The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Ya my sister updated on facebook. A heart condition called myocarditis. We don;t know how she got this or why might not ever find out. Everyone tested negative for covid-19. Could be a bad test. In a coma but getting better each day. On a Ecmo machine. 

Really don't understand this. Reseached lyme, swine flu everything. See mers as well has  myocarditis. Heard covid can get to heart. But not sure.  Her symptoms started friday and got way worse Saturday. Don't understand how short of time young and healthy for her and this one. Might not ever know.

If not covid-19 just worried doctors might have covid on them. For a weak person doesn't take much. I would think they are well cleaned. As well as asymptomatic if she heals cannot be around anyone. (hopefully goes away by then)

Viruses causing myocarditis

• Coxsackie (A, B)

• Adenovirus

• Influenza (A, B)

• Herpes simplex

• Cytomegalovirus

• Varicella-zoster virus

• Epstein-Barr virus

• Mumps

• Rubella

• Rubeola

• Vaccinia

• Rabies

• Coronavirus

• Hepatitis B

• HIV

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Florida being slow is a national media misnomer.  I live in Florida and South Florida Dade and Broward county which accounts for 60% of the cases has been on lock down for nearly 3 weeks now.  Orlando and Tampa who are the next most populous areas has been on lockdown for over 2 weeks now.  Disney world has been shutdown for nearly a month.

I live in Brevard county, we didn't have a lock down and the people of our county haven't been going out hardly at all.

So, this is just a national media creation, they know De Santis is the governor of Florida, it's an election year...

I could be wrong and maybe Florida is going to get "destroyed"...But there is no evidence of that yet.  

Considering Florida was one of the first 6 states to have a resident with "community" infection and with all the migration coming from New York, they have done much better than most of the country with deaths relative to their population on a per capita basis.

You can see that right here.

Yes, and remember it wasn't the blue haired grannies partying like crazy and participating in wet T-shirt contests. Those partyers went home to Connecticut and Maryland to spread what they might have picked up. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

Not surprising, it’s the most populous area of the state.  What are you seeing?  In regards to traffic and restaurants etc?

I haven’t been out much the past few weeks as I’ve been working from home and buying 2 weeks worth of supplies at a time when I do go out. I work for the public school system and school closures were announced for my county the afternoon of March 13 right before dismissal time. By the end of that weekend it was extended to the entire state. Restaurants went take out only around the same time, state parks and some non-essential businesses were closed shortly thereafter, and the list of nonessential businesses ordered closed has been growing since. We’ve been under many of the same restrictions and sometimes more than other states with so called stay at home or shelter in place orders, our governor has just been reluctant to call it that until today. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

And every single one of those 10 states are not showing a hint of breaking out.

Again, national media hysteria.

They could break out, but there is no evidence of it. 

I don’t blame JRober, he just listens to what the media says and does what most people do which is accept it.    Sometimes there has to be some additional research and a slight bit of critical thinking to come to a more accurate conclusion.  

This why the media is so destructive, they know that most people are like JRober, tibs and transplant.  People who will by default accept what they are feeding them

So, they have "Made in China" tats on their backs?

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

It decimated tiny villages in Northern Italy but it's not going to hit South Carolina?

I sincerely hope you're right. I would just choose to err on the side of caution. Plan for the worst. 

With evidence showing that social distancing does work, I don't understand why anyone would risk it if there's a working strategy that can really help eliminate the chance that it does hit hard.

I have a friend who works at a hospital in London. He says they're a day away from being at capacity in their ICU. They've stopped hooking up anyone over the age of 70 to a ventilator because they think it's a waste of resources. 

The US has the highest number of ventilators per capita in the world, but most are located in urban centres. It's the rural areas with limited resources that aren't equipped to handle this, which is why I think they should be taking every precaution possible. 

Just my two cents. 

Guess that government run healthcare isn't all it was claimed to be, eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Loved when he asked the reporter “ who are you working for , China ? “ Trumps briefings are the best. 

Well, whaddaya know:

President Trump just asked a reporter from Phoenix TV which is based in Hong Kong repeatedly if she's working for China. She said she works for a private company in Hong Kong that is not owned by the state. Trump said, ‘OK[sic] good,’” Alcindor wrote in a tweet.

Salama was more overt with trying to insinuate Trump was a racist. “President Trump just asked an Asian reporter, who asked a question about China, if she is working for China. When she said she works for a Hong Kong newspaper, he asked if it is owned by China. No, she told him.”

