The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

17 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

1. No, Bob, I have criticized people for fear mongering and dire predictions while offering no substantive data to back it up, and no willingness to engage in an intellectual discussion about it. I have clearly stated what I think will happen and why. I have provided data and analyses.

2. I clearly stated in the post you quoted, that I will be more than willing to admit I was wrong if the numbers turn out to be worse.

3. I have never minimized it. I have been very clear, consistent, and, IMO, rational in what I have stated.

And, no, I don't think calming people in a time of crisis makes things worse. My experience is that panic, blame, and fearmongering are what makes crises worse than they should be.

So, would you like to give your opinion as to what you think will happen and provide your supporting data?

Somehow you fancy your analysis as valid while that of those who were correct, as poor. 

No, I don't wish to discuss death predictions with you.  Thanks anyway.

Just curious as to what will finally have to happen to get the danger minimizers around here to admit that their postings offered foolish advice

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So Trump can pardon a psychopathic war criminal because the right wing likes his murdering attitude, but an officer who wants to get his men off a navy ship infested with a virus is fired. Leadership! 

Annoying but minor. Keep your lid on straight and focus on our national response to this virus medically and for the economy. 

1 minute ago, Bob in Mich said:

Somehow you fancy your analysis as valid while that of those who were correct, as poor. 

No, I don't wish to discuss death predictions with you.  Thanks anyway.

Just curious as to what will finally have to happen to get the danger minimizers around here to admit that their postings offered foolish advice

Whenever a debate takes place, each side believes his/her point is more valid, Bob. That has been the nature of debates since, oh, I don't know, probably the beginning of time?

And of course you do not wish to discuss anything. Entertaining other perspectives isn't your strong suit.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

Wow, I'm being scolded about message discipline! :) 

images-3.jpg.f6501cc729ab26e9e77514d8aa426ac3.jpg

No, I'm suggesting that we should all look forward to a time when we can dedicate energy to small issues again, instead of the 1000 dead/day economy crippling virus. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

The underlined was and easy reaction to predict. We social distance and the spread and deaths maybe level in a few weeks and after that, go down...and people then say, "See, it wasn't as bad as people said it would be." 

What do you think will happen when we lift the quarantine and the vast majority of the population gets exposed to this instead of the small numbers that we are seeing now? 

If you think people are staying home I have a bridge to sell you.

99.9% of people need to go to the grocery store....you know, where there are a ton of people and social distancing is impossible?

Edited by Binghamton Beast

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Whenever a debate takes place, each side believes his/her point is more valid, Bob. That has been the nature of debates since, oh, I don't know, probably the beginning of time?

And of course you do not wish to discuss anything. Entertaining other perspectives isn't your strong suit.

Wrong! At the beginning of time there was no earth or humans or even much of a universe, it had just started to expand. 

Now, did pre-humans like Ho mo-Erectus or Australopithecus argue? We don't know. Neanderthal man probably did...before we Ho mo Sapiens murdered them off!  

Edited by Tiberius
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yeah, though see, to treat this as just an academic debate was and still is the biggest mistake.  This is a life and death situation and some fools here may actually value your advice and follow it. 

This is a highly contagious virus that can kill you or a loved one.  Not you specifically, but when the advice under those circumstances is, 'no big deal....go about your business....ignore the chicken littles', that could have consequences far beyond winning or losing an academic debate.  Giving the uneducated some fear by putting forth dire predictions may have caused greater caution sooner.  What you are calling panic, I would call a much greater respect and fear of this virus

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shoshin said:

297214625_MessagesImage(1171313260).thumb.png.0864c6b0b8b9c7fc83c8e8a1afd63eed.png

Up yesterday in NYS, declined in NYC though. 

Don't know if graph smooths out the reported numbers  on 4/1 and 4/2, but in the official reporting there was a spike on 4/1 and a drop of 180 deaths on 4/2.  Even if you average out 4/1 and 4/2, the number is promising

3 minutes ago, GG said:

Don't know if graph smooths out the reported numbers  on 4/1 and 4/2, but in the official reporting there was a spike on 4/1 and a drop of 180 deaths on 4/2.  Even if you average out 4/1 and 4/2, the number is promising

NYC deaths declined for sure. It was the NYS deaths that continued to increase. I wasn't questioning his optimism, just which NY (C vs S) he was talking about.

Way way way too early to have a single day be worthy of trend excitement. See 3/29 below.  

image.thumb.png.8258bf3f3eb37d0810c52962bde8bc30.png

Edited by shoshin

University of Pittsburgh scientists believe they found potential coronavirus vaccine

by Vincent Barone

Original Article

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine believe that they’ve found a potential vaccine for the new coronavirus.The researchers announced their findings Thursday and believe the vaccine could be rolled out quickly enough to “significantly impact the spread of disease,” according to their study published in EBioMedicine. The vaccine would be delivered on a small, fingertip-sized patch. When tested on mice, the vaccine produced enough antibodies believed to successfully counteract the virus.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

NYC deaths declined for sure. It was the NYS deaths that continued to increase. 

image.thumb.png.8258bf3f3eb37d0810c52962bde8bc30.png

What's the source of the data, because it doesn't correlate with the other trackers.

7 minutes ago, GG said:

Is deaths the metric to follow or new cases?  

2 minutes ago, meazza said:

Is deaths the metric to follow or new cases?  

Both.  The death rate should lag the infection rate by about 7-10 days.

BTW, NY new case growth seems to be peaking.

Edited by GG

New York City is Miscalculating Chinese virus death rates

by Matthew Vadum

Original Article

The mass hysteria over COVID-19 in the U.S. is driven in large measure by misleading statistics and bad math about the disease’s body count.

(snip)

The problem starts with the fact that the highly influential statistics from the Big Apple paint a false picture of what is actually happening. In New York City, the death of anyone who dies who tests positive for COVID-19 is counted as a coronavirus death. This is the case even if the coronavirus failed to play a significant role in the person’s passing or illness. This calculus violates established scientific standards.

13 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Yeah, though see, to treat this as just an academic debate was and still is the biggest mistake.  This is a life and death situation and some fools here may actually value your advice and follow it. 

This is a highly contagious virus that can kill you or a loved one.  Not you specifically, but when the advice under those circumstances is, 'no big deal....go about your business....ignore the chicken littles', that could have consequences far beyond winning or losing an academic debate.  Giving the uneducated some fear by putting forth dire predictions may have caused greater caution sooner.  What you are calling panic, I would call a much greater respect and fear of this virus

My advice has always been to take the precautions you are told to take. If you can find a post that says otherwise please let me know. 

It seems you and others, who have been so vociferous in criticizing Trump about not listening to the scientific information from doctors, scientists, and researchers, don't actually practice what you preach. This is not time to look at, analyze, and debate the data! This is a time to react purely from an emotional perspective!

I don't want you or your loved ones to die from this virus. Of course, I don't want you or any of your loved ones to be among the 2.8 million people who will die in this country this year from a variety of causes - many of which could actually be preventable as well.

Edited by billsfan1959

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

University of Pittsburgh scientists believe they found potential coronavirus vaccine

by Vincent Barone

Original Article

Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine believe that they’ve found a potential vaccine for the new coronavirus.The researchers announced their findings Thursday and believe the vaccine could be rolled out quickly enough to “significantly impact the spread of disease,” according to their study published in EBioMedicine. The vaccine would be delivered on a small, fingertip-sized patch. When tested on mice, the vaccine produced enough antibodies believed to successfully counteract the virus.

This is great.  Then reality sets in:

The study’s authors are now applying for an investigational new drug approval from the US Food and Drug Administration. They hope to start human clinical trials within the next few months.