The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Correct! Cuomo is CLEARY auditioning for 2020. I watched today’s PowerPoint and he thanked EVERYONE for what they’re doing....but ....when it came to the Federal Government sending military doctors....not a single ‘thank you’. The distinction was obvious! Go back and watch it for yourself.

I agree. I really despise Cuomo. He had NY woefully unprepared for this , yet throws all blame at Federal government. Sadly,his Democratic base will lap it up. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You forgot the part where Cuomo criticizes Trump first... remember, Trump counter-punches, he does not start. So, the better questions might be... Why can't Cuomo be thankful to the Feds for what they are providing to NYS?  Why does Cuomo have to criticize Trump/the Trump administration? Why can't Cuomo be gracious?  Why does Cuomo have to politicize this crisis? Why does Cuomo have to allow his personal feeling for Trump into this crisis? Why is Cuomo being so petty?

?

What grade are you in?  Who started it?  Are you ***** kidding me?  Without criticism Trump would not have gotten off his ass for even longer. Nevermind

We will never agree. Stay safe

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I agree. I really despise Cuomo. He had NY woefully unprepared for this , yet throws all blame at Federal government. Sadly,his Democratic base will lap it up. 

We were all unprepared. If you show me an American state or politician who was prepared for this, only they can lay blame. But that’s not fair to do. 

Judge everyone by their actions after mid-March, when we all woke up. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

FOR PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES TO SUCCEED THERE MUST BE TRUST. FOR THERE TO BE TRUST THERE MUST BE TRANSPARENCY. 

Colorado: State refuses to let public see local virus spread model.

NEW ORLEANS HAS HIGHEST CORONAVIRUS DEATH RATE OF ALL HARD-HIT AREAS IN US, DATA SHOWS.

Anita Lee of the New Orleans Sun Herald, the author of the above piece tweets, “This story is getting traction today, although I’ve had angry emails about poverty and #COVID19 severity in #NOLA being unrelated. It’s Mardi Gras, they say.”

Hawaii, population 1.5 million, has only 351 confirmed Covid-19 cases, and three deaths, despite Honolulu being a densely-packed urban area and tons of tourist traffic from Asia in December and January.

Puerto Rico, population 3.2 million, has only 452 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 18 deaths, despite a huge amount of traffic between the New York area and the island, and San Juan being a densely-packed city. Like I said, I’m not an epidemiologist, but I’d love to know if someone who is has provided an explanation for these statistics beyond sunshine, humidity, and hot weather. (Note: New Orleans has been consistently hot since March 10, and if that doesn’t slow the spread of the virus, it would definitely throw a monkey wrench into the weather theory, though not necessarily into the “protective nature of Vitamin D” theory, as I suspect residents of San Juan and Honolulu get a lot more sun in the Winter than do residents of New Orleans. P.S. I’m aware that Mardis Gras was likely a “super spreader event,” but if hot weather is protective, the rate of spread in March and April should be slower than in colder climates).

Interesting stuff. Just a guess, but perhaps we’re seeing community spread influenced mostly by cultural/ hygiene habits in those areas. Population density and weather don’t seem as important. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

We were all unprepared. If you show me an American state or politician who was prepared for this, only they can lay blame. But that’s not fair to do. 

There weren’t any. Cuomo will not own it, and that’s the problem. He begs the Feds for help, but blames them at the same time. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Interesting stuff. Just a guess, but perhaps we’re seeing community spread influenced mostly by cultural/ hygiene habits in those areas. Population density and weather don’t seem as important. 

38M people in metro Tokyo agree. 

We need to take a long hard look at places that have almost no spread but a lot of exposure. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

There weren’t any. Cuomo will not own it, and that’s the problem. He begs the Feds for help, but blames them at the same time. 

He should. But if you see any politician owning that they screwed up in their lack of preparedness, I’ll be shocked. The best they all will say is that this caught them off guard. 

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Byron Pitts, co-anchor ABC’s “Nightline,” interviewed Vice President Mike Pence on Friday night.

Pitts asked Pence: "Mr. Vice President, I have a final question for you. And I ask this not in a political way. But for you sir, like so many of us in our nation, you are a person of deep faith. No one doubts that. When you talk to God in your moments alone, do you find yourself worrying at all that people you represent, and care deeply about, have died and will die who did not need to because of steps the federal government did not take soon enough?"

He replied, “Thank you for mentioning that we are talking about one American at a time. We wanted the American people to see the numbers so that we understand the challenging days that lie ahead. But I want people to know that our future is in your hands, that if every one of us will do and put into practice the Guidelines for America, that we can bring those numbers down.”

Pence has much more class than I do, as my immediate response to Pitts would have been something along the lines of:

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They all play a role, but at this point it's difficult to know which of the three C's (climate, culture, custom) is more vital.  But looking at the data from across the world, the evidence is clear that ignoring them puts communities in peril.