Neither of them did the necessary leg work to follow up on their tweets research whether or not what the reporter claimed was true. Fortunately, our friends Peter Hasson and Chuck Ross over at the Daily Caller did, and she was lying.

Hasson had rediscovered a Washington Free Beacon article from August 2018 that reported: “Phoenix TV has been identified by U.S. intelligence agencies as a major overseas outlet used to spread propaganda and promote the policies of the communist government in Beijing.”

From his research, Ross reported that think tanks such as The Hoover Institution and Freedom House had determined Phoenix TV had ties to the Chinese government. The former called them a “quasi-official” news agency, and the latter showed they were owned by a former Chinese military officer and aired Chinese Communist Party propaganda such as coerced confessions.

The juxtaposition of the entire situation was surreal. Salama works for a news outlet that’s constantly claiming Fox News was “state TV,” Alcindor works for a government-funded news outlet, and they’re defending someone who pushes CCP propaganda. You can’t make this stuff up.

If I had to lay money on it, I would bet that President Trump knew the answer before he asked the question.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Well, whaddaya know:

If I had to lay money on it, I would bet that President Trump knew the answer before he asked the question.

It's like Trump has ESP. Time and time again he makes fools of these people who all think they're smarter than him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Well, whaddaya know:

And a thread:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Magox said:

And every single one of those 10 states are not showing a hint of breaking out.

Again, national media hysteria.

They could break out, but there is no evidence of it. 

I don’t blame JRober, he just listens to what the media says and does what most people do which is accept it.    Sometimes there has to be some additional research and a slight bit of critical thinking to come to a more accurate conclusion.  

This why the media is so destructive, they know that most people are like JRober, tibs and transplant.  People who will by default accept what they are feeding them

For the 2,364,281st time, they're enemies of the people and need to be purged.

• Like (+1) 1

Navarro memos warning of mass coronavirus death circulated in January

In late January, President Trump's economic adviser Peter Navarro warned his White House colleagues the novel coronavirus could take more than half a million American lives and cost close to $6 trillion, according to memos obtained by Axios.

Navarro's grim estimates are set out in two memos — one dated Jan. 29 and addressed to the National Security Council, the other dated Feb. 23 and addressed to the president. The NSC circulated both memos around the White House and multiple agencie

The "naivete, arrogance and ignorance" of White House advisers who disagreed with Navarro "put the country and the world in jeopardy," Bannon said, adding that Navarro was sidelined from the task force after the memo.

The Jan 29 memo set out two stark choices "Aggressive Containment versus No Containment."

Navarro compared cost estimates for the choices and wrote that the Council of Economic Advisers' estimates for stopping travel from China to the U.S. would be $2.9 billion per month. If the virus turned out to be a pandemic, that travel ban could extend 12 months and cost the U.S. $34.6 billion.

Doing nothing (the "No Containment" option) could range from "zero economic costs" to $5.7 trillion depending on the lethality of the virus.

On the high end, he estimated a scenario in which the coronavirus could kill 543,000 Americans.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-navarro-deaths-coronavirus-memos-january-da3f08fb-dce1-4f69-89b5-ea048f8382a9.html

Wow , if only they took Peter Navarro serious back then

Joe Biden: Trump is worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak   Jan 27 ,  2020   USA Today

President has blithely tweeted that 'it will all work out well.' Yet the steps he has taken have only weakened our capacity to respond.

To be blunt, I am concerned that the Trump administration’s shortsighted policies have left us unprepared for a dangerous epidemic that will come sooner or later.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/27/coronavirus-donald-trump-made-us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Navarro memos warning of mass coronavirus death circulated in January

In late January, President Trump's economic adviser Peter Navarro warned his White House colleagues the novel coronavirus could take more than half a million American lives and cost close to $6 trillion, according to memos obtained by Axios.

Navarro's grim estimates are set out in two memos — one dated Jan. 29 and addressed to the National Security Council, the other dated Feb. 23 and addressed to the president. The NSC circulated both memos around the White House and multiple agencie

The "naivete, arrogance and ignorance" of White House advisers who disagreed with Navarro "put the country and the world in jeopardy," Bannon said, adding that Navarro was sidelined from the task force after the memo.

The Jan 29 memo set out two stark choices "Aggressive Containment versus No Containment."

Navarro compared cost estimates for the choices and wrote that the Council of Economic Advisers' estimates for stopping travel from China to the U.S. would be $2.9 billion per month. If the virus turned out to be a pandemic, that travel ban could extend 12 months and cost the U.S. $34.6 billion.

Doing nothing (the "No Containment" option) could range from "zero economic costs" to $5.7 trillion depending on the lethality of the virus.

