The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

There won't be a cure, ever, just like there is not a cure for the flu.  We'll have a vaccine that will make it more manageable, but people will still die.  At some point, we're just going to have to put on our big-boy pants and get out there.  

A vaccine can eradicate it. This isn't a virus that's constantly mutating like Influenza. 

Your sentiment is great, but it won't work. 100,000 to 200,000 deaths is now the Federal Government's best case scenario with current social distancing guidelines. People aren't just going to go on with their lives with that many deaths. 

6 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

My opinion is to take the least worse way.  Obviously to anyone not being ridiculous  

and it is my contention that you can not possibly know which is the least worst way.

i hope you were not implying that i was being ridicules. i was merely trying to spark a critical thought process on the merits of both sides of the coin.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

A vaccine can eradicate it. This isn't a virus that's constantly mutating like Influenza. 

Your sentiment is great, but it won't work. 100,000 to 200,000 deaths is now the Federal Government's best case scenario with current social distancing guidelines. People aren't just going to go on with their lives with that many deaths. 

You might be right about the vaccine.  I'm not an expert but from what I have read, almost all viruses mutate.  I have not heard that this one is different.

I do not believe it's true that 100,000 to 200,000 deaths is the government's current "best case scenario."  That's one outcome that was suggested by Fauci, but I've never heard it put forth as a best case scenario.  The fact that we are only at around 2000 makes 100,000 to 200,000 seem more like a worst case scenario at this point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'm still not seeing the lack of first world hospital care. I keep HEARING about it, but I don't see it from anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Except, y'know, when they show video of Italy and PRETEND it's NY.

People are going to die. People are going to survive. Some states will be prepared. Others will not.

None of it will be anything short of the very best effort we, as a country, can provide at this time.

It's embarrassing how many people like yourself look at what COULD be, or what MAY be, and automatically assume it WILL be a failure of epic proportions.

Just embarrassing.

Try to lift and encourage. It may change this doomsday view you keep seeing. Because when we get on the other side of this thing, you're going to look back on your posts and be stunned at how poorly you viewed this country.

Or who knows. Maybe you just like to see misery.

Go back and look at your own posts blaming the dems for hyping this crisis.  Overblown, wasn't that you? 

If you want to point out posts where I have been off base, go ahead.  Be specific please so we can discuss.

Edited by Bob in Mich

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

That's similar to a moderately severe flu tally.

100-200k. Is it worth the long-term damage to the economy? I remain unconvinced.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page: the Federal Government said 200,000 deaths is the BEST CASE SCENARIO?

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

Go back and look at your own posts blaming the dems for hyping this crisis.  

Links?

If anything the left didn't hype this crisis because they were too busy hyping an unnecessary impeachment.

The media on the other hand...

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You might be right about the vaccine.  I'm not an expert but from what I have read, almost all viruses mutate.  I have not heard that this one is different.

I do not believe it's true that 100,000 to 200,000 deaths is the government's current "best case scenario."  That's one outcome that was suggested by Fauci, but I've never heard it put forth as a best case scenario.  The fact that we are only at around 2000 makes 100,000 to 200,000 seem more like a worst case scenario at this point. 

You don't seem to grasp that this is going to keep growing exponentially across the country. 

NYC keeps asking for 30,000 to 40,000 ventilators because that's how many people they anticipate being hospitalized in critical condition in 3 weeks time.

Based on what I've read, there hasn't been any mutation yet. It could happen, but the only thing I've seen so far is that some Chinese research study concluded that it might have mutated into two different strains, but a bunch of American researches said the difference between the two is almost non existent. Everyone seems to catch the came bug which is why herd immunity was an idea many have floated under the assumption that once you get it you can't get it again. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

That is not what was said.

I didn't think you could be any worse than in any post you have ever written about Josh Allen.

However, I come over to PPP and see you have elevated being obtuse to an olympic sport.

Edited by billsfan1959

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's similar to a moderately severe flu tally.

100-200k. Is it worth the long-term damage to the economy? I remain unconvinced.

The flu averages between 30,000 and 40,000 deaths a year and in some really bad years it has spiked up around 70,000. 

As Dr. Fauci has said numerous times, this is about 10 times more deadly. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

That is not what was said.

I didn't think you could be any worse than in any post you have ever written about Josh Allen.

However, I come over to PPP and see you you have elevated being obtuse to an olympic sport.

Fauci literally said that they can expect upwards of 100,000 deaths. 

How is that not the best case scenario?

You don't seem to grasp that this is going to keep growing exponentially across the country. 

NYC keeps asking for 30,000 to 40,000 ventilators because that's how many people they anticipate being hospitalized in critical condition in 3 weeks time.

Based on what I've read, there hasn't been any mutation yet. It could happen, but the only thing I've seen so far is that some Chinese research study concluded that it might have mutated into two different strains, but a bunch of American researches said the difference between the two is almost non existent. Everyone seems to catch the came bug which is why herd immunity was an idea many have floated under the assumption that once you get it you can't get it again. 

Regarding mutation, that would be good news indeed.  I have always assumed this virus was just going to be part of our landscape for the foreseeable future.

It might be growing exponentially (whatever that means) in NYC, but that does not mean it is doing so "across the country".  In my neck of the woods, it most definitely is not.    

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

I had this discussion already.  I have in the past given credit to trump on some of his policies, and I have said that Russia gate was bs from the start, so I have shown the ability to take both sides.  How many people here can say they've ever criticized a trump policy?  If you've never criticized his policies, then either you can't get past your own bias, in which case it's impossible to have a real discussion and you're a political hack like people accuse Tibs of being, or Trump has never been wrong about anything....

TPS, just to be clear, not that i am anybody you should give twoshits about but, i value your opinion, probably more than you think. 

my contention regarding your post has absolutely nothing to do with past histrionics and everything to do with the content of that particular post. clearly, you invoked partisanship to submit.

that aside, i will agree, you do tend to give certain concessions when you view things Trump does or has done to be agreeable to your senses. yet you do also portray a propensity towards, #orangemanbad. so there is an obvious bias. now with that said, yes, i admit i am not above partisanship and have a bias too. though i like to think that my bias trends more towards being anti stupid than anything else. and while you may not have noticed, i have backed away quite a bit from all the rancor that the elite instill via their divide and conquer dog and pony show that they are so adept at. for when it comes right down to it, i favor you and i over them and at a time such as this, it really is us that matters, ***** them and their bread and circuses.

i will however reserve the right to point out stupidity where ever i encounter it and that is all i was doing with your post, please don't read anymore into it than that. and as a reciprocal, i would hope you would point out my stupidity when warranted as well.

:beer: