The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

“your chances of dying from ...the flu are much greater than catching, or dying from, this disease”

Of course people were minimizing it over and over by comparing it to the flu. Naive or selective memory to think otherwise. That chart draws a slashing line through that talk. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, shoshin said:

“your chances of dying from ...the flu are much greater than catching, or dying from, this disease”

Of course people were minimizing it over and over by comparing it to the flu. Naive or selective memory to think otherwise. That chart draws a slashing line through that talk. 

L.E.T.....I.T.....GO....

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

President Donald Trump on Tuesday threatened to freeze U.S. funding to the World Health Organization, saying the international group had “missed the call” on the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump also played down the release of January memos from a senior adviser that represented an early warning of a possible coronavirus pandemic, saying he had not seen them at the time.

Trump continued on Tuesday to defend his actions in the early days of the crisis. He played down memos written by Peter Navarro, a senior White House adviser, that were made public this week. In the late January memos, the most direct warning as yet uncovered in the upper levels of the Trump administration, Navarro warned that the coronavirus crisis could cost the United States trillions of dollars and put millions of Americans at risk of illness or death.

Trump said Tuesday that he was not aware of the memos back in January

The two memos — one dated Jan. 29 and circulated to White House staff and the other dated Feb. 23 and addressed to Trump — warned that the coronavirus outbreak in China could ultimately kill more than half a million Americans and cost nearly $6 trillion, according to several reports.

Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon told The Post Navarro felt he had no option but to write the memos as infighting between two White House camps broke out over how to handle the COVID-19 outbreak, delaying the administration’s response.

It took more than a month for the government to impose travel restrictions after learning of the outbreak —  Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and National Economic Council director Larry Kudlow were concerned about the economic fallout of banning travelers from China, Reuters reported on Sunday.

So much of Donald Trump's ineptitude as President has been this notion that "Acting ________" is a good title because people somehow do their jobs better under pressure and he could easily use his trademark "you're fired!" If it's not working out.

Except that idiot doesn't realize how impossible some of these jobs of EXTREME national importance are when you're always thinking "how do I spin this to make the boss happier so I don't get fired?" or "maybe I will just keep this bad news to myself."

From Mick Mulvaney to Steve Bannon to... ALL these people Trump hires who his base might cast blame on (as Trump either already has or inevitably will)...

IT'S HIS GODDAMN FAULT!!!!

Can't wait til November when we get this jackass out of office. I just wish it were sooner. 

If wishes were fishes you would be 

6cefb4fdc44d7d9bfb2ab40a33ff1fed.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, shoshin said:

Of course people were minimizing it over and over by comparing it to the flu. 

Ugh. Covid 19 is a form of ‘flu’!  The latest in a long line of these viral infections. It is not an alien force from Jupiter.  It’s just the latest strain of “influenza”. If you read up on the ‘Spanish Flu’ which hit the world in 1918 - 1920 you’ll find we had no cure for that either! By the way the name didn’t have anything to do with RACISM! One quick google search reveals:

”with no vaccine against the influenza infection control efforts worldwide were limited to isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.”

Sound familiar? Covid 19 is indeed’the flu’! And if you read up a bit you’ll find most forms of these viruses come from animals to humans thus our initial inability to fight them with our own body’s natural antibody defenses. For example: swine flu, bird flu, ‘bat 19 flu’

The world is NOT ending people! This has all been played out MANY times before. And, for the Trump haters (and lovers for that matter): this time, just like the last many times...this has ZERO to do with who’s President of the United States. 

Are we done?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yup

On 1/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, Nanker said:

2.3% death rate from the Wuhan bug. 

80,000 Americans died from flu in 2018

1,800 died last year

Perspective people. 

13 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yes, there are tons of people who were wrong including yours truly.

Can we all focus on a plan of how to stop this thing from shutting us down until 2030 or will we all linger on who was wrong when?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

Yes, there are tons of people who were wrong including yours truly.

