The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m not ok with the way the situation has been handled under the current administration you tool. 

You have no clue do you? 

Will you vote for him?

Edit: not to be a dick, truly.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

Jesus worried on something............. My nice into hospital from Jamestown mercy flight. (unsure people tell me. But she is on a machine. Only 5 no pre-existing conditions. Feeling like drinking hardcore going to walk to store.. Not to think about it. Unsure if covid-19. Only 5............ :( Going to get myself some drinks............................................................. Worried as hell.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Will you vote for him?

Edit: not to be a dick, truly.

I didn’t vote for him last time — but if the choice forced upon us is Trump or Biden, it’s an easy choice for me personally. 

One is a narcissistic #######. 

The other is a corrupt, senile, and deeply flawed candidate with an abysmal track record and who wouldn’t be president as much as a puppet for the crowd who made it their mission to gut America for the past 20+ years. 

But that’s me. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scavino45/status/1246655490886639616

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Jesus worried on something............. My nice into hospital from Jamestown mercy flight. (unsure people tell me. But she is on a machine. Only 5 no pre-existing conditions. Feeling like drinking hardcore going to walk to store.. Not to think about it. Unsure if covid-19. Only 5............ :( Going to get myself some drinks............................................................. Worried as hell.

Sorry for seriious. Heard maybe lyme from ticks. Still sucks. But not for sure it is possibility But for sure ticks are out have to be careful with them. A week ago someone got lyme from a tick..... They suck badly. There already out. But i'll keep everyone up to date.

Keeping her in my prayers. 

• Like (+1) 4

Sorry for seriious. Heard maybe lyme from ticks. Still sucks. But not for sure it is possibility But for sure ticks are out have to be careful with them. A week ago someone got lyme from a tick..... They suck badly. There already out. But i'll keep everyone up to date.

Hope everything works out. My best to your family.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I didn’t vote for him last time — but if the choice forced upon us is Trump or Biden, it’s an easy choice for me personally. 

The other is a corrupt, senile, and deeply flawed candidate with an abysmal track record and who wouldn’t be president as much as a puppet for the crowd who made it their mission to gut America for the past 20+ years. 

But that’s me. 

Narcissistic??? That's seriously all you got on Trump at this point?

He's an incompetent moron... and every time you post like this, I legitimately do question more and more just what your motivations might be

This article, which retraces the failures over the first 70 days of the coronavirus crisis, is based on 47 interviews with administration officials, public health experts, intelligence officers and others involved in fighting the pandemic. Many spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information and decisions.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.

The most consequential failure involved a breakdown in efforts to develop a diagnostic test that could be mass produced and distributed across the United States, enabling agencies to map early outbreaks of the disease, and impose quarantine measures to contain them. At one point, a Food and Drug Administration official tore into lab officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, telling them their lapses in protocol, including concerns that the lab did not meet the criteria for sterile conditions, were so serious that the FDA would “shut you down” if the CDC were a commercial, rather than government, entity.

In mid-March, as Trump was rebranding himself a wartime president and belatedly urging the public to help slow the spread of the virus, Republican leaders were poring over grim polling data that suggested Trump was lulling his followers into a false sense of security in the face of a lethal threat.

The poll showed that far more Republicans than Democrats were being influenced by Trump’s dismissive depictions of the virus and the comparably scornful coverage on Fox News and other conservative networks. As a result, Republicans were in distressingly large numbers refusing to change travel plans, follow “social distancing” guidelines, stock up on supplies or otherwise take the coronavirus threat seriously.

The CDC learned of a cluster of cases in China on Dec. 31 and began developing reports for HHS on Jan. 1. But the most unambiguous warning that U.S. officials received about the coronavirus came Jan. 3, when Robert Redfield, the CDC director, received a call from a counterpart in China. The official told Redfield that a mysterious respiratory illness was spreading in Wuhan, a congested commercial city of 11 million people in the communist country’s interior.

Redfield quickly relayed the disturbing news to Alex Azar, the secretary of HHS, the agency that oversees the CDC and other public health entities. Azar, in turn, ensured that the White House was notified, instructing his chief of staff to share the Chinese report with the National Security Council.

