The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

59 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My comments weren't about him actually wearing a mask.

It's his blatant disregard for new mass recommendations by the scientists.

Do you seriously not get that?

For those of us following along, what exactly do you mean by "mass recommendations"?

5 minutes ago, Azalin said:

For those of us following along, what exactly do you mean by "mass recommendations"?

The recommendation for the masses to wear masks in public like the cdc says. Trump then walks into a huge room and says he’s not following that. 

Not a great move when we are trying to follow a cdc recommendation to control a pandemic and there are already a swath of morons who want to ignore this. 

Not too hard to either change the briefing setup to avoid a crowded stage or have the crowded stage with masks. Crowded stage and room with no mask is a bad look. 

It’s like looking into the sun during an eclipse if you will. 

Do as he says anyways. I hope he changes the briefings or the mask idea. We need to go at this thing Japanese culture style coming out of it. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

The recommendation for the masses to wear masks in public like the cdc says. Trump then walks into a huge room and says he’s not following that. 

Not a great move when we are trying to follow a cdc recommendation to control a pandemic and there are already a swath of morons who want to ignore this. 

Not too hard to either change the briefing setup to avoid a crowded stage or have the crowded stage with masks. Crowded stage and room with no mask is a bad look. 

It’s like looking into the sun during an eclipse if you will. 

Do as he says anyways. I hope he changes the briefings or the mask idea. We need to go at this thing Japanese culture style coming out of it. 

You're answering for Transplant? 

Okay then, let's assume that "mass recommendations" is meant, as you say, to mean "the recommendation for the masses to wear masks in public like the cdc says". 

It seems pretty clear to me that Trump is speaking strictly for himself, not recommending that others follow suit. Is that questionable reasoning? Sure, I think so. Is he in any way gainsaying the medical professionals or questioning their advice? No, he isn't. 

I think you guys are making an issue where one really doesn't exist. 

• Like (+1) 6

38 minutes ago, Azalin said:

It seems pretty clear to me that Trump is speaking strictly for himself, not recommending that others follow suit. Is that questionable reasoning? Sure, I think so.

this 

and this don’t gibe. 

It’s not an end of time moment for him. But the purpose of the mask is for the wearer to keep the rest of us safe. He should wear the mask in a crowded room as an example. It’s an unfortunate moment for him and I think he may rethink his statement actually. He gets this is serious and his actions matter. 

if he wants to take off the mask for press conferences, change the conference format. They have been standing on top of each other for weeks. Set the example even with all the testing. We know Pence and Trump already have had a few direct exposures. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

this 

and this don’t gibe. 

It’s not an end of time moment for him. But the purpose of the mask is for the wearer to keep the rest of us safe. He should wear the mask in a crowded room as an example. It’s an unfortunate moment for him and I think he may rethink his statement actually. He gets this is serious and his actions matter. 

if he wants to take off the mask for press conferences, change the conference format. They have been standing on top of each other for weeks. Set the example even with all the testing. We know Pence and Trump already have had a few direct exposures. 

You're going to try to impress upon me the necessity of wearing a mask? 

Another noteworthy "mass recommendation" is social distancing, ie staying at least six feet away from others. We already know that he's a germophobe. The last few press conferences I saw had a vastly depleted press presence in the room - he even joked about it. 

Look, you're entitled to your opinion, but from here it looks to me like you're making a big deal out of very little.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:
What a friggin jackass.

This is your President, a guy who absolutely REFUSES to back the experts as they come out with new recommendations regarding wearing masks. He doesn't even have to wear the goddamn mask, just don't undermine the expert advice you're literally presenting to the public.

And the problem is, he's got a bunch of morons who voted for him who will follow his lead and those morons will die because they followed the lead of the moron currently residing behind the Resolute Desk.

At least he only has 8 months sitting behind that desk... scary as those 8 months will be.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My comments weren't about him actually wearing a mask.

It's his blatant disregard for new mass recommendations by the scientists.

Do you seriously not get that?

Good one....

Oh wait... is the ***** censored because the word was "congratulate" and in this Big Brother /  Trump Loving forum, anything anti Trump is censored?

Well then I will congratulate myself. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Everyone around you must thank God every day that idiocy isn't a communicable disease

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Azalin said:

You're answering for Transplant? 

Okay then, let's assume that "mass recommendations" is meant, as you say, to mean "the recommendation for the masses to wear masks in public like the cdc says". 

It seems pretty clear to me that Trump is speaking strictly for himself, not recommending that others follow suit. Is that questionable reasoning? Sure, I think so. Is he in any way gainsaying the medical professionals or questioning their advice? No, he isn't. 

Right.

1. Masks are to protect others. I don't think Trump is out buying groceries or wandering around in the general public, he's been tested (and will continue to be) and everyone around him has been tested (and will continue to be)..

2. Nothing is stopping the Governors of every state from implementing all the requirements they want.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This whole Trump not wearing a mask deal is a perfect example of his detractors attempting to play partisan gotcha games.   

Here are the CDC guidelines:

“CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”

1) There is no “significant community-based transmission” in DC.

2)There is a controlled environment of social distancing measures taking place in that White House briefing room.

3) The White House has recently instituted mandatory testing of people who will be in close proximity of the president.

The idea that the president is going to wear a mask while he’s talking to the country about this is absurd.  Truly absurd.

