The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

i would donate right now in exchange for an antibody test. Let’s make this happen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, meazza said:

Have you seen any studies that strongly support this hypothesis?  Fauci has said this many times that this is virus is most likely seasonal but then you'd expect a complete slowdown of the virus in the southern European states and in Japan in the month of April

No studies on this one yet, AFAIK.  

But knowing that most other respiratory viruses are seasonal, and taking a quick look at the globe, the warmer places most certainly are better in holding down the infections.   There were initial worries about Australia and Brazil, but so far no major areas of concern.  Note that it was Northern Italy that got hit, while the south is spared.   In US, CA, FL and TX are doing much better than anyone would have thought a month ago.   LA is the anomaly, but that’s probably related to Marni Gras. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Washington Post, The Atlantic, Associated Press... all point to a similar level of failure and ineptitude on Trump's part at the beginning of this.

And yet blind homers like @billsfan1959 will point to a timeline that sidesteps the point as proof that somehow Trump has been doing a great job.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 6

8 hours ago, Doc said:

It's based on research.  They've tried it with HIV, which works in a similar way.

I don't see why they wouldn't have.  There's no other treatment.

Is the one not doing well on HCQ and zinc?

Update. Just heard from my friend that’s in recovery. He was on both. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Right, so we need to prove they knew. That tweet just shows them conducting business as usual, while relying on China's data. Whoever tweeted that for the WHO, it's literally their job to inform twitter about the reports coming in so it's a big shoulder-shrug to me. That NY Post article you posted puts all the blame on China.

It’s more than just a tweet.  The WHO’s formal position that there’s nothing to worry about was a major part of  the local governments’ preparations in February.  When WHO was not sounding the alarm as early as possible, deceived other countries about the appropriate response.   What they did was criminal.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Colton Underwood credits two controversial drugs with curing COVID-19 symptoms. 

“Former ‘Bachelor’ star Colton Underwood claims two controversial drugs heavily touted by President Donald Trump ‘saved’ his life after he tested positive for coronavirus.”

Why are they “controversial?” Because President Trump “touted” them.

It would be different if Obama had touted them, of course. Then instead of “controversial,” they’d be “lifesaving miracle drugs.”

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Yes, he is going too far, but it is all bluster, there is no need to listen to him other than direct medical issues.

STOP THEM BEFORE THEY REGULATE AGAIN: The FDA Graveyard. 

For decades, the FDA’s archaic rules have been delaying medical progress and consigning tens of millions of Americans to an “invisible graveyard.” Now a very small part of the graveyard has suddenly become visible: the people dying of Covid-19 because of one bureaucratic obstruction after another to providing tests, masks and other protective equipment.

Ever been to japan? This will be the new normal in many places.  I’m glad that I never have to shake hands with anyone again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

People in 22 or so states.

I don't think they did.  They just announced they'd start paying the $600 federal.

But do they actually make that little or do they make market rate for the job they are doing? I was seeing signs all over for jobs here in WNY that paid $2 over minimum. My understanding is that Walmart is upping their minimum pay to $15 an hour by the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The Washington Post, The Atlantic, Associated Press... all point to a similar level of failure and ineptitude on Trump's part at the beginning of this.

And yet blind homers like @billsfan1959 will point to a timeline that sidesteps the point as proof that somehow Trump has been doing a great job.

giphy.gif

It doesn’t matter. It’s just like everything else of the Trump presidency. He’s either supported by people who supported him anyways or hated by those who hated him anyways. He was never winning over anyone or losing much support either way. Thus is the nature of the most polarizing president in US history. It’s much like anything else I suppose, extremely biased. People who hate him will find anything he did wrong. People who like him will find anything he did right. The truth likely falls somewhere in between but very few people will ever take off their bias blinders one way or the other to see it. 

13 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

But do they actually make that little or do they make market rate for the job they are doing? I was seeing signs all over for jobs here in WNY that paid $2 over minimum. My understanding is that Walmart is upping their minimum pay to $15 an hour by the end of the year. 

Yeah.  Walmart's CEO is calling for the federal government to raise the minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour.

19 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It doesn’t matter. It’s just like everything else of the Trump presidency. He’s either supported by people who supported him anyways or hated by those who hated him anyways. He was never winning over anyone or losing much support either way. Thus is the nature of the most polarizing president in US history. It’s much like anything else I suppose, extremely biased. People who hate him will find anything he did wrong. People who like him will find anything he did right. The truth likely falls somewhere in between but very few people will ever take off their bias blinders one way or the other to see it. 

Well that's a bold prediction. Is that fence getting a little too uncomfortable to be sitting on? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Agree with you man.  I'm going to bed drunk, worried. Hate how world nowdays. Going to sleep before saying something stupid. You're really intelligent around here man. Many others as well. Before myself saying anything stupid. Night just a pissed off guy lots of things..........

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No, I think you’re a good poster and get a lot out of what you share.  I do appreciate it. On the other hand, some things strike me as funny, and I was watching Ozark last night and there was a therapist on that Marty was bribing and, well, you know.

Speaking of that therapist, when I was watching it I knew I knew her from somewhere.  Then it hit me that she's the woman from that Esurance commercial who says "that's not how any of this works."

44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Correct.

I have a thought:

Stop quoting or retweeting pundits and their thoughts. Pundits are paid to spew their thoughts on a daily basis.

Rachel Maddow, Tucker Carlson, Chris Hayes, Sean Hannity... it doesn't matter.

Sometimes they have news within their shows, but what the hell is the point of retweeting what you did?

You guys are all about snapshot victory laps over here and it's disturbing. It's actually exactly the reason I made that bet with you. That's a victory lap I get to enjoy for 4 full years.

But these momentary jabs everyone over here is prone to taking--and yes, I get sucked into the "fun," too--are just silly.

You quote Chris Hayes and then a guy insulting Chris Hayes. We are 2 1/2 months into the 1st case of this Pandemic in the US and almost 15,000 people are already dead. Hayes speculated that the White House model (which scientists can't seem to figure out where they got their protections) actually over projected in order to look like "heroes" after. Hell, Trump's already basically said that without his intervention millions of lives would have been lost.

That opinion by Hayes, despite your condescension over here, was fairly logical.

However, it was still an OPINION and just doesn't remotely matter right now.

Right now, we are in a seriously tragic moment where more than 1,000 Americans die daily due to this disease. We won't have a clue how truly deadly this was for at least months, but probably years.

But as far as being productive in here, maybe stop posting tweets that are 100% opinion from Pundits and the attached criticism of it.

It's just silly and proves how much of a victim of the moment you really are.

• Like (+1) 2