U.S. officials began taking preliminary steps to counter a potential outbreak. By mid-January, Robert Kadlec, an Air Force officer and physician who serves as assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, had instructed subordinates to draw up contingency plans for enforcing the Defense Production Act, a measure that enables the government to compel private companies to produce equipment or devices critical to the country’s security. Aides were bitterly divided over whether to implement the act, and nothing happened for many weeks.

On Jan. 14, Kadlec scribbled a single word in a notebook he carries: “Coronavirus!!!”

Despite the flurry of activity at lower levels of his administration, Trump was not substantially briefed by health officials about the coronavirus until Jan.18, when, while spending the weekend at Mar-a-Lago, he took a call from Azar.

Even before the heath secretary could get a word in about the virus, Trump cut him off and began criticizing Azar for his handling of an aborted federal ban on vaping products, a matter that vexed the president.

The CDC had issued its first public alert about the coronavirus Jan. 8, and by the 17th was monitoring major airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York, where large numbers of passengers arrived each day from China.

In other ways, though, the situation was already spinning out of control, with multiplying cases in Seattle, intransigence by the Chinese, mounting questions from the public, and nothing in place to stop infected travelers from arriving from abroad.

Trump was out of the country for this critical stretch, taking part in the annual global economic forum in Davos, Switzerland. He was accompanied by a contingent of top officials including national security adviser Robert O’Brien, who took a trans-Atlantic call from an anxious Azar.

On Jan. 22, Trump received his first question about the coronavirus in an interview on CNBC while in Davos. Asked whether he was worried about a potential pandemic, Trump said, “No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. . . . It’s going to be just fine.”

On Jan. 29, Mulvaney chaired a meeting in the White House Situation Room in which officials debated moving travel restrictions to “Level 4,” meaning a “do not travel” advisory from the State Department. Then, the next day, China took the draconian step of locking down the entire Hubei province, which encompasses Wuhan.

That move by Beijing finally prompted a commensurate action by the Trump administration. On Jan. 31, Azar announced restrictions barring any non-U.S. citizen who had been in China during the preceding two weeks from entering the United States.

But by that point, 300,000 people had come into the United States from China over the previous month. There were only 7,818 confirmed cases around the world at the end of January, according to figures released by the World Health Organization — but it is now clear that the virus was spreading uncontrollably.

A national stockpile of N95 protective masks, gowns, gloves and other supplies was already woefully inadequate after years of underfunding

long article. Read it yourself 

I think I might let you out of the bet just because I feel bad for you and I really and truly hope much of what you say is just the stubborn refusal to lose an argument rather than actually believing most of what you spew.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, westside said:

Or a leading suspect?  Hmmmmm

when I was searching Twitter yesterday for a Fauci statement, I ran into A LOT of wacky crap about Fauci and Gates and how this is all a plot between the two of them. People are nuts!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's an incompetent moron... and every time you post like this, I legitimately do question more and more just what your motivations might be

This article, which retraces the failures over the first 70 days of the coronavirus crisis, is based on 47 interviews with administration officials, public health experts, intelligence officers and others involved in fighting the pandemic. Many spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information and decisions.

The Trump administration received its first formal notification of the outbreak of the coronavirus in China on Jan. 3. Within days, U.S. spy agencies were signaling the seriousness of the threat to Trump by including a warning about the coronavirus — the first of many — in the President’s Daily Brief.

And yet, it took 70 days from that initial notification for Trump to treat the coronavirus not as a distant threat or harmless flu strain well under control, but as a lethal force that had outflanked America’s defenses and was poised to kill tens of thousands of citizens. That more-than-two-month stretch now stands as critical time that was squandered.

The most consequential failure involved a breakdown in efforts to develop a diagnostic test that could be mass produced and distributed across the United States, enabling agencies to map early outbreaks of the disease, and impose quarantine measures to contain them. At one point, a Food and Drug Administration official tore into lab officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, telling them their lapses in protocol, including concerns that the lab did not meet the criteria for sterile conditions, were so serious that the FDA would “shut you down” if the CDC were a commercial, rather than government, entity.

In mid-March, as Trump was rebranding himself a wartime president and belatedly urging the public to help slow the spread of the virus, Republican leaders were poring over grim polling data that suggested Trump was lulling his followers into a false sense of security in the face of a lethal threat.

The poll showed that far more Republicans than Democrats were being influenced by Trump’s dismissive depictions of the virus and the comparably scornful coverage on Fox News and other conservative networks. As a result, Republicans were in distressingly large numbers refusing to change travel plans, follow “social distancing” guidelines, stock up on supplies or otherwise take the coronavirus threat seriously.

