The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

24 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i can't help but notice throughout our entire exchange, you have avoided the premise of my initial response to you. so i'll ask it again and see if i can elicit a direct response. is the cure going to be worse than the cause? with regard to your response to said question, how do you know it as a fact?

I have answered that question.  Lives over jobs.  I think ignoring the experts and going back to business as usual today would be stupid.  So, this current cure is much better than ignoring the impact of the virus, imo.  You want certainty in a prediction but that is not possible so why keep asking?

Lives over jobs at least until we can have enough doctors and equipment to treat those that are brought to the hospital.  Stay home for now.  Follow the advice of the experts in this field.  Try to ramp up production of supplies and ventilators.  After the initial wave we will have to open things somewhat.  Perhaps we will have widespread testing available by then.  That would help a lot.

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

You don't think there was any pressure from the doctors advising him?

There may have been. But don't think they don't bow to political pressure, either. Trump's in a no-win situation here.

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

The economy was ***** either way. Business began closing before governments started close orders

So let's make it worse, right?

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

All of these decisions will be made in real time. The answer is going to be a ‘cure’, a treatment, or other advanced science breakthrough. I’m of the opinion that all of this sheltering is only buying them time for science to do its job. 

The science will kick in next year. 

There won't be a cure until the end of the year at the earliest. 

3 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I have answered that question.  Lives over jobs.  I think ignoring the experts and going back to business as usual today would be stupid.  So, this current cure is much better than ignoring the impact of the virus, imo.  You want certainty in a prediction but that is not possible so why keep asking?

Lives over jobs at least until we can have enough doctors and equipment to treat those that are brought to the hospital.  Stay home for now.  Follow the advice of the experts in this field.  Try to ramp up production of supplies and ventilators.  After the initial wave we will have to open things somewhat.  Perhaps we will have widespread testing available by then.  That would help a lot.

So... you have no answer. Got it. 

You'd rather push fear than stop and think for a moment about the actual cost of what you're pushing. 

(because you've been programmed to be emotional rather than rational like a good lil' NPC)

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They won’t keep a lockdown for that long. Too many businesses will die. 

They'll just have to keep bailing people out. 

No chance at all the winning election strategy will be giving in and voluntarily letting people die.

Trump will just run up the debt and the deficit. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Purely political pressure. If he doesn't extend the guidelines, the shrill voices escalate to a fever pitch.

In time, I'm confident I'll be proven right when the economy swirls the hopper. Of course, that's exactly what the opposition wants in an election year.

The guidelines Trump extended involve relatively low-cost measures like social distancing, not draconian "Shelter in Place" rules that have been imposed by various state and local governments and which effectively shut down the entire economy.    

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Will never work. 

This is asking for violence. 

Lunacy.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Foxx said:

lol. so... in your submission post, you act partisan. mmm kay.

facepalm-smiley-gif-548.gif.70f2ef1d03d5c612a196107b0583bf8c.gif

I had this discussion already.  I have in the past given credit to trump on some of his policies, and I have said that Russia gate was bs from the start, so I have shown the ability to take both sides.  How many people here can say they've ever criticized a trump policy?  If you've never criticized his policies, then either you can't get past your own bias, in which case it's impossible to have a real discussion and you're a political hack like people accuse Tibs of being, or Trump has never been wrong about anything....

7 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

you really didn't answer it, Bob. not a big deal but i did ask which would be worse and how you would know it for a fact, not which you prefer...  which seems to be your response.

carry on.

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There won't be a cure, ever, just like there is not a cure for the flu.  We'll have a vaccine that will make it more manageable, but people will still die.  At some point, we're just going to have to put on our big-boy pants and get out there.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Foxx said:

you really didn't answer it, Bob. not a big deal but i did ask which would be worse and how you would know it for a fact, not which you prefer...  which seems to be your response.

carry on.

My opinion is to take the least worse way.  Obviously to anyone not being ridiculous  

18 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

"we get back to a first world level of hospital care....after the initial wave passes in the hotspots. "

RIF  Work on your comprehension.  Maybe you could stress less if you didn't assume you were the only thinking person.

If a hospital gets overwhelmed, treatment is no longer what I would call first world hospital care.  If there are sufficient healthy employees and equipment of course we have first world level of care in the US. 

I'm still not seeing the lack of first world hospital care. I keep HEARING about it, but I don't see it from anyone, anywhere, at any time.

Except, y'know, when they show video of Italy and PRETEND it's NY.

People are going to die. People are going to survive. Some states will be prepared. Others will not.

None of it will be anything short of the very best effort we, as a country, can provide at this time.

It's embarrassing how many people like yourself look at what COULD be, or what MAY be, and automatically assume it WILL be a failure of epic proportions.

Just embarrassing.

Try to lift and encourage. It may change this doomsday view you keep seeing. Because when we get on the other side of this thing, you're going to look back on your posts and be stunned at how poorly you viewed this country.

Or who knows. Maybe you just like to see misery.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

with genomics being a relatively new science, the possibilities are exciting. however, much like the flu, this coronavirus is going to mutate. and since we really haven't been able to come up with a 'cure' for the flu, i am doubtful that one will arise for corona.

• Like (+1) 2