USA is probably the most diverse country in the world in terms of climate and cultures, and after a month of the spread, the patterns are too obvious to ignore.  Even if you look at the NYC epicenter of the Wuhan virus, the data is astounding.  NYC started reporting cases by zip code, and it's illuminating. 

One would figure that the heavily Asian neighborhoods would be the worst hit, given the viral origin.  But that's not the case.  The Asian neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Manhattan & Queens show the lowest rates of infections, even though the residents are in the thick of all NYC activity.  The neighborhoods are just as dense and they take the same public transit.  The larger outbreaks are in the Hispanic and black communities.  Also notable are the spikes in the Hasid and Ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods in Brooklyn & Queens (who totally ignore the social distancing recommendations).  

Moral of the story?   For the time being, look at what the Asians are doing during a viral spread.

BTW, be extra careful if you're in Chemung and St. Lawrence counties - they show the fastest growth in the state now.  That's how trouble begins.

Edited by GG
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

On a lighter note, hoarders are getting stonewalled whilst trying to return their hoarded goods. So much schadenfreude!!! ???

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-stores-ban-returns-toilet-paper-soap-coronavirus-panic-2020-3

What a bunch of idiots.  It's not like TP or soap have an expiration date.

7 minutes ago, GG said:

What a bunch of idiots.  It's not like TP or soap have an expiration date.

They're probably running low on cash, but I'll never feel sorry for selfish people like this.

Edited by Gene Frenkle
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

What grade are you in?  Who started it?  Are you ***** kidding me?  Without criticism Trump would not have gotten off his ass for even longer. Nevermind

:blink: That's some world class revisionist history, Bob. Maybe you would like to read the timelines posted in this thread about when Trump "got off his ass."

And, I am not certain why you think it is a-ok for Cuomo to criticize Trump/the Trump administration for their help and support during this crisis, and President Trump should allow his administration to be disparaged. That is nuts. Trump fights. He is fighting the "msm," the Democrats, and people like you willing to spread a false narrative, constantly. Want to know what his supporters like best about Trump? He fights.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

:blink: That's some world class revisionist history, Bob. Maybe you would like to read the timelines posted in this thread about when Trump "got off his ass."

And, I am not certain why you think it is a-ok for Cuomo to criticize Trump/the Trump administration for their help and support during this crisis, and President Trump should allow his administration to be disparaged. That is nuts. Trump fights. He is fighting the "msm," the Democrats, and people like you willing to spread a false narrative, constantly. Want to know what his supporters like best about Trump? He fights.

Who has energy to care. Just keep working to make things better. Both of them. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The reason leftists remain in meltdown mode is because they're unable to realize their Scott Farkus approach to Republicans doesn't work with Trump. They bully and demean and push and shove and the moment Trump swings back, they all whine about what a bully he is.

A Christmas Story - Ralphie Beats Up Bully Christmas, Story, Bully, Ralphie, Farkus, Baby, Cry, Beats, Up, Obscenities, Curses, CHRISTMAS, STORY, christmas, story, RALPHIE, FARKUS, BULLY discover-farkus GIF

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

You know, the interesting thing about repressed sexual urges, is that they always find a way to manifest themselves. The fact that yours are manifesting through projection of them onto others is probably a good thing, speaking strictly from a psychological perspective, as it lessens the likelihood of you attacking unsuspecting strangers and acting them out. 

Thanks ball licker! 

Wait until the masked banditos come. 

• “I know that the crime rate in New York City is down,” said Melissa DeRosa, the secretary to the governor. Mr. Cuomo said his office would provide additional crime data but and that anecdotally, there appeared to be lower crime around the state.

32 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I actually agree with this.  

With that said sadly we know politics will not go away.  And we know that the national press is on hyper super duper drive to push out as much news as possible to undermine the president in an election year and it is being used against Trump by all his opponents.  So unfortunately, this is the game they chose and Trump, conservative media and Republicans will retaliate in kind in the coming months.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Does anyone think that all states should always be completely prepared for any and all possible medical emergencies/situations(ie have all necessary hospitals/equipment/medicines/personnel on hand), OR do you feel we should have a federal stockpile that can be diverted to the areas as needed when necessary? I'm pretty sure most of us expect the latter as we do with natural disasters. I also do not feel there should be any need for anyone to be gracious to ask for OUR(yes our not your-looks at Jared) desperately needed supplies.  I also don't feel there is anyone out there who is glad to see this happening, whether they be the fake news media or the yet another hoax Democrats.  I don't think that saying that the 15 cases would magically disappear was very good advice to help people realize the gravity of the situation, and keep them at home for the sake of the "looking good" stock market.  I could go on and on, but that's not really the point I'm trying to make.  Ok, you can now tell me about all the people who WEREN'T the POTUS who also blundered.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1