I don’t blame the people complaining about the president not wearing a mask.  I blame the press for misrepresenting it and attempting to make this an issue.  The partisan complainers are just taking cues from the press.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 6

If you have on Demand watch the 2011 movie  Contagion about the spread of a fictional coronavirus  

'Contagion' writer tells CNN that US is the 'sickest country in the world' despite questions on China's data

"Contagion" screenwriter Scott Z. Burns offered his assessment of the ongoing pandemic that has hit the U.S. and criticized President Trump over his handling of the coronavirus.

Burns' 2011 thriller "Contagion" has had a resurgence in viewership in recent months, as the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide. The film's plot is about a fictional pandemic and the health officials who struggle to contain the outbreak.

Appearing on CNN on Friday, Burns was asked if he was "surprised" by the Trump administration's response to the virus in comparison to the fictitious administration in "Contagion," which anchor Anderson Cooper referred to as "responsible."

"When we did the research for the movie, I went to the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] as their guest and it seemed to me at the time there that people were very aware of this and that, you know, there was solid preparation going on," Burns said.

"When I was contemplating the movie and speaking to experts, the notion that, you know, the richest country in the world where we live would have a three-month head start and now finds itself as the sickest country in the world is something I would have never thought to put in a screenplay nor would I have contemplated the kind of response we've seen from the federal government in terms of testing or, you know, blaming other people.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/contagion-screenwriter-cnn-us-sickest-country-coronavirus-outbreak-china-questions

President Trump has been tested twice for the coronavirus, and been negative both times. Since everyone who comes in close contact with Trump or Pence is now being tested for cornavirus beforehand, I think they want to keep it that way.

The CDC mask recommendations are voluntary. That was emphasized yesterday if you watched the presser. 

As I understand it, a mask is used so people with coronavirus (symptomatic or asymptomatic) do not cough or sneeze on other people possibly spreading the virus to others. If everyone coughed into their elbow or sneezed into a tissue and tossed the tissue away, masks would be superfluous.

What I find interesting is recommending the masks to wear in grocery stores and pharmacies. Will that increase thefts? If I am intent on robbing a place, a bandit mask would not seem out of place at this time. Perfect way to disguise my face to rob a convenience store, gas station, pharmacy, etc.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

President Trump has been tested twice for the coronavirus, and been negative both times. Since everyone who comes in close contact with Trump or Pence is now being tested for cornavirus beforehand, I think they want to keep it that way.

He is at less risk for sure but he should not downplay it. And he need not wear a mask but he should encourage, not discourage, the recommendations. I expect this to be addressed in a less bumbling way today. 

The CDC mask recommendations are voluntary. That was emphasized yesterday if you watched the presser. 

Yes, you can volunteer not to protect your neighbors. I’m not sure why you would do that but you could. 

What I find interesting is recommending the masks to wear in grocery stores and pharmacies. Will that increase thefts? If I am intent on robbing a place, a bandit mask would not seem out of place at this time. Perfect way to disguise my face to rob a convenience store, gas station, pharmacy, etc.

Jesus really? 

22 minutes ago, ALF said:

If you have on Demand watch the 2011 movie  Contagion about the spread of a fictional coronavirus  

'Contagion' writer tells CNN that US is the 'sickest country in the world' despite questions on China's data

"Contagion" screenwriter Scott Z. Burns offered his assessment of the ongoing pandemic that has hit the U.S. and criticized President Trump over his handling of the coronavirus.

Burns' 2011 thriller "Contagion" has had a resurgence in viewership in recent months, as the coronavirus continues to spread worldwide. The film's plot is about a fictional pandemic and the health officials who struggle to contain the outbreak.

Appearing on CNN on Friday, Burns was asked if he was "surprised" by the Trump administration's response to the virus in comparison to the fictitious administration in "Contagion," which anchor Anderson Cooper referred to as "responsible."

"When we did the research for the movie, I went to the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] as their guest and it seemed to me at the time there that people were very aware of this and that, you know, there was solid preparation going on," Burns said.

"When I was contemplating the movie and speaking to experts, the notion that, you know, the richest country in the world where we live would have a three-month head start and now finds itself as the sickest country in the world is something I would have never thought to put in a screenplay nor would I have contemplated the kind of response we've seen from the federal government in terms of testing or, you know, blaming other people.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/contagion-screenwriter-cnn-us-sickest-country-coronavirus-outbreak-china-questions

So Burns wrote a screenplay nine years ago about a fictional virus outbreak?  Please explain why we should care one wit about his opinion regarding the Coronavirus...

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

This whole Trump not wearing a mask deal is a perfect example of his detractors attempting to play partisan gotcha games.   

Here are the CDC guidelines:

“CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.”

1) There is no “significant community-based transmission” in DC.

They are not referring to DC. They are referring to crowded places like grocery stores. 

24 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don’t blame the people complaining about the president not wearing a mask.  I blame the press for misrepresenting it and attempting to make this an issue.  The partisan complainers are just taking cues from the press.

He downplayed it. He shouldn’t have. It is not the worst thing ever but it was a fumble. He can recover today. 

19 minutes ago, ALF said:

Burnz has no qualifications at all to speak on this topic and Cooper is a partisan hack. The United States is currently not the "sickest country in the world." We have the most cases. A 5th grade math student could explain the difference that these two grown, educated men apparently can't grasp...

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

It's what the left does. They signal virtue 

Now if they can only get a ‘scientist’ to come out with the directive demanding that you’re better protected with a mask that says: “Orange Man Bad”

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Now if they can only get a ‘scientist’ to come out with the directive demanding that you’re better protected with a mask that says: “Orange Man Bad”

***** em all. No room left for compromise with those people. We're far past that point.