The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Just saw DRs post above. Still  a  relatively soft response by Trump standards.

First shot across the bow.  His usual MO.

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, shoshin said:

There is definitely a shortage if you count people needing to re-use old masks and use makeshift PPE. That is 100% happening and until this hit, was considered unthinkable.

It's what we have to do right now, but it is real. I don't have a doctor friend locally who isn't seeing it. And our healthcare for things that are considered "nonessential" procedures is in the shitter right now. Coming out of this, we will have a different kind of healthcare crisis where a lot of people are sicker than they were before this started from many other things. My wife's patients are starting to have really serious issues and getting triage treatments in their homes. It is a long ways from ideal. 

I'm not a doom-and-gloom guy on CV-19. I think it's under control and going away. But there are secondary effects coming. No rainbows and unicorns as we come out of this, and we have to be really careful this doesn't happen twice.  

My neighbor's 7 month old girl is having an open heart operation on Thursday, which if successful, will give her time to an age 7 surgery, which would be her last they hope. She will be hospitalized for two weeks. Best doctors in the world. Best health system in the world. But even still, the support around the baby will not be the same as an operation that took place when she was born. They've been told this. 

Part of the "cure" being worse than the disease, and it sucks.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He'll go after their funding next. 

Yeah, hit em where it hurts. Then tell them we can't afford funding as much because of the economic effects of the Wuhan virus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So saith our resident "moderate independent."

Meaning I don't trust most politicians either party.   I believe in bipartisan  government  which is not possible now. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Part of the "cure" being worse than the disease, and it sucks.

I think the thing to be mindful of here is that we can't just get back to work and assume the healthcare can handle what is happening now a second time. It's not that stockpiling ventilators and PPP will make this OK if the cases spike in August. We really will need a clear plan to make sure this is a single event. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I think the thing to be mindful of here is that we can't just get back to work and assume the healthcare can handle what is happening now a second time. It's not that stockpiling ventilators and PPP will make this OK if the cases spike in August. We really will need a clear plan to make sure this is a single event. 

Freedom is hard, and at times dangerous. There's no perfect solution, there's no guarantee that the virus will be all the way gone. But giving up our freedom out of fear is not a long term solution. You got about 2-3 weeks of compliance left with most people. After that, you're going to get into dangerous territory in terms of civil disobedience in major population centers. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

“The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells. People are simply desaturating (losing o2 in their blood), and that’s what eventually leads to organ failures that kill them, not any form of ARDS or pneumonia.“

https://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pilsner said:

“The past 48 hours or so have seen a huge revelation: COVID-19 causes prolonged and progressive hypoxia (starving your body of oxygen) by binding to the heme groups in hemoglobin in your red blood cells. People are simply desaturating (losing o2 in their blood), and that’s what eventually leads to organ failures that kill them, not any form of ARDS or pneumonia.“

https://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

That's gibes with something I've heard that a lot of patients are on oxygen (not ventilators). 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Freedom is hard, and at times dangerous. There's no perfect solution, there's no guarantee that the virus will be all the way gone. But giving up our freedom out of fear is not a long term solution. You got about 2 weeks of compliance left with most people. After that, you're going to get into dangerous territory in terms of civil disobedience in major population centers. 

This ^^^. I believe it comes down to expectations. Modern society has gotten too comfortable with what science/ healthcare and the medical community can provide us. The fact is it does not and cannot give us a virtual guarantee of protection from the dangers present in the natural world. Many seem to expect that such protection should be provided to them. The only way to stay away from this thing is to lock ourselves in our homes and never interact. The economy won’t survive that, so we must carry on. Humanity has faced potentially fatal illnesses in the past and managed to pull through. Surrendering freedoms to fear isn’t acceptable to the human drive and will to survive. 

• Thank you (+1) 2