On the high end, he estimated a scenario in which the coronavirus could kill 543,000 Americans.

https://www.axios.com/exclusive-navarro-deaths-coronavirus-memos-january-da3f08fb-dce1-4f69-89b5-ea048f8382a9.html

Wow , if only they took Peter Navarro serious back then

Trump shooting the messenger. Leadership! 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

For the 2,364,281st time, they're enemies of the people and need to be purged.

Purged? So we can have a media like in Nazi Germany? Or like the Soviet Union? 

Trump tells you to hate the media and you hate the media 

9 hours ago, jrober38 said:

It decimated tiny villages in Northern Italy but it's not going to hit South Carolina?

I sincerely hope you're right. I would just choose to err on the side of caution. Plan for the worst. 

With evidence showing that social distancing does work, I don't understand why anyone would risk it if there's a working strategy that can really help eliminate the chance that it does hit hard.

I have a friend who works at a hospital in London. He says they're a day away from being at capacity in their ICU. They've stopped hooking up anyone over the age of 70 to a ventilator because they think it's a waste of resources. 

The US has the highest number of ventilators per capita in the world, but most are located in urban centres. It's the rural areas with limited resources that aren't equipped to handle this, which is why I think they should be taking every precaution possible.

Just my two cents. 

"Every precaution possible" is absolutely unrealistic and isn't in actuality "possible." Every precaution possible leads to people not leaving their homes for months.

You say the rural areas aren't equipped to handle this, apparently because no one that lives rural has access to transportation to the big city where the hospitals are actually located.  If that wasn't your reasoning, please tell us what it is.

But, though "they aren't equipped to handle this" they also aren't designed to put large numbers of people in contact with each other every single time they step out of their domicile.  It is a heck of a lot easier to practice social distancing living rurally than it is in a place like NYC.

As an example, except for a weekly trip to the grocery store (2 primary we use, have gone alternating weeks to 1 of them to restock what we were low/ out of of) and the occasional trip to the drive through window, in the past 3+ weeks have been within 6 ft of exactly 6 people for all of a combined 10 minutes of anyone not family living in my house.  We aren't even in a heavily rural area.  But that isn't possible in NYC.

And if we take every precaution possible on this, why don't we ban all automobiles and trucks because that would save over 60,000 lives taken in vehicular accidents every year?  That would be every precaution to solve that problem.  That it might leave to mass starvation in the cities and untold cases of dysentery when those same city dwellers can't get rid of their trash shouldn't be a concern, right?

• Like (+1) 1

Trump spent the past 2 years slashing the government agencies responsible for handling the coronavirus outbreak

In 2018, for instance, the CDC cut 80% of its efforts to prevent global disease outbreaks because it was running out of money. Ultimately, the department went from working in 49 countries to just 10.

Here are some other actions the Trump administration undertook to dismantle government-spending programs related to fighting the spread of global diseases, according to Foreign Policy:

Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

Eliminating the US government's $30 million Complex Crises Fund.

Reducing national health spending by $15 billion.

Consistently attacking Mark Green, the director of the US Agency for International Development.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-cuts-programs-responsible-for-fighting-coronavirus-2020-2

52 minutes ago, ALF said:

Joe Biden: Trump is worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak   Jan 27 ,  2020   USA Today

President has blithely tweeted that 'it will all work out well.' Yet the steps he has taken have only weakened our capacity to respond.

To be blunt, I am concerned that the Trump administration’s shortsighted policies have left us unprepared for a dangerous epidemic that will come sooner or later.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/01/27/coronavirus-donald-trump-made-us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/

Face it Alf, you’re just a racist xenophobe globalist, and fascist wannabe too. 

Edited by Nanker

17 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trump spent the past 2 years slashing the government agencies responsible for handling the coronavirus outbreak

In 2018, for instance, the CDC cut 80% of its efforts to prevent global disease outbreaks because it was running out of money. Ultimately, the department went from working in 49 countries to just 10.

Here are some other actions the Trump administration undertook to dismantle government-spending programs related to fighting the spread of global diseases, according to Foreign Policy:

Shutting down the entire global-health-security unit of the National Security Council.

Eliminating the US government's $30 million Complex Crises Fund.

Reducing national health spending by $15 billion.

Consistently attacking Mark Green, the director of the US Agency for International Development.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-cuts-programs-responsible-for-fighting-coronavirus-2020-2

Trump could’ve saved more money and way more lives by simply defunding Planned Parenthood. Problem solved!

• Like (+1) 1