The CDC learned of a cluster of cases in China on Dec. 31 and began developing reports for HHS on Jan. 1. But the most unambiguous warning that U.S. officials received about the coronavirus came Jan. 3, when Robert Redfield, the CDC director, received a call from a counterpart in China. The official told Redfield that a mysterious respiratory illness was spreading in Wuhan, a congested commercial city of 11 million people in the communist country’s interior.

Redfield quickly relayed the disturbing news to Alex Azar, the secretary of HHS, the agency that oversees the CDC and other public health entities. Azar, in turn, ensured that the White House was notified, instructing his chief of staff to share the Chinese report with the National Security Council.

U.S. officials began taking preliminary steps to counter a potential outbreak. By mid-January, Robert Kadlec, an Air Force officer and physician who serves as assistant secretary for preparedness and response at HHS, had instructed subordinates to draw up contingency plans for enforcing the Defense Production Act, a measure that enables the government to compel private companies to produce equipment or devices critical to the country’s security. Aides were bitterly divided over whether to implement the act, and nothing happened for many weeks.

On Jan. 14, Kadlec scribbled a single word in a notebook he carries: “Coronavirus!!!”

Despite the flurry of activity at lower levels of his administration, Trump was not substantially briefed by health officials about the coronavirus until Jan.18, when, while spending the weekend at Mar-a-Lago, he took a call from Azar.

Even before the heath secretary could get a word in about the virus, Trump cut him off and began criticizing Azar for his handling of an aborted federal ban on vaping products, a matter that vexed the president.

The CDC had issued its first public alert about the coronavirus Jan. 8, and by the 17th was monitoring major airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York, where large numbers of passengers arrived each day from China.

In other ways, though, the situation was already spinning out of control, with multiplying cases in Seattle, intransigence by the Chinese, mounting questions from the public, and nothing in place to stop infected travelers from arriving from abroad.

Trump was out of the country for this critical stretch, taking part in the annual global economic forum in Davos, Switzerland. He was accompanied by a contingent of top officials including national security adviser Robert O’Brien, who took a trans-Atlantic call from an anxious Azar.

On Jan. 22, Trump received his first question about the coronavirus in an interview on CNBC while in Davos. Asked whether he was worried about a potential pandemic, Trump said, “No. Not at all. And we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. . . . It’s going to be just fine.”

On Jan. 29, Mulvaney chaired a meeting in the White House Situation Room in which officials debated moving travel restrictions to “Level 4,” meaning a “do not travel” advisory from the State Department. Then, the next day, China took the draconian step of locking down the entire Hubei province, which encompasses Wuhan.

That move by Beijing finally prompted a commensurate action by the Trump administration. On Jan. 31, Azar announced restrictions barring any non-U.S. citizen who had been in China during the preceding two weeks from entering the United States.

But by that point, 300,000 people had come into the United States from China over the previous month. There were only 7,818 confirmed cases around the world at the end of January, according to figures released by the World Health Organization — but it is now clear that the virus was spreading uncontrollably.

A national stockpile of N95 protective masks, gowns, gloves and other supplies was already woefully inadequate after years of underfunding

long article. Read it yourself 

I think I might let you out of the bet just because I feel bad for you and I really and truly hope much of what you say is just the stubborn refusal to lose an argument rather than actually believing most of what you spew.

Lol. Washington Post isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Imma gonna vote for the China first candidate.  Anything less is unamerican.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

But that’s me. 

This is pretty much where I am.  I didn’t vote for Trump last time around either.   I find him to be An off-the-charts narcissist.  I don’t like how he communicates some things.  His petulance pisses me off.

But on the substance he’s done a good job with the economy and his actions considering how woefully unprepared the country was for this sort of a pandemic disease which goes back to every other administration and how quickly they are righting the ship on the testing front, the response with FEMA and national guard assisting state and local governments and the responsive task force has been solid.  

And truth be told, I was 100% against the trade tariffs and he received such intense criticism not just from the lefties but even the establishment Republicans and he still pressed on despite the withering criticism from them and the press.   But he was the only bastard crazy enough to go through with it and what I realized was that he had something that no other president had.

unpredictability.  World leaders could not gauge it and therefore at the end of the day it caused them to cave and he won better trade deals than we had before.    

