The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, GG said:

Utterly predictable that people are now pissed that Trump didn't invoke his dictatorial powers

False premise. The President has access to international intelligence, classified information, and scientists that a city mayor does not. If local municipalities are putting people at risk his administration could work with them to help them to understand why, and assist them instead of golfing and ALL-CAPSing nonsense on twitter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

tell him anonymously report his company? Are they in lockdown where he lives?

Not sure how lockdown is determined?  His company is considered Essential, for certain, but he can definitely work from home (and he did for 2 weeks or so, I believe). 

43 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

One of the few things I've learned in business that has never let me down is to always do my best to put my myself and my company in a position where someone needs me/us more than I need them.

It sounds like your friend has done that in terms of not being in a financial jam right now.

That said, where is his office?

Canada. Ontario HQ. 

42 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Turn the boss in for evading the quarantine...?

Not sure what the rules are...do you HAVE to go to work?  I mean I know you can take vacation unpaid or whatever just not sure what the rules are with respect to a boss saying you must come to the office - ESPECIALLY when your job can be done from home. 

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

False premise. The President has access to international intelligence, classified information, and scientists that a city mayor does not. If local municipalities are putting people at risk his administration could work with them to help them to understand why, and assist them instead of golfing and ALL-CAPSing nonsense on twitter.

And he was briefing the governors throughout January and February as to the risks. 

Again, federalism is tough to understand... 

Local>>>>State>>>>Federal. Not the inverse.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Absolutely the right premise.  Both executives get their information from their health officials.  The NYC health official was parroting the information fed by the CDC, which in February did not show concern.  That's why all local officials were telling people not to worry.  Trump was using the same information basis that Diblasio was.  Do you think NY would still be debating public gatherings in mid-March if CDC was giving more dire warnings? 

Or are you now going to claim that Trump told CDC to supress bad news?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LB3 said:

What state? Is it an essential business?  How many people in office? What is spacing like in his office? 

Canada, Ontario. Essential. 
not sure how many people and how far apart they are there but he’s in a cubicle 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:49 AM, LB3 said:

On 3/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, Deranged Rhino said:

I've explained it numerous times -- you keep ignoring it. Polls are narrative drivers, nothing more. And the day the narrative (nationally, not just within Trump circles) is that 60% of Americans agree with his handling of the crisis and his approval numbers reach record levels for his term -- you thought it was a good time to post an attempted slam. And then capped it off with "BUT RUSSIA!" propaganda that's been debunked over two years ago. 

Why? 

Because your brain is broken. You've allowed yourself to get played. Hard. They want you emotional, not rational. And you oblige like a good little NPC.

November will be tough for you. :beer: 

Guess those "narrative drivers" and the world changed quickly.

47 percent of voters feel the administration isn’t doing enough in response to the outbreak, greater than the 40 percent who feel the administration is doing the right amount.

Even I thought Trump was doing pretty well for a little bit there and would have given him high marks a few weeks ago.

Polls are momentary snapshots and throughout the entirety of American history, Presidents always get bumps in wartime or times of crisis.

Jimmy Carter got a massive bump during the conflict with Iran in 1979 only to lose an election months later.

History will be the judge of Trump, and as more and more information rolls out regarding his screwup at the beginning of this--like the Administration's shocking off of Senators' pleas to take more action on February 3rd at the beginning of this crisis--history will not judge him well.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Guess those "narrative drivers" and the world changed quickly.

Even I thought Trump was doing pretty well for a little bit there and would have given him high marks a few weeks ago.

Polls are momentary snapshots and throughout the entirety of American history, Presidents always get bumps in wartime or times of crisis.

Jimmy Carter got a massive bump during the conflict with Iran in 1979 only to lose an election months later.

History will be the judge of Trump, and as more and more information rolls out regarding his screwup at the beginning of this--like the Administration's shocking off of Senators' pleas to take more action on February 3rd at the beginning of this crisis--history will not judge him well.

It's hard. We all as a country are rooting for America, and him as the leader. But things like the ratings tweet (if only we had a pandemic every few months!) and the Megan Markel nonsense and his "leadership" sniping at the press during briefings show that he's not being a leader for all or focusing on the task at hand with the gravity required.

Edited by shoshin

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Again, it's not surprising that your own TDS has forced you to (unknowingly) push CCP talking points as fact. 

Picking your avatar will be a lot of fun. Perhaps we'll rotate it, a new one for every month? 

9 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Canada, Ontario. Essential. 
not sure how many people and how far apart they are there but he’s in a cubicle 

I guess then it comes down to what the governing orders are. If he's distanced enough from his nearest co-worker then it really isn't too much of a problem. I live in central NY and was given the option of working from home via VPN or coming to work. Coming to work entails me waking up, showering, driving by myself to work and working in my office away from the other essential few. I'd rather be at work.

If he's not comfortable working but has no immediate need to stay home, he should just talk to his boss. If the boss wants him at the office and isn't legally required to let him work from home, he should probably go to work unless he's willing to lose his job.

It's definitely not a simple answer. Many things factor in. Best of luck to your friend.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Straight from the horse's ass/mouth. No conspiracy of a shadow government required:

That doesn't make the point you want it to. 

That you're comparing that to the CCP's distortion of the numbers shows how empty your argument truly is.