And me too. I admitted as much. I thought this was a China problem, a small issue, an issue we could control, all the stages of denial right up until the Jazz didn't go on the court.

Can we all focus on a plan of how to stop this thing from shutting us down until 2030 or will we all linger on who was wrong when?

I'm waiting for that myself. We need to hear the plan so we can predict the next year. I don't have it, and await its reveal. Pence, Tony and the crew are working on it, of that I'm sure. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

And me too. I admitted as much. I thought this was a China problem, a small issue, an issue we could control, all the stages of denial right up until the Jazz didn't go on the court.

I'm waiting for that myself. We need to hear the plan so we can predict the next year. I don't have it, and await its reveal. Pence, Tony and the crew are working on it, of that I'm sure. 

As I posted above, the fact that a third wave is going on in Hong Kong and Singapore scares the ***** out of me.

As I posted above, the fact that a third wave is going on in Hong Kong and Singapore scares the ***** out of me.

Why so scared? This is all to be expected. It’s just that in 2020 we hear about the entire world in real time. This has all been played out before.

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Appreciate the concern, but I'm one of those rare lucky people who knew his career path when he was a Freshman in High School.

Never changed and never wavered. Worked hard to earn both my undergraduate then Master's degree in 5 years total.

Love my job. Incredibly rewarding. 

I'm doing damn well.

Thanks for your wish, it was just utterly unnecessary.

Use it on something meaningful, like this Pandemic ending.:beer:

you were bullied in school, weren't you? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ugh. Covid 19 is a form of ‘flu’!  The latest in a long line of these viral infections. It is not an alien force from Jupiter.  It’s just the latest strain of “influenza”. If you read up on the ‘Spanish Flu’ which hit the world in 1918 - 1920 you’ll find we had no cure for that either! By the way the name didn’t have anything to do with RACISM! One quick google search reveals:

”with no vaccine against the influenza infection control efforts worldwide were limited to isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.”

Sound familiar? Covid 19 is indeed’the flu’! And if you read up a bit you’ll find most forms of these viruses come from animals to humans thus our initial inability to fight them with our own body’s natural antibody defenses. For example: swine flu, bird flu, ‘bat 19 flu’

The world is NOT ending people! This has all been played out MANY times before. And, for the Trump haters (and lovers for that matter): this time, just like the last many times...this has ZERO to do with who’s President of the United States. 

Are we done?

I think President Trump doing a good job. But the covid-19 comes from a family of coronavirus. Like sars before, mers, and all type of different family's to it.  Different family's affects animals and to only animals.

Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that can range from mild to lethal. Mild illnesses include some cases of the common cold (which has other possible causes, predominantly rhinoviruses), while more lethal varieties can cause SARS, MERS, and COVID-19. Symptoms in other species vary: in chickens, they cause an upper respiratory tract disease, while in cows and pigs they cause diarrhea. There are yet to be vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent or treat human coronavirus infections.

Coronaviruses constitute the subfamily Orthocoronavirinae, in the family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales, and realm Riboviria.[5][6] They are enveloped viruses with a positive-sense single-stranded RNA genome and a nucleocapsid of helical symmetry. The genome size of coronaviruses ranges from approximately 27 to 34 kilobases, the largest among known RNA viruses.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronaviridae

Taxonomy[edit]

The family Coronaviridae is organized in 2 sub-families, 5 genera, 23 sub-genera and about 40 species:[2]

218px-Coronavirus_virion_structure.svg.p

illustration of coronavirus virion

Coronavirus[edit]

