The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

29 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I'll take my chances on Fauci and Gates being right for the many reasons that have been stated already, and not "GG" from the Bills board. 

What did Cuomo say in his press conference today?  Did he implore everyone to get tested or stay the ***** at home?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Look, I'm happy to go back to the beginning on this as long as you actually care about the answers.

The virus has an incubation period of 2-14 days before symptoms present. A new study from the Netherlands think that there may be 25% of people that remain completely asymptomatic. If you have an interaction with anyone, you could pass the virus without feeling sick. Say you're a grocery store employee who works curbside and selects people's groceries, bags them and places them into their cart - you could unknowingly pass the virus on the groceries. If you're given a test when you exhibit symptoms,( or best case even if you dont), then local health officials could alert the people you came into contact with that they could be affected. Here in Austin during the early days of this (a few weeks ago) Health officials did exactly this and notified the public where that person was on what days at what times.

It's at least part of the reason why we only have 200 cases as the 11th largest city in the country.

Testing vs proper hygiene, let's look at your case for testing instead.

Ok, so you say up to 1 out of every 4 people with the virus remain asymptomatic.

You also tell us that testing will keep a grocery bagger from infecting his market's shoppers.  Is the bagger exhibiting symptoms of a cold/flu/Wuhan virus? If yes, wtf is he bagging groceries? He SHOULD NOT be doing that.  

Would him getting tested and then finding out 5-7 days later (which is what the turnaround time has been for all the tests except those being tested this past week) prevent people from getting the virus?  Once he finally starts to self quarantine, presumably after getting the results back, as in this example he hasn't stopped working yet even though he's sick so we can't honestly expect him to stop working prior to being forced to, can we?

Now, let's assume he's 1 of those 25% of the asymptomatic carriers.  Wtf is HE getting tested when he exhibits NO SYMPTOMS?  Is he the 100,000,000th presumably healthy person to get tested, the 4th, the very last?  Where does his spot in the testing queue stand?  How many actual sick people exhibiting symptoms does he get tested ahead of?

Yes, testing him and (after 5-7 more days while waiting for the results) removing him from his job can help limit the spread, but, if people are being released from quarantine after 14 days of being symptom free - as most of the protocols are following, then at most you've taken this individual out of the equation for 9 days.

Wasn't him calling in sick when he 1st became sick and staying home until he was better the more effective way of limiting the spread of the disease?

Testing helps, but it isn't as effective as following proper hygiene protocols is.  And it barely helps at all if good hygiene doesn't accompany it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Trump just has to say it’s fixed and it’s fixed! (At least in his mind) 

When you regularly eat a bag of dickks, how long does it take until you get full?

Edited by LB3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, LB3 said:

When you regularly eat a bag of *****, how long does it take until you get full?

I would ask Trump that, be he would likely dance around the question anyway. 

4 minutes ago, LB3 said:

When you regularly eat a bag of dickks, how long does it take until you get full?

Oh dickks, I will ask your husband. 

37 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Where are the tests? Why do I know likely positive people that have not been confirmed and who will never truly know when they're no longer infected?

I was tested. I got the prescription last Friday morning at 10am, was tested with no wait at all at a mega 12 lane parking lot testing center that was set up in the Lower Hudson Valley, and had my results 28 hours later.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

No one is turning on him, at least here.  What I do find frustrating/dumb is his insistence that we need to do controlled double-blind studies for months on HCQ/AZM as if a) these are new drugs, b) have shown little efficacy and c) we have all the time in the world.

Because it could do more harm than benefit.

For at least 15 years, tuberculosis wast treated with gold.  It wasn't until a controlled double blind study that  streptomycin was found to be effective.  A subsequent study of gold found it ineffective.  In fact, gold treatment was poisoning people.

Its not as if HCQ is sitting in a huge stockpile waiting for a use.  It is used in the treatment of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Directing large amounts of this drug to combat Covid-19 could deprive people who really need the drug for their conditions.

Has it shown much efficacy?  The only study I read said it reduced levels in nasal swabs int 6 of 20 people.  That same study had a higher mortality rate and a higher rate of people ending up in ICU.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I was tested. I got the prescription last Friday morning at 10am, was tested with no wait at all at a mega 12 lane parking lot testing center that was set up in the Lower Hudson Valley, and had my results 28 hours later.

Prescription for a test?

23 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Testing vs proper hygiene, let's look at your case for testing instead.

Ok, so you say up to 1 out of every 4 people with the virus remain asymptomatic.

