would say that is a disputed number. Every death besides accidents or murders are now considered covid19 deaths. I bet the actual number is maybe half that, which is still to high.

You have to consider the source and what there agenda is. 

The death count is the best measure we have. It’s not entirely accurate but that works both ways. Lots of bodies are not being tested, so there are estimates saying the count is low by half. There’s no better measure of progress of this disease that we have. 

11 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The death count is the best measure we have. It’s not entirely accurate but that works both ways. Lots of bodies are not being tested, so there are estimates saying the count is low by half. There’s no better measure of progress of this disease that we have. 

I would think the number of people who recovered would be a more rational way of measuring progress. Deaths are too vague and hard to pin down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, westside2 said:

I would think the number of people who recovered would be a more rational way of measuring progress. Deaths are too vague and hard to pin down.

That statistic relies on case counts, which we know is grossly low by as much as 10x. 

I would love to have good numbers. It’s also why the criticism of the modelers is so misplaced. They are modeling a new disease using ***** data. It’s a no win task. 

Edited by shoshin

This Corona virus is really something. It’s cured cancer, heart disease, COPD, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of other diseases like drug overdose, stroke, and even the normal influenzas.

Is there nothing it can’t cure? It’s like global climate warming change which is proven to be caused by everything, but this insidious Chinese invention CURES everything. Well perhaps TDS but that’s the worst disease of all. 

Quite amazing actually for a disease that can’t be transmitted by human to human contact. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

16 hours ago, Cinga said:

See? You are indeed just claiming ignorance even if lead to the trough. If you would have taken a second to scroll down you could click on the state, and California has PAGES of cases!

But then, clicking takes too much effort doesn't it?

3 pages - zero to do with ballot harvesting. That was the initial claim. Help Mr. Potatohead figure it out

10 minutes ago, Nanker said:

This Corona virus is really something. It’s cured cancer, heart disease, COPD, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a host of other diseases like drug overdose, stroke, and even the normal influenzas.

This is the type of ignorance that Trump supporters eat up.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Nanker said:

Warm buffets can be a real danger zone. Rice in particular. It can have bacillus Cereus. https://www.livescience.com/65374-bacillus-cereus-fried-rice-syndrome.html
Many people thought they were sick from MSG. Not so. Improperly stored and heated rice was likely the culprit. 

Yeah I had an Asian guy tell me once to always get white rice, fried rice is dirty, they reuse from previous day and break it up with their hands.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is interesting, computer model of how a sneeze spreads mist and for how long

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11359723/video-cough-can-spread-cloud-coronavirus-across-supermarket-lingers/

Fluid dynamics is fascinating.  Look up the Navier-Stokes equations sometimes if you really want to get an appreciation for how difficult it is to attempt to model "simple" things like a sneeze. 

That's not specifically what is being modeled in that video but that's what it immediately made me think of.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

3 pages - zero to do with ballot harvesting. That was the initial claim. Help Mr. Potatohead figure it out

This is the type of ignorance that Trump supporters eat up.

And you’re a first class a ####### e. Nobody dies from anything other than this China virus. WAKE UP SHEEPOLE!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

And you’re a first class a ####### e. Nobody dies from anything other than this China virus. WAKE UP SHEEPOLE!!!

You're an offensive dipschit to anyone who has lost a loved one from Covid or anything else in the past few weeks. Why do you laugh and make mockery of thousands of Americans dying? You are pathetic.

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Still not testing near enough.

If the Virus in the first case to hit the area with the most severe outbreak in the US came from a strain that had already traveled from China to Europe and mutated, wouldn’t that be evidence that the China travel ban was effective, and his “victory lap” is justified? Otherwise the first case would be the Chinese strain.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Chandemonium said:

If the Virus in the first case to hit the area with the most severe outbreak in the US came from a strain that had already traveled from China to Europe and mutated, wouldn’t that be evidence that the China travel ban was effective, and his “victory lap” is justified? Otherwise the first case would be the Chinese strain.

That part of the Tweet does not matter but you can blame whoever the hell you want. Test, test, and test some more is my position on this.