Main article: Coronavirus
220px-Coronavirusdiagram.jpg

Illustration of a coronavirus

Coronavirus is the common name for Coronaviridae and Orthocoronavirinae, also called Coronavirinae.[4][5] Coronaviruses cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, the viruses cause respiratory infections, including the common cold, which are typically mild, though rarer forms such as SARS (including the one causing COVID-19) and MERS can be lethal. Symptoms vary in other species: in chickens, they cause an upper respiratory disease, while in cows and pigs coronaviruses cause diarrhea. There are no vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent or treat human coronavirus infections. They are enveloped viruses with a positive-sense single-stranded RNA genome and a nucleocapsid of helical symmetry. The genome size of coronaviruses ranges from approximately 26 to 32 kilobases, among the largest for an RNA virus (only second to a 41-kb nidovirus recently discovered in planaria).[6][7] The name "coronavirus" is derived from the Ancient Greek 'κορώνη' (korone), meaning crown or halo, which refers to the characteristic appearance of the virus particles (virions): they have a fringe reminiscent of a crown or of a solar corona.

Orthocoronavirinae taxonomy[edit]

References

The flu is a negative strand of RNA while coronavirus family is a positive strand of RNA.  Flu has a different family.  in the  coronavirus family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales, and realm Riboviria. Reading online.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bills fan.  Thanks for posting the actual information. I was paraphrasing of course for a message board. As I said, this current virus is not unusual in any way. It’s all been played out before.

Right anytime man. Agree with you.  Sars, Mers, covid-19 similar but do way different things can be complex. For detail to detail.

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

Whenever someone compares covid to the flu on here, you can just link this chart. 

But besides that, they are the same. 

except that...

there are reports that deaths from other causes are being lumped into the Coronavirus bin. of which, would not surprise me one bit.

if you want to in/validate the chart you posted give me some statistics on the yearly overall morbidity rates. if that chart is truly representative we should not be seeing things such as the below.

zpjGmv2.jpg

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

ABC News: US intelligence warned of China's spreading contagion in November

The US military's National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI) compiled a November intelligence report in which "analysts concluded it could be a cataclysmic event," one of the sources of the NCMI's report told ABC News.

The source told ABC News that the intelligence report was then briefed "multiple times" to the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Pentagon's Joint Staff and the White House.

Repeated briefings were held through December across the US government, including the National Security Council, culminating in a detailed outline of the threat in the President's Daily Brief in early January, according to ABC News, whose report cited four sources briefed on the matter.

The report, which CNN has not independently verified, raised concerns because of the disease's potential threat to US military forces in Asia, ABC News reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/politics/us-intelligence-report-china-coronavirus/index.html

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right anytime man. Agree with you.  Sars, Mers, covid-19 similar but do way different things can be complex. For detail to detail.

Back at you! The media hysteria and a 24 hour news cycle has made yet another current event intolerable. While the ability of modern science has greatly reduced the time for civilization to react to such a pandemic...we’re simply NOT at the point where this is going to be fixed during our lunch break! The entire world cannot remain in lock down. We need to be looking into best practices to live and function with this virus while the best minds create a vaccine. 

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Back at you! The media hysteria and a 24 hour news cycle has made yet another current event intolerable. While the ability of modern science has greatly reduced the time for civilization to react to such a pandemic...we’re simply NOT at the point where this is going to be fixed during our lunch break! The entire world cannot remain in lock down. We need to be looking into best practices to live and function with this virus while the best minds create a vaccine. 

Not sure agree on that part.  I think the vaccine possibly might make things worse. .  I mean agreeing with a different thing you said.  Lockdown helping some countries a bit. But I understand why other countries not locking down. I understand and I'm concerned as well.  It's a complex virus. But looking at results and prepared like Trump fighting this  andhelping people.  What trying to see from president trump and other places.

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

except that...

there are reports that deaths from other causes are being lumped into the Coronavirus bin. of which, would not surprise me one bit.

if you want to in/validate the chart you posted give me some statistics on the yearly overall morbidity rates. if that chart is truly representative we should not be seeing things such as the below.

zpjGmv2.jpg

That’s an interesting data point and I’m sure you’ve seen the ones that run counter about how many Covid deaths we are missing. I have no doubt that the massive uptick in Covid cases is causing sloppier classification than usual. 

But even *some* sloppiness can’t make this look like the flu.