The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Through the same testing process they put any drug through?

That's not the question.  You were saying that you'd need to make sure the drugs didn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it.  And again, these drugs have been around and used for decades now.

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

But it isn't a coin flip.  I think I read somewhere that only 25% of the phase 1 studies show positive results in phase 2.  This really didn't amount to a phase 1 study.

Compassionate use is going on now.  Real phase 1 studies are going on now.  Meanwhile, people who really have been using this drug for conditions where this drug has shown effectiveness are having difficulty getting their prescriptions filled, at least 2 people have OD on HCQ and one has died.

So if it helps even 25% of people, isn't it worth it?  Versus waiting a year for Remdesivir?

And yes, it's unfortunate patients are having trouble getting it to manage their disease symptoms but even more unfortunate for people dying of Wuhan flu.  But you can OD and die on any drug, especially ones labelled "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

So if it helps even 25% of people, isn't it worth it?  Versus waiting a year for Remdesivir?

I didn't say that drugs that have gone through phase 1 testing only help 25% of the people in phase 2 testing.  Only 25% of the drugs that show some efficacy in phase 1 show that in a deeper phase 2 study.  That means 75% of the time the drug is similar or worse than no drug at all.  Meanwhile, you would deny those who need the drug for other illnesses their medication?

Edited by Scraps

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I really hope a hard look is taken at the obamacare taxes (which made things like ventilators economically difficult to make here), as well as the regulations that are needlessly in place that prevent American ingenuity to shine. The last few weeks have reminded me of my youth when people were inventing things, producing things, and America generally was the place to be if you wanted to invent and manufacturer.

As I’ve said regarding health care in general, the government already runs health care. Nothing, or very little, happens outside of the regulations put in place at the state and federal level.  Its’s one of the great cons of the modern era. 

It must have been very cool for you when you saw Mr. Ford roll out that first Model T.  And it must have been a blast when they ended prohibition right before your Sweet 16 party! ?

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

As I’ve said regarding health care in general, the government already runs health care. Nothing, or very little, happens outside of the regulations put in place at the state and federal level.  Its’s one of the great cons of the modern era. 

It must have been very cool for you when you saw Mr. Ford roll out that first Model T.  And it must have been a blast when they ended prohibition right before your Sweet 16 party! ?

We did go to the Henry Ford & Thomas Edison museums in Ft Meyers last year. Closest I ever got to Mr. Ford (who died many years before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye). ?

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I didn't say that drugs that have gone through phase 1 testing only help 25% of the people in phase 2 testing.  Only 25% of the drugs that show some efficacy in phase 1 show that in a deeper phase 2 study.  That means 75% of the time the drug is similar or worse than no drug at all.  Meanwhile, you would deny those who need the drug for other illnesses their medication?

If it saves even 1 person?  In a heartbeat.  Again there is no current treatment for Wuhan flu.  A couple months (if even) of missing HCQ won't kill anyone and I'd bet, no I know, that if you had worsening SOB and were given the choice to take those meds and deny someone of theirs, you'd do it in a second.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We did go to the Henry Ford & Thomas Edison museums in Ft Meyers last year. Closest I ever got to Mr. Ford (who died many years before I was even a twinkle in my father's eye). ?

And...we’re back to you and Mr. BG being CIA operatives.   One museum or the other is sight-seeing, both on the same trip?   You’re working a commie scientist willing to leave his dreadfully handsome wife (she’s from farm people, hearty stock) and dull children back in St. Petersburg because you set him up with a comely grad student from Southern California who is schooled in the art of  pleasure of the flesh.  Let’s be honest, the light bulb turns on, then it’s off...end of tour. 

By the way, I live in Albany, and the adjacent city is Schenectady (aka The Place Beyond the Pines).  On Erie Blvd in Schenectady, formerly the location of the Erie Canal, there’s a building with placard that indicates that’s where Thomas Edison invented the light bulb.  Or worked on it, I can’t recall.  Ironically drove by it today.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

And...we’re back to you and Mr. BG being CIA operatives.   One museum or the other is sight-seeing, both on the same trip?   You’re working a commie scientist willing to leave his dreadfully handsome wife (she’s from farm people, hearty stock) and dull children back in St. Petersburg because you set him up with a comely grad student from Southern California who is schooled in the art of  pleasure of the flesh.  Let’s be honest, the light bulb turns on, then it’s off...end of tour. 

By the way, I live in Albany, and the adjacent city is Schenectady (aka The Place Beyond the Pines).  On Erie Blvd in Schenectady, formerly the location of the Erie Canal, there’s a building with placard that indicates that’s where Thomas Edison invented the light bulb.  Or worked on it, I can’t recall.  Ironically drove by it today.  

It is actually a compound. They were neighbors. On one side of the street is some labs and gardens, the other side of the street was their houses which are next door to one another. Apparently, they were friends.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

To Bull,

I also see there was no response to my post showing Trumps actions against red tape/ Regulations  that you keep calling for.

He did? where are the tests?

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Feel free to move elsewhere, Bernie bro. Hell I'll even buy your ticket.

Not sure why I would move when we're trying to make this place better. It's our patriotic duty.

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That's a very interesting number. Meanwhile in this country: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/31/texas-company-offered-n95-masks-amid-coronavirus-6-times-usual-price/

"As health care professionals beg for supplies to protect themselves from COVID-19 infection, a Texas company found a seller with at least 2 million masks and quietly offered them for sale at $6 each. Before the pandemic, they cost around $1."

9 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The measure of the death rate can be done by confirmed cases, total cases, per 100,000, etc. Measure it however you want. The data I provided showed that the increase in the death rate, in any way you want to measure it, is more on par with South Korea and Germany than it is with other countries. There is every reason to believe we will be able to provide the ICU beds, ventilators, etc. to not have our hospitals overwhelmed as they have been elsewhere.

It remains to be seen.

I appreciate the civil conversation.

There are other variables than simply the # of beds and ventilators.  most of the hospitals on the front lines are running out of protective equipment. As more healthcare workers get ill, there won't be enough to tend rising number of cases.  Hope for the best...ditto on the convo.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

The measure of the death rate can be done by confirmed cases, total cases, per 100,000, etc. Measure it however you want. The data I provided showed that the increase in the death rate, in any way you want to measure it, is more on par with South Korea and Germany than it is with other countries. There is every reason to believe we will be able to provide the ICU beds, ventilators, etc. to not have our hospitals overwhelmed as they have been elsewhere.

It remains to be seen.

I appreciate the civil conversation.

The biggest variable is how seriously New Yorkers took Cuomo's admonishment on March 22 to stay away from one another.  

• Like (+1) 1