The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

again it is very hard to prove a negative. how can anyone, at this point, with any amount of certainty say whether the leveling off and coming drop in reported cases is due to social distancing or warmer weather.

Because Florida didn’t take many precautionary measures and given the demographics, you should be expecting a greater spread.

15 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

When was it tweeted? January? It's an initial report from Chinese authorities, not the WHO. Why would they not tweet about an initial report from China, where this all originated? It seems like standard procedure, from what I understand of Twitter.

Yes, tweeted in January by the WHO citing China's numbers. Numbers we now know (and the likely WHO knew then) to be false. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't tweet relevant information in a timely manner, I'm pointing out that they've left up perhaps the most damning tweet in their entire organization's history rather than delete it. That's much more honest than I expected from them. 

15 minutes ago, meazza said:

Because Florida didn’t take many precautionary measures and given the demographics, you should be expecting a greater spread.

good point.

they were somewhat behind the curve initially but have since taken up the 'stay at home' mantra. be interesting to see how their numbers progress these next couple weeks.

26 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

At that point in time China had already shut down all of their movie theaters. Unless you think that they were all inhabited by bats, they are acting to prevent human to human transmission but claiming that it is impossible. China is guilty of first degree murder and needs to pay the price for it. 

I agree with that, pretty much.

Just don't understand outrage at a tweet in January about an initial report. Seems misplaced. All that outrage should be placed on Chinese authorities.

18 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yes, tweeted in January by the WHO citing China's numbers. Numbers we now know (and the likely WHO knew then) to be false. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't tweet relevant information in a timely manner, I'm pointing out that they've left up perhaps the most damning tweet in their entire organization's history rather than delete it. That's much more honest than I expected from them. 

What else did they tweet around that time? This seems so trivial without any context. It's not like the WHO said in the tweet "This report is legit". They're just relaying what the Chinese are saying. It can be used as evidence of how the Chinese were misrepresenting/manipulating the facts, if anything.

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I’m guessing it is less a case of honesty and is more or less a total lack of self awareness.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree with that, pretty much.

Just don't understand outrage at a tweet in January about an initial report. Seems misplaced. All that outrage should be placed on Chinese authorities.

WHO either lied or was incompetent. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

What else did they tweet around that time? This seems so trivial without any context. It's not like the WHO said in the tweet "This report is legit". They're just relaying what the Chinese are saying. It can be used as evidence of how the Chinese were misrepresenting/manipulating the facts, if anything.

This was not just a tweet. It was the WHO's stance for two weeks prior to declaring the epidemic. They more than likely knew it was false (because China definitely knew it was false) at the time of tweeting it (again, they did more than tweet, this was their advice to the world re Coronavirus and shutting down borders), but left it up because they had other interests at play (namely, their ties to the CCP).

They told the world in mid-January that this bug couldn't be spread human to human. They could have issued the pandemic much sooner and saved many lives in the process. They didn't... because: China.

(more)

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/who-haunted-by-old-tweet-saying-china-found-no-human-transmission-of-coronavirus/

5 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I’m guessing it is less a case of honesty and is more or less a total lack of self awareness.

Oh, I agree 100%

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

WHO either lied or was incompetent. 

The tweet has nothing to do with that, though. It's just a weird focus on a single tweet where they're forwarding information from a government agency. Aren't they obligated to report this information? 

In a perfect world, we should be able to trust our governments, but you know...

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

The tweet has nothing to do with that, though. It's just a weird focus on a single tweet where they're forwarding information from a government agency. Aren't they obligated to report this information? 

In a perfect world, we should be able to trust our governments, but you know...

It was much more than a tweet -- it was their public stance which they used to base their recommendations to the global community at the time. 

And it was not only wrong, they likely knew it was wrong. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It was much more than a tweet -- it was their public stance which they used to base their recommendations to the global community at the time. 

It was incompetence, negligence, or corruption.  None of which is a good look for them.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Right, so we need to prove they knew. That tweet just shows them conducting business as usual, while relying on China's data. Whoever tweeted that for the WHO, it's literally their job to inform twitter about the reports coming in so it's a big shoulder-shrug to me. That NY Post article you posted puts all the blame on China.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Is that what you got from it?

No, I think you’re a good poster and get a lot out of what you share.  I do appreciate it. On the other hand, some things strike me as funny, and I was watching Ozark last night and there was a therapist on that Marty was bribing and, well, you know.

My bad on that one. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

I just provided the numbers.  They can say whatever they want to say, the facts are the facts.

That article has numbers, including this one that shows the rural cases didn't rise at the same time as the urban areas, but are rising now.Hopefully that slope continues to be less steep but it's not like it's about to level. 

image.thumb.png.3652ddb501924e6e7cb772f3cf74416b.png

Cases are also increasing in more states now, where before this was almost entirely driven by NYC and northern NJ.

Buffalo, from my brother who has volunteered to shift from his hospital to work at St. Joe's (Buffalo's dedicated Covid-19 hospital), has 3X as many cases now as it had 2 days ago. That number won't be going down. The deaths and cases won't rival NYC because of the population difference but this is a problem that appears to be progressing everywhere.  

The distancing is working but no place is immune to this just because they drive more or have more space. They just won't have the NYC experience. 

The place that is surprising is CA. Despite all the people, it has very low #s. 

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

No, I think you’re a good poster and get a lot out of what you share.  I do appreciate it. On the other hand, some things strike me as funny, and I was watching Ozark last night and there was a therapist on that Marty was bribing and, well, you know.

My bad on that one.

Thanks.  But FTR, all I wanted to know is if they gave him HCQ and zinc.  No one had that info.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The WHO's stance on not recommending a travel ban and saying there was nothing wrong with traveling to and from China was incomprehensible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1