The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

It's going to be a major problem everywhere. 

Anytime it infects a vulnerable population like that it will be bad.

I'm extremely worried about Florida and their older population. I can't believe they waited as long as they did to take decisive action. 

The whole country needs to be shut down for 30 days and Trump needs to deliver an emergency address to the nation as though the country was just attacked by another country/terrorists/whatever. 

Shut it down for 30 days, quarantine the sick, and give the healthcare system a fighting chance if it's not already too late. 

What does that mean exactly? I’d say 70 percent of the workforce is still going in everyday. Pretty much every blue collar job outside of restaurant worker is deemed essential. 

DEATHS: 

Israeli coronavirus fatalities are mostly elderly men, average age 79.8. 

“64% of dead are male, only 6% under 60, in line with global averages; 50,000 now deceased worldwide, with nearly a million infections.”

This doesn’t mean people aren’t dying; it’s just about which people. Admittedly, all things equal, a virus that kills mostly old people is less of a civilizational stressor than one that kills mostly young people.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

My bet is by the 4th of July you will be able to buy one at Rite-Aid.

actually I made this prediction 3 weeks ago.

You might want to consult with jrober38 and his predictive models. There might not be anyone left alive by then...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Capco said:

Pardon?  I'm not changing anything.  I said I think he had "petty and/or racist" motives for the travel ban.  I did not say the travel ban was exclusively racist at any point in time.  And I stand by my statement.  

None of those examples screams "hmmm we might have some racist undertones here" to you?  Not a single one?  

It takes some unique talent to get your head that far in the sand.  

There's a lot to read on that wiki, but here is a favorite from the page.

Elizabeth Warren

220px-Elizabeth_Warren%2C_official_portr

Trump gave Senator Elizabeth Warren the nickname "Pocahontas" due to a controversy over her ancestry.

In 2012, controversy arose when it was charged that Senator Elizabeth Warren had used a claim of Native American ancestry early in her career to gain hiring preference.[150] Warren denies that she ever claimed to be a minority to secure employment, and a review of her employment history and interviews of her past employers has been unable to find anything that supports the charge.[151] Picking up on the controversy, Trump has frequently referred to her as "Pocahontas", including at a White House event where he addressed Native American veterans who served in the US military during World War II.[152] Warren responded: "It was deeply unfortunate that the President of the United States cannot even make it through a ceremony honoring these heroes without throwing out a racial slur."[152] Speaking on PBS NewsHour, Mark Shields commented, "It's one thing when Donald Trump uses Pocahontas to attack or taunt one senator, Elizabeth Warren. This, quite frankly, is beyond that. I mean, this is racial. It's racist. It is."[153]

The general secretary of the Alliance of Colonial Era Tribes, John Norwood, said Trump's nickname for Warren is "insulting to all American Indians" and "smacks of racism", adding that Trump should "stop using our historical people of significance as a racial slur against one of his opponents."[152] The president of the National Congress of American Indians said: "We regret that the president's use of the name Pocahontas as a slur to insult a political adversary is overshadowing the true purpose of today's White House ceremony."[152] White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that complaints that the nickname is a racial slur are "ridiculous", and that "What most people find offensive is Senator Warren lying about her heritage to advance her career."[152][154]

So wiki states that Warren denies using minority status to secure employment.  That's false, she has admitted it and even an application or two signed by her have been circulated in public.  She's earned the nickname.  What should disparage American Indians is her use of their minority status.    Trump is simply calling her out for what she did.  Nothing racist about it unless you view the world and all comments and actions through the prism of race.  She declared herself an Indian.  Trump is simply recognizing it.  Low hanging fruit and brilliant branding at the same time.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Serious question that I'm having a hard time finding.  What did they report to him?  How good was their information?  That would go a long way in judging whether his response was adequate or not.

Like I'm supposed to know exactly what was said in those classified briefings in the White House?  Its not like someone is going to come out and give all the details for fear of receiving the Vindman treatment.  Best I can surmise is they thought things were far more severe in China that they were admitting to.  Several former administration officials were tweeting or writing op-eds about it in January.  If the administration didn't have similar information, doesn't that show incompetence on their part?

Is there really any doubt that his response was inadequate?  All the happy talk saying things were under control and would soon go to zero when it was expanding?  A woefully inadequate request for $2.5 billion?  Happy talk about churches packed on Easter?  Isn't it obvious that he failed miserably?