That same unpredictability also helps him with his foreign policy.

So I have gone from a fervent anti Trumper to someone who still loathes many of his personal qualities who will most likely pull the lever for him this time.  Specially over someone like Biden who has a long history of bad decision making.   To this day he is still a bad decision maker on important matters ie. China travel ban.   That would have been disastrous.   Not to mention that if Biden were to be president, he wouldn’t be the one in charge.  He doesn’t have the mental acuity or stamina to lead.  The country would be led by a consortium of unelected lefties from his staff

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What were your china loving liberals doing the first 70 days? 

Let's see.......

1. They called Trump a racist when he decided to ban travel to china.

2. Pelosi was telling people to come on down to Chinatown in February. 

3. During the most crucial time of the virus spreading in the US, the Democrats were holding a sham impeachment trial.

4. Let's not forget the mayor of NYC saying it's perfectly fine to go out on public. 

5. Pelosi rejecting the relief bill to add a ton of pork for her new "green ideas", which delayed the American people and small businesses the money they so desperately need.

6. Sending the endowment of the arts 25 million before anyone received their check. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that her friends are on the board. Yeah, just a coincidence. 

7. Bumbling biden saying he would not have closed the border. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if he were in charge?

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more I missed. And you have the nerve to call Trump incompetent? Thank God he is in charge instead of the left! I know when this is over, he is the right person to turn this economy back into the huge success pre covid19. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That article is bull**** and every legitimate timeline of information absolutely destroys that 70 day accusation. Why don't you do some of your own research and stop just runnig around regurgitating information that fits your narrative , but that you probably don't come close to understanding.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yep. Same for me. First presidential election I did not vote in. Had little respect for either canditate from a personal perspective.

For the most part, I try to separate what I think of a candidate, personally,  and vote for what I think he/she will do from a policy perspective in regard to what I think is best for this country - or at least vote against what I think will harm this country. I just couldn't do  it in 2016.

Easy choice this time.

• Like (+1) 4

We didn’t have to have ventilator shortage — leaders chose not to prep for pandemic

It’s a little late. Several years ago, after learning that the Empire State’s stockpile of medical equipment had 16,000 fewer ventilators than the 18,000 New Yorkers would need in a severe pandemic, state public-health leaders came to a fork in the road.

They could have chosen to buy more ventilators to back up the supplies hospitals maintain. ­Instead, the health commissioner, Howard Zucker, assembled a task force for rationing the ventilators they already had.

In 2015, that task force came up with rules that will be imposed when ventilators run short. ­Patients assigned a red code will have highest access, and other ­patients will be assigned green, yellow or blue (the worst), ­depending on a “triage officer’s” decision.

In truth, a death officer. Let’s not sugar-coat it. It won’t be up to your own doctor.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-didnt-have-to-have-ventilator-shortage-leaders-chose-not-to-prep-for-pandemic/

https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/task_force/reports_publications/docs/ventilator_guidelines.pdf

Did Cuomo  ever explain why he didn't buy more ventilators after the 2015 NY report ?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ALF said:

We didn’t have to have ventilator shortage — leaders chose not to prep for pandemic

It’s a little late. Several years ago, after learning that the Empire State’s stockpile of medical equipment had 16,000 fewer ventilators than the 18,000 New Yorkers would need in a severe pandemic, state public-health leaders came to a fork in the road.

They could have chosen to buy more ventilators to back up the supplies hospitals maintain. ­Instead, the health commissioner, Howard Zucker, assembled a task force for rationing the ventilators they already had.

In 2015, that task force came up with rules that will be imposed when ventilators run short. ­Patients assigned a red code will have highest access, and other ­patients will be assigned green, yellow or blue (the worst), ­depending on a “triage officer’s” decision.

In truth, a death officer. Let’s not sugar-coat it. It won’t be up to your own doctor.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/we-didnt-have-to-have-ventilator-shortage-leaders-chose-not-to-prep-for-pandemic/

https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/task_force/reports_publications/docs/ventilator_guidelines.pdf

Did Cuomo  ever explain why he didn't buy more ventilators after the 2015 NY report ?

He doesn’t have to because the media will never ask him that question or any other that might put him in less than the heavenly glow of the New Democrat front runner for 2020. 

• Like (+1) 5