The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Prove she did. We know Trump did, yet he called it a hoax. You are saying she is just as bad as Trump. Right? Nancy changed her tune, Trump kept on spewing nonsense. 

Pelosi's response to this crisis way better than Trump's. Remember when she offered $8 billion in aid and Trump refused that even? Not even close 

So, riddle me this, genius.Trump formed the Task Force on 20 Jan and banned foreign nationals from entering the US if they were in China within the prior two weeks on Jan 31. Do you think the Democrats, who scrutinize everything he does, ad nauseum, weren't in the least curious what he was up to?

And if he wasn't responding how they think he should have at that moment, do you honestly think they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to let everyone know?

Edited by billsfan1959

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Appreciate this. We have five acres, but the garden and coop comprise a 35'x35' area. We are going to do potatoes, mostly because they're easy to grow but also because my son loves the movie "The Martian."  We also have an apple tree, but are preparing to add a couple of more for the reasons you cite above about the corn. My neighbor has 5 acres next to mine, and we plan to bring in some cows and make use of the 10 acres for our own beef, but also to sell.

The goal was never to come here to become as self-sufficient as possible. The garden was my wife's way of ensuring everything we eat is our own.

But she looks really, really smart right now and I have no intention of suggesting it was just a lucky call on her behalf.

Oh c'mon, just tell her even a broken clock is right twice a day. 0:)

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Appreciate this. We have five acres, but the garden and coop comprise a 35'x35' area. We are going to do potatoes, mostly because they're easy to grow but also because my son loves the movie "The Martian."  We also have an apple tree, but are preparing to add a couple of more for the reasons you cite above about the corn. My neighbor has 5 acres next to mine, and we plan to bring in some cows and make use of the 10 acres for our own beef, but also to sell.

The goal was never to come here to become as self-sufficient as possible. The garden was my wife's way of ensuring everything we eat is our own.

But she looks really, really smart right now and I have no intention of suggesting it was just a lucky call on her behalf.

For the fruit trees, even having just single tree, you'll be able to have a good yield once the tree is mature (takes several years to get there) for stuff like apples and cherries.

Pretty cool that you're growing your own.  Good luck with it.

12 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Do you think there is something we aren’t being told? I have no idea, it does all seem surreal though. 

I honestly do not know. It just seems so odd (surreal is an excellent word, actually) that we (the world) went from "no big deal" to "lock down everything" so quickly. Maybe lock down everything is the correct call? Maybe it is an overreaction? But, ¾ of the world agreeing to closing their borders when ¾ of the world could not agree to anything prior to this? It definitely has me wondering.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I honestly do not know. It just seems so odd (surreal is an excellent word, actually) that we (the world) went from "no big deal" to "lock down everything" so quickly. Maybe lock down everything is the correct call? Maybe it is an overreaction? But, ¾ of the world agreeing to closing their borders when ¾ of the world could not agree to anything prior to this? It definitely has me wondering.

Not complicated at all. Theyve learned that the virus spreads in person to person contact primarily from people that are NOT showing symptoms. So YOU could be spreading it like crazy for days without even knowing it. Pretty simple really. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not complicated at all. Theyve learned that the virus spreads in person to person contact primarily from people that are NOT showing symptoms. So YOU could be spreading it like crazy for days without even knowing it. Pretty simple really. 

Don't you dare rain on my tin-foil-hat parade. :censored:

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

be sure to plant Marigolds (to ward off certain pests) and Sunflowers (to draw bees).

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The goal with social distancing was to beat the models so that's a good thing.  It's working and there's fear with experts that if we beat the modeling people won't take the measures seriously anymore.  Unless otherwise notified, stay the frig home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

be sure to plant Marigolds (to ward of certain pests) and Sunflowers (to draw bees).

Our sunflowers had a ***** ton of bees last year, I second that recommendation. I plant a lot of purple flowers and herbs to draw pollinators (bumble bees and hummingbirds).

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, riddle me this, genius.Trump formed the Task Force on 20 Jan and banned foreign nationals from entering the US if they were in China within the prior two weeks on Jan 31. Do you think the Democrats, who scrutinize everything he does, ad nauseum, weren't in the least curious what he was up to?

And if he wasn't responding how they think he should have at that moment, do you honestly think they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to let everyone know?

I thought you said Dems got the National Security Briefing? Are you backing off from that? 

