The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I didn't say and/or imply that.  I praised him for helping out.  We're not a theocracy though and thought it was inappropriate bringing that up at a national news conference addressing all Americans.

I don't believe that's entirely true.

I believe you could call our system a democratic theocracy or a theocratic republic.

The key distinction between our government and recognized theocracies, like those in the Islamic world, is that we have a multitude of diverse religions vying for political dominance, whereas they have only one.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Over 160,000 confirmed cases in US now, was 82,000 4 days ago. It took 4 days to double this time instead of 3, hopefully that means distancing measures are starting to have effect. 

On a more positive note the President assures us his magnificent hair is real, we are not paying for Harry and Meghan's security, and that President Trump is a ratings hit. 

“President Trump is a ratings hit. Since reviving the daily White House briefing Mr. Trump and his coronavirus updates have attracted an average audience of 8.5 million on cable news, roughly the viewership of the season finale of ‘The Bachelor.’ Numbers are continuing to rise...

Yep, numbers are continuing to rise.
  • Like (+1) 1

Netherlands becomes latest country to reject China-made coronavirus test kits, gear

The Netherlands is the latest country to reject China-made coronavirus testing kits and other protective gear, calling the items substandard and raising serious questions about the quality of the supplies Beijing is selling to the world.

The Netherlands joins Spain, Turkey, Georgia, and the Czech Republic in their concerns over masks and test kits.

The Dutch health ministry said over the weekend that it was forced to recall 600,000 face masks that were shipped from China on March 21 after they were found to be faulty. Some of the masks failed to fit the mouth properly while others were found to have insufficient filters, the government said.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/netherlands-becomes-latest-country-to-reject-china-made-coronavirus-test-kits-gear

Along with recalled prescription meds , thanks China , and thanks US companies for outsourcing to low wage countries what could go wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Unfortunately, China gave the world a big fvck you and they will have to pay a HEAVY price when this is done.

Agreed. I'd advocate kicking them out of the WTO and imposing stiff fines on American companies that do business there and with China.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I believe the "cure" (such as it is) will be far worse than the disease.  We are all going to get it unless there is a vaccine soon. That means we will all die {insert hair on fire gif} or develop immunity.  ?‍♂️  While I understand the thoughts behind why the economy was crashed, I am not onboard with closing down the country's economy with the current knowledge available to the general citizenry. I am certain that makes me a bad person.  :rolleyes:

The people most at risk may have wanted to hunker down (and yes, I know young people have contracted this... just like XX and YY have contracted every contagious disease known to man since the beginning of time), but to kill the economy? To discount future suicides? Mental depression? I donno. I am just glad I am not the one making the call.

What does give me pause in my personal assessment, is what if we are not being told the rest of the story? That ¾ of the countries in this world (give or take a few) have closed their borders to other countries, makes me wonder what haven't TPTB told us?  (And, considering the ridiculous toilet paper buying, maybe they were right to withhold information?)

I thank God someone like you is not making the call on this also.

From the beginnings in China that the hospitals were already overwhelmed and health care workers dying, it was apparent to anyone who took an impartial look at the signs that this virus is super infectious and trouble.

It's about saving lives, as in limiting the dead by keeping our healthcare systems from being overwhelmed.  

This is not your typical recession, I don't expect the suicide, etc. numbers to be typical either. Let us hope and pray.

Does your attitude make you a bad person?  Certainly not.  But what does it make you and the others who see it the same?

Most appropriate comparison:

Covid-19 is Trump and the underlying reasons that got him elected and supported.

You are the far left/deep stater who has no idea the depth and reasons why Trump is here while clinging to the familiar in echo chambers and emotionally clinging to numbers that ignore the reality of the current unique and unfolding situation.

What does that make you?

• Like (+1) 2

At ECMC, shaken doctor shares lessons from the 'Covid floor'

Friday was his first shift on ECMC’s “Covid floor,” which has existed for only about a week on the hospital's 12th floor.

“These were the sickest patients I have ever cared for in 25 years of doing this medicine thing,” wrote Jensen, 49, a medical school graduate from the University at Buffalo who has spent his entire life in Western New York. “The whole floor was full of sick people and absolutely shell-shocked staff.”

It involves anxiety about what could happen to patients at the hospital if too many nurses and doctors were to become sick, as well as the knowledge of exactly what staff members might potentially carry home to those they love

Yet what he saw Friday on the 12th floor involved an unsettling level of the unknown, a measure of fast-moving uncertainty and risk at such a point it made it difficult for him to sleep that night.

While most who contract Covid-19 will recover, the greatest threat from this pandemic lies in swamping the intensive care system with too many patients.

“This is no joke. This is not a drill,” Jensen wrote in his text. “The economy doesn't matter much when you're dead, and this kills people."

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/31/at-ecmc-shaken-doctor-shares-lessons-from-the-covid-floor/

And this is just the beginning in WNY

Just now, ALF said:

“This is no joke. This is not a drill,” Jensen wrote in his text. “The economy doesn't matter much when you're dead, and this kills people."

You're right. BUt having a non-functional economy kills people as well.

Have a look at mortality rates during the Great Depression to have a look at our future.