The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Just now, meazza said:

We have been in isolation and non essential businesses have been shut down since the 13th including all bars, restaurants, etc. 

I am taking this very seriously as my wife is pregnant and my mother is 75.  

That pretty much mirrors NY's timeline and if anything Canada was a bit behind.   You'd figure Vancouver would have been hit hard, yet ...

Just now, GG said:

That pretty much mirrors NY's timeline and if anything Canada was a bit behind.   You'd figure Vancouver would have been hit hard, yet ...

Vancouver was hit earlier but Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver is not nearly as dense as New York.

In Montreal, we have been growing in cases by approximately 300-500 a day and this is after social distancing.

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:beer: :beer: :beer: Congrats, Meazza! 

Thank you my friend.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Vancouver and BC are in good shape...relatively few deaths/hospitalizations and no danger at this point of "overwhelming the system".  

23 minutes ago, meazza said:

We have been in isolation and non essential businesses have been shut down since the 13th including all bars, restaurants, etc. 

The shutdown was the 23rd in Ontario, Ottawa was the 13th.   Canada (as a country) did not shutdown early, although Ottawa did after Trump closed flights off  from Europe on the 12th. My son flew in Pearson on the 13th, I flew into EWR on the 14th... the experiences were night and day on how much more seriously US took it than Canada at that point (I have a post in this thread about the experience).  I flew into Pearson the beginning of February, and updated this post with what was going on with all the borders I crossed between January and March.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The shutdown was the 23rd in Ontario, Ottawa was the 13th.   Canada (as a country) did not shutdown early, although Ottawa did after Trump closed flights off flights from Europe on the 12th. My son flew in Pearson on the 13th, I flew into EWR on the 14th... the experiences were night and day on how much more seriously US took it than Canada at that point (I have a post in this thread about the experience).  I flew into Pearson the beginning of February, and updated this post with what was going on with all the borders I crossed between January and March.

At the federal level, it wasn't taken seriously but at the provincial level, it was.  

Personally, I've been taking this seriously since the 1st week of March literally washing my hands everytime I came into contact with something or someone and avoiding people who were sick.  

That being said, the data is generally a two week lag so if this is the worst in Quebec, we'll be back to work by May 1st.

10 minutes ago, meazza said:

Vancouver was hit earlier but Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver is not nearly as dense as New York.

In Montreal, we have been growing in cases by approximately 300-500 a day and this is after social distancing.

Thank you my friend.

NJ is not as dense as the major Canadian cities, yet growing much faster

oh boy... one step closer to UBI. you just know the other Dem states are going to follow suit.

Gov. Whitmer expands unemployment benefits to self-employed, independent contractors and more

LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced new programs for workers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.

Under the federal CARES Act, Whitmer signed an agreement to implement Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and Compensation programs that give benefits to those who don't qualify for state unemployment benefits.

Those include self-employed, 1099-independent contractors, gig and low-wage workers.

The agreement also increases weekly benefits for all unemployed workers by $600 a week for up to six months and extends benefit payments from 26 to 39 weeks. ...

Edited by Foxx

1 minute ago, GG said:

NJ is not as dense as the major Canadian cities, yet growing much faster

How strict was it enforced in NJ at the beginning?

I live in the downtown area and I immediately noticed that most people were staying home though gradually the restrictions increased. 

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

oh boy... one step closer to UBI. you just know the other Dem states are going to follow suit.

Gov. Whitmer expands unemployment benefits to self-employed, independent contractors and more

LANSING, Mich. (WXYZ) — Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced new programs for workers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.

Under the federal CARES Act, Whitmer signed an agreement to implement Pandemic Unemployment Assistance and Compensation programs that give benefits to those who don't qualify for state unemployment benefits.

Those include self-employed, 1099-independent contractors, gig and low-wage workers.

The agreement also increases weekly benefits for all unemployed workers by $600 a week for up to six months and extends benefit payments from 26 to 39 weeks. ...

Michigan is going to up the unemployment benefits by $600 for up to 6 months?  What pot of money are they tapping into to cover that?  The "Final-Final" version of the CARES Act said the $600 adder will be covered through July (4 months tops).  Unless there were additional changes between that and what 45 signed, really doubt Michigan has the budget room to cover that for 2 extra months.

57 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Here's one of your postings from this thread

I could argue there is a difference between arguing that they're hyping it versus that they were panicking.

But it's easier to cede the point to you and stand corrected.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, meazza said:

How strict was it enforced in NJ at the beginning?

I live in the downtown area and I immediately noticed that most people were staying home though gradually the restrictions increased. 

NJ was a close follower to NY.  People started taking it more seriously after March 13.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

NJ was a close follower to NY.  People started taking it more seriously after March 13.

We (in Quebec) are also testing at a higher per capita base than anyone in North America (according to the Premier).

Whatever the stats show, we will be eventually told to go back to work with the strong anti germ measures that you see in places like Japan.  

4 minutes ago, meazza said:

We (in Quebec) are also testing at a higher per capita base than anyone in North America (according to the Premier).

Whatever the stats show, we will be eventually told to go back to work with the strong anti germ measures that you see in places like Japan.  

Eliminate the handshakes and group hugs, and you're half way there.   Note the cultures that aren't huggy feely are doing better.

• Like (+1) 2