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You're fooling yourself if you think a fascist solution will fly with most of this country. It won't. It's not a concern, it's a fact. So what you're advocating for is a solution that has no hope of working -- to which I have to ask, what's the point of suggesting something that has zero chance of working in this country? It's like the others yesterday who are upset the world isn't perfect and things can't instantly get made/produced/approved just because they demand it. 

There's reality. 

Then there's fantasy. 

What you're suggesting (only with tracking, not testing for clarity) is a fascist fantasy. It's making a promise of security in exchange for giving up innate rights, but the reality is the solution offers no real security -- just the illusion of it. Like the Patriot Act. Live Free or Die is more than a motto for a lot of Americans. Any sort of tracking, medical implants, chips, or certificates like they're trying in Germany just will never be accepted here -- and, I'd argue, should be resisted at all costs. 

(Again, I'm a Hollywood Liberal saying this -- imagine what the libertarians or conservatives will say)

You do realize that shutting down till June and reopening with "trusted" distancing and no tracking just puts us right back where we are now in August right? Meaning what we are doing now would make little difference economically and wrt bombing hospitals and deaths?

I've not vetted these authors but they make a point that saves me from pasting in links to all the studies. All the models show a surge following a shutdown now. Deaths in the millions,  cases in the hundreds of millions. The choices are multiple "small" shutdowns like this one, a shutdown and huge surge, or follow the Korea model of test and trace while you're open for business.

https://medium.com/@wpegden/a-call-to-honesty-in-pandemic-modeling-5c156686a64b

I guess a final option is find a cure in 2 months but that's a magical thought. There were options we didn't follow including to just surge and not shutdown. The UK tried that a bit and that's not working so well now that they are shutdown.

If you want this to be the only massive shutdown to avoid the only case surge, tracking has to be part of the plan. The admin knows it and I'm sure Fauci has been told to zip it until they can tease it out because people like you will say they are forming a fascist state. But that plan is coming. Trump is not stupid enough to want to go through this in waves of shutdowns. I

If you can present a scenario that has worked and that gets us back to economic health starting in June and avoids a massive case surge, without massive testing and tracking to shut down outbreaks, I'm all ears. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jrober38 said:

It's going to be a major problem everywhere. 

Anytime it infects a vulnerable population like that it will be bad.

I'm extremely worried about Florida and their older population. I can't believe they waited as long as they did to take decisive action. 

The whole country needs to be shut down for 30 days and Trump needs to deliver an emergency address to the nation as though the country was just attacked by another country/terrorists/whatever. 

Shut it down for 30 days, quarantine the sick, and give the healthcare system a fighting chance if it's not already too late. 

Go hide in your panic room and let the adults worry about it.   It’s amazing how your ppp content is somehow more ######ed than your football content. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Not me.  I'd rather have 1 good thing than 10 crappy things.  If I can't afford a good thing right now, I save up for it until I can. Imagine that.

Save......what is this save thing you speak of? Same here. While I do buy quite a bit of hand tools from Harbor Freight when it comes to most of the power tools I own they are the quality brand names. I do however have their 12"compound miter saw. Great tool.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yep, get US out of the UN.

You remember what happened when the USSR didn't show up for a few meetings of the Security Council?

Yeah, as long as the UN exists, the US needs to keep its seat on the Security Council.  All for reforming the UN; it is horribly corrupt.  But it would be foolish to leave it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Save......what is this save thing you speak of? Same here. While I do buy quite a bit of hand tools from Harbor Freight when it comes to most of the power tools I own they are the quality brand names. I do however have their 12"compound miter saw. Great tool.

I've been a Dewalt guy for most of the power tools I own. During my time in isolation I have had a lot of them out while working on a tiered deck (and small greenhouse for my wife) that I started last year :)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Go hide in your panic room and let the adults worry about it.   It’s amazing how your ppp content is somehow more ######ed than your football content. 

It would be better if you hide your ignorance instead. Moron 

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

There goes that media narrative…

Fauci Busts Media Nonsense: Trump Has Always Taken Virus ‘Seriously’ From the Beginning

7cb898a8-3ec9-4073-bad2-d06814a851cd.jpg

Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.” — Trump at the White House. (See our item “Will the New Coronavirus ‘Go Away’ in April?“)

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It would be better if you hide your ignorance instead. Moron 

What exactly is his ignorance here? jrober38 has had an apocalyptic tone to his posts throughout this thread. Seriously, the guy has been a non-stop, worst-case scenario prophet ad nauseam....

• Like (+1) 1