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

be sure to plant Marigolds (to ward of certain pests) and Sunflowers (to draw bees).

Marigolds are excellent to ward off tomato worms less effective to pests that bothers crops such as cabbage.  Yes, sunflowers are very effective in bringing in bees and wasps as well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob in Mich said:

Trump has been overly concerned with appearances over reality at every turn. He chooses to look like he solves a problem over actually solving it whenever possible.  He made a couple of good yet unpopular decisions closing travel from China early on and won't let anyone forget about it.  He spends 15-20% of his time self congratulating.  OMG if I hear one more time about how smart he was, .....  Yes, he made that decision.  He did good.  Since then, he has been his typical idiotic self however.

If I can post the following post three weeks ago why has he still not realized that is what needs to be done?  I also posted about making and using cloth masks weeks before Trump.  Why didn't he kick things into gear weeks ago, if not months?  Answer:  appearances.   Ok, the expert opinions were all over for a while but Jesus Christ, if I can post on this board about practical ideas to help weeks ago, why has the administration been so slow?  Answer: fear of appearances.

And, no one should have to kiss this President's ass in order to get him to do his ***** job.  The people of Michigan should not be punished because Governor Whitmer spoke the truth to this highly flawed fool that is in charge.  If where I worked I saw a manager taking criticism personally and acting so foolishly, I would go over his/her head to report the behavior.  It is not how an organization should operate.  Again, Trump should do his ***** job and that surely includes accepting criticism

3vhxjy.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Marigolds are excellent to ward off tomato worms less effective to pests that bothers crops such as cabbage.  Yes, sunflowers are very effective in bringing in bees and wasps as well.

diatomaceous earth works well for those unwanted crawly things (slugs, beetles, etc...).

37 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have always had excellent luck w/ potatoes and never any w/ corn.

Not sure of the soil pH or nutrient levels (the garden is decent sized for a home garden (1,200 sq ft) but working it is a hobby so don't go too crazy on it) but have the rest of that.  Corn is one of only 2 crops I've tried that haven't been successful with.  Was always told by corn farmers that it was because the plots were too small.  And not too concerned about the soil conditions as we literally have corn field within a block of us in all 4 directions and pretty much any other crop does well in our little garden.

If you're able to grow corn successfully on a 8' xv6' plot, then congrats.  That is quite impressive.  :beer:

Potatoes seem to be more subject to random events during the season therefore impacting yield when not anticipated.  Which is to say you can have an excellent plant but mediocre yield.  Corn can be "willed" a little more by man via fertility, drainage, and irrigation so it will be less impacted by an off season.  Sunlight directly impacts plant sugar so an overcast July and August will definitely reduce the sweetness in sweet corn.

Edited by RochesterRob

Nice job China! 

Cuomo Says China Delivering 1,000 Ventilators to New York ...

time.com › Health › COVID-19

1 day ago - During a press conference on Saturday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the Chinese government is facilitating a donation of ...

https://time.com/5815687/cuomo-ventilators-china-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Bob in Mich said:

We live and we learn. I have learned your opinions are not well informed and that you are quite stubborn

Want to tell us all again how this virus is no big deal?  

Why? Do you want to wish death upon her as you did anyone who disagrees with you? 

Reminder -- the asshat above said this below, without hesitation or regret. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, Bob in Mich said:

If there was justice in the universe, rather than culling the elderly, this virus would cull our world of the idiots.  Please God, start with those that continue to claim that this is all overblown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I thought you said Dems got the National Security Briefing? Are you backing off from that? 

Not at all. I have no doubt they did. Let me rephrase. Let's, for the sake of argument, say that the Democrats were not briefed in any way about the coronavirus, and had somehow had missed seeing, reading, and hearing about it in any way.

When Trump formed the Task Force on 20 Jan and banned foreign nationals from entering the US if they were in China within the prior two weeks on Jan 31. Do you think the Democrats, who scrutinize everything he does, ad nauseum, weren't in the least curious what he was up to? Wouldn't have demanded a briefing? Wouldn't have set up their own committe to look into it? And if he wasn't responding how they think he should have at that moment, do you honestly think they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to let everyone know?

So, now answer the questions that you failed to address at all in your response

Edited by billsfan1959

42 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Starting to sound like me lol. I've become a lot more hands on and agricultural since moving to where I am.