You also tell us that testing will keep a grocery bagger from infecting his market's shoppers.  Is the bagger exhibiting symptoms of a cold/flu/Wuhan virus? If yes, wtf is he bagging groceries? He SHOULD NOT be doing that.  

Would him getting tested and then finding out 5-7 days later (which is what the turnaround time has been for all the tests except those being tested this past week) prevent people from getting the virus?  Once he finally starts to self quarantine, presumably after getting the results back, as in this example he hasn't stopped working yet even though he's sick so we can't honestly expect him to stop working prior to being forced to, can we?

Now, let's assume he's 1 of those 25% of the asymptomatic carriers.  Wtf is HE getting tested when he exhibits NO SYMPTOMS?  Is he the 100,000,000th presumably healthy person to get tested, the 4th, the very last?  Where does his spot in the testing queue stand?  How many actual sick people exhibiting symptoms does he get tested ahead of?

Yes, testing him and (after 5-7 more days while waiting for the results) removing him from his job can help limit the spread, but, if people are being released from quarantine after 14 days of being symptom free - as most of the protocols are following, then at most you've taken this individual out of the equation for 9 days.

Wasn't him calling in sick when he 1st became sick and staying home until he was better the more effective way of limiting the spread of the disease?

Testing helps, but it isn't as effective as following proper hygiene protocols is.  And it barely helps at all if good hygiene doesn't accompany it.

That scenario is outside of the scope of the reason for testing. I already laid out why you do it in my original post. Either read it or don't, but I'm not going to explain it all over again.

I'm not sure if this has been posted.  It was in the comments from an article in the Washington Post.

The American Medical Association has weighed in on Trump's COVID-19 strategy: The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves. The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve. Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted. Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!” The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it. Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow. The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter.” The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea. Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn’t have the heart to say no. In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the #######s in Washington.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

I'm happy for you, honestly. Sadly many aren't having that experience.

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

That scenario is outside of the scope of the reason for testing. I already laid out why you do it in my original post. Either read it or don't, but I'm not going to explain it all over again.

:rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Because it could do more harm than benefit.

For at least 15 years, tuberculosis wast treated with gold.  It wasn't until a controlled double blind study that  streptomycin was found to be effective.  A subsequent study of gold found it ineffective.  In fact, gold treatment was poisoning people.

Its not as if HCQ is sitting in a huge stockpile waiting for a use.  It is used in the treatment of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Directing large amounts of this drug to combat Covid-19 could deprive people who really need the drug for their conditions.

Has it shown much efficacy?  The only study I read said it reduced levels in nasal swabs int 6 of 20 people.  That same study had a higher mortality rate and a higher rate of people ending up in ICU.

Or it could do more good than harm.  Again both drugs have been around for decades.  Furthermore they wouldn't be taken for an extended period of time, when side effects tend to occur with HCQ.  I mean, all you have right now is supportive therapy which often times does nothing and the patient still dies. 

And yes there have been small studies and anecdotal reports of it working.  For about $30 in treatment, it's worth trying.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Or it could do more good than harm.  Again both drugs have been around for decades.  Furthermore they wouldn't be taken for an extended period of time, when side effects tend to occur with HCQ.  I mean, all you have right now is supportive therapy which often times does nothing and the patient still dies. 

And yes there have been small studies and anecdotal reports of it working.  For about $30 in treatment, it's worth trying.

They likely will start doing that soon in compassionate care cases, but as with any drug you'll want to make sure it doesn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it. Personally I'm in favor of being aggressive, and if I was in a bed I'd sign off as a guinea pig

Edited by BullBuchanan

I have a friend who lives in Yucaipa, which is essentially the Waterloo, NY of Southern CA.

Pretty much the entire nursing home there has the virus. They did 79 tests. Pretty much everyone, including staff, is sick.

In the process, I did find out how to motivate people to stay at home: let them know what happens to you if you die from this virus.

Apparently, no one in your family will ever see you again. There is no bedside vigil. There is no body in a casket. Once you're diagnosed, you're cut off from everyone. When you die, you're cremated. That's it.

So. Y'know. Stay home.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

They likely will start doing that soon in compassionate care cases, but as with any drug you'll want to make sure it doesn't make people sicker that would probably pull through without it.

And how do you do that?

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

But it isn't a coin flip.  I think I read somewhere that only 25% of the phase 1 studies show positive results in phase 2.  This really didn't amount to a phase 1 study.

Compassionate use is going on now.  Real phase 1 studies are going on now.  Meanwhile, people who really have been using this drug for conditions where this drug has shown effectiveness are having difficulty getting their prescriptions filled, at least 2 people have OD on HCQ and one has died.