The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, Gary Busey said:

He did not just mention God, he said God gave us Trump. The people gave us Trump.

This was at a briefing that is supposed to be for the Coronavirus Task Force.

All this tells me is you don't understand Christianity. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

Most probably would. I am not a Obama fan, so I would likely be just as big of a dick to him. 

I would find that refreshing. In truth, I may be a little more critical of him as I'd be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt due to his track record, but I try to give credit where it's due.

During the Obama years it seemed any criticism of him, no matter how tame or warranted, was treated as blasphemy, just as any praise of President Trump is treated now.

It reminds me of the old question from philosophy:

Does God do the things he does because they are good, or are they good because God does them?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's quite the projection there.

The funny thing is that if Obama (or any Dem) were President right now, and doing exactly what President Trump is doing, all the left-wing fundamentalists such as yourself would be on your knees praising your beloved leader for his strength, courage, and wisdom.

I think you know it too.

Thing is, there actually is a proxy available to get a guesstimate of how 44 would be treated had this crisis occurred on his watch.  Look at the coverage & treatment Cuomo has been getting for his performance during the crisis.  

He has been criticized for some actions/ inactions; but for the most part, IMHO, he's been allowed to do his job without too much criticism.  And he's even recieved some compliments from people that in general don't like his overall performance the past 10 years.

Compare Cuomo's treatment by the right relative to 45's treatment by the left.  Should give a reasonable idea of how 44 would've been treated.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thing is, there actually is a proxy available to get a guesstimate of how 44 would be treated had this crisis occurred on his watch.  Look at the coverage & treatment Cuomo has been getting for his performance during the crisis.  

He has been criticized for some actions/ inactions; but for the most part, IMHO, he's been allowed to do his job without too much criticism.  And he's even recieved some compliments from people that in general don't like his overall performance the past 10 years.

Compare Cuomo's treatment by the right relative to 45's treatment by the left.  Should give a reasonable idea of how 44 would've been treated.

The variable that's forgotten here is the tone Cuomo and Trump project toward the media/the other side of the political spectrum. It's vastly different. When Cuomo is asked a tough question he sticks to the question. When Trump is asked a tough question he attacks the reporter.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

The variable that's forgotten here is the tone Cuomo and Trump project toward the media/the other side of the political spectrum. It's vastly different. When Cuomo is asked a tough question he sticks to the question. When Trump is asked a tough question he attacks the reporter.

Cuomo is a bumbling fool. Always has been. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

Not excusing 45's giving it right back to the media that get in his face; it's a bad look and has been for a long time.

But, please point out the last time Cuomo dealt with an in your face media?

And, do you honestly think that Cuomo telling conservatives they aren't wanted in his state or his having the Empire State Building lit up in pink to celebrate abortion on demand is any less in your face than 45's delivery?

The right, for the most part, especially here, have been fair in their view of Cuomo's handling of this issue at his level, IMHO.  (The post ~3 above this not withstanding.)  Do you honestly believe the left, for the most part, has done the same for 45?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Per capita, this country is faring as well or better than almost every country out there (with a significant number of cases) in the one area that matters most: the death rate. And before you go on about how the death rate will climb so much higher when our hospitals get overwhelmed. Italy and Spain were over 5% death rate (based on confirmed cases) before they ever reached 25,000 total cases. We are still under 2% with over 167,000. New York is still under 2% with over 67 thousand.

You are a broken record at this point. Most of us choose to blame who is actually responsible for this and that is a communist government in China that doesn't give a f*&# about its own people, much less the rest of the world. They lied to everybody and there wasn't a leader or a government out there that was any more prepared for what they were about to face than Trump (add in any politician in this country) and our government. 

Nobody was prepared for this because China was its usual deceitful self. 

You can keep blaming Trump. 

And that's the excuse those with TLS use--blame China or no one could see it coming.  My criticism has been their lack of response once it was here.  While he deserves credit for closing off with China, they sqaundered that time by not taking it seriously enough.  

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Trump blew it. He will have to live with his month long vacation as the virus spread. 

NO  It was Monica that blew it, please try to keep up!

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Dayton Bike Week

You mean Ohio?

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Now that he’s admitting there could be anywhere from 100-200k deaths from this, do you still Think this?

I was saying 4 weeks ago they are not taking this seriously enough, putting the stock market/economy above health and safety, while trump was talking about only 15 cases and we’ll be down to 0. Most here were saying it’s being driven by media hype or Dems wanting to hurt his re-election chances. I wonder how many have admitted they were wrong about that, or is it still perceived as the truth? Is this just another flu that’s been overhyped? 

As for predictions, I made the opposite one Back then (which seems like months now), that his lack of urgency and response would be his undoing on this. We’ll see....

I still don’t believe there will be 100-200,000 deaths.  There is still a lot we don’t know about the virus, but social distancing measures are already arresting the spread of the disease—or at least reducing hospitalizations and deaths—and at this point, the fatality rate is mostly speculation, because we still don’t have widespread random testing anywhere, except maybe Iceland.  There will continue to be hotspots but I believe the doomsday predictions of medical facilities all around the country being overrun are never going to come to pass.  Despite having said some dumb things, Trump is going to (rightly) get credit for not panicking at a time when many other politicians and the media were losing their minds.

Edited by mannc

Just now, TPS said:

And that's the excuse those with TLS use--blame China or no one could see it coming.  My criticism has been their lack of response once it was here.  While he deserves credit for closing off with China, they sqaundered that time by not taking it seriously enough.  

Do you include de Blasio and Cuomo in your blame of waiting too long? How about Pelosi and Schumer? How about every political figure in this country? How about every political leader in every country in Europe? 

Show us the data that proves what is happening here is any worse than what is happening anywhere else? Seriously, quit spouting the same tired cliche of "he waited too long" and show us the actual data to prove it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

During the Obama years it seemed any criticism of him, no matter how tame or warranted, was treated as blasphemy, just as any praise of President Trump is treated now.

Ah, the Obama years. If one wasn't being called a racist for the *slightest* criticism of him, at the very least his supporters would demand: "You may not like the man, but you should respect the office." 

How times have changed.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1