The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think it’s an interesting study. I never cared for Obama much but I never got to the point of posting stuff like I read from some of these people. You have to be in a really sad place in your soul to make comments like that about other Americans. Sad.

But it's funny in its own way because it keeps the leftwing meltdown alive.

It's sofa king funny. Especially the Hillary tweet earlier this week. It's vile and disgusting, but damn do I enjoy chuckling at these unhinged nutbags.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

"Razor" = old-style metal instrument to cut hair

"Shaver" = new-style electric instrument to cut hair

you're reachin' there, Doc.

it's not really that important, unless of course, shaver thin is the new, razor thin margin.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Foxx said:

you're reachin' there, Doc.

it's not really that important, unless of course, shaver thin is the new, razor thin margin.

Why would I be "reaching"?  If you know 4mer, he likes to make jokes.  What I did was try to explain why I think he's saying "shaver" instead of "razor."  If you want to know for sure, wait for him to respond or PM him. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why would I be "reaching"?  If you know 4mer, he likes to make jokes.  What I did was try to explain why I think he's saying "shaver" instead of "razor."  If you want to know for sure, wait for him to respond or PM him. 

ummm... you did follow that i did ask him, right?

1 hour ago, GG said:

Now Diamond Princess is a good barometer for the spread?    Isn't that good news that in the most perfect petri dish for the virus, not everyone contracted the disease and died?

Yes, and it shows you the power of "social distancing," since everyone was confined to their cabin.  What do you think would've happened if they didn't do that and went "back to business as usual"?  

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SO MAYBE SOCIAL DISTANCING IS WORKING: 

“Currently, the doubling time is 4.1 days, versus the value of 2.32 days computed not too many days ago.” 

What I’m noticing in my area is that people got a lot more careful about 7-10 days ago.

If that’s general, it could account for the change.

Ya B-Man definitely helping alot. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yes, and it shows you the power of "social distancing," since everyone was confined to their cabin.  What do you think would've happened if they didn't do that and went "back to business as usual"?  

You have to be consistent.  Your position has been all over the map, always trending to the negative, despite the evidence.

Social distancing on the ship only started once the disease was identified.   The ship sailed on January 20, the first infected patient disembarked on Jan 25, and by Feb 4 much of the ship was infected and that's when the quarantine set in.   Officials acknowledged that most infections took place before the quarantine.  If you look at that petri dish, it was ideal conditions based on demographics, ultra high density of the population, constant close interactions and a central HVAC system across the ship.

Yet, it wasn't a complete disaster.   That bodes well for how this things will spread across the wider population in the world.

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SO MAYBE SOCIAL DISTANCING IS WORKING: 

“Currently, the doubling time is 4.1 days, versus the value of 2.32 days computed not too many days ago.” 

What I’m noticing in my area is that people got a lot more careful about 7-10 days ago.

If that’s general, it could account for the change.

That's why everyone who predicted doomsday a week ago are recalculating their models.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Because the “Ratings” of my News Conferences etc. are so high, “Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football type numbers” according to the @nytimes, the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. “Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him.” said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!

Ladies and gentlemen, The President of the United States.
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GG said:

You have to be consistent.  Your position has been all over the map, always trending to the negative, despite the evidence.

Social distancing on the ship only started once the disease was identified.   The ship sailed on January 20, the first infected patient disembarked on Jan 25, and by Feb 4 much of the ship was infected and that's when the quarantine set in.   Officials acknowledged that most infections took place before the quarantine.  If you look at that petri dish, it was ideal conditions based on demographics, ultra high density of the population, constant close interactions and a central HVAC system across the ship.

Yet, it wasn't a complete disaster.   That bodes well for how this things will spread across the wider population in the world.

That's why everyone who predicted doomsday a week ago are recalculating their models.

I trust President Trump and Dr. Fauci words the most.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo threatens lawsuit over Rhode Island crackdown on virus-fleeing New Yorkers

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is threatening to sue Rhode Island over its new coronavirus policy that calls for police to stop cars with New York license plates and has seen National Guard members go door-to-door to ask if anyone has arrived from the Empire State.

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo -- like Cuomo, a Democrat -- announced the drastic new policies last week to limit the spread of the coronavirus. New York is the epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., confirming more than 52,000 cases of COVID-19 and recording more than 700 deaths.

"I understand the goal ... but there’s a point of absurdity, and I think what Rhode Island did is at that point of absurdity," said Cuomo. “We have to keep the ideas and the policies we implement positive rather than reactionary and emotional.”

</snip>

I'm with Rhode island on this. Hell with Cuomo

• Like (+1) 3

YESTERDAY’S WUHAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS

Yesterday (March 28), new reported deaths in the U.S. from the Wuhan coronavirus exceeded 500 for the first day ever, according to Worldometer. On March 26, the daily death count was half of what it was yesterday.

The New York City pandemic is driving the increase. The pandemic there shows no sign of abating, and the high number of new reported cases from New York might well drive the daily national death count higher for weeks to come.

A key question for me is whether other big metropolitan areas will experience New York-like pandemics. New York, of course, is larger and more compact than other major cities, and, as I understand it, had more contact with Chinese nationals during January and February.

Thus, there’s reason to hope that no metropolitan area will be hammered by the virus to the extent New York has been. But there’s also reason to fear that we will see several mini New Yorks before long.

In Western Europe, meanwhile, the daily death figures (as reported by Worldometer) have inched towards 1,000 in Italy and Spain. They have held steady the past few days in France (at around 300) and Germany (at around 80). Great Britain reported 181 deaths on March 27 and 260 yesterday.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/03/yesterdays-wuhan-coronavirus-numbers-3.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+powerlineblog%2Flivefeed+(Power+Line)

32 minutes ago, GG said:

It's not clear what you are suggesting--the infection rate is less than what's been reported?  Are you suggesting it was so rampant yet only 20% of the passengers got it?  If we just wash our hands, all would be well?

As for consistency, I've had the same argument the entire time.  

1. If we acted like this was the flu and went around doing business as usual, then the pandemic would overwhelm the healthcare system raising the CFR to 3-5 times, as in Italy, Spain, France et al, where you seemed to think only Italy was an "outlier." You also suggested Switzerland provided some counter example to Pueyo?  Still think so?  This is what all of the extreme forecasts were based upon. However...

2. The spread and CFR are dependent on how extreme the measures are that are used to combat this.  Original estimates of extreme numbers were based on the R0 of 2-3 and 1% CFR, assuming NO extreme measures like social distancing.  If social distancing is used, then the numbers drop dramatically.  I don't think this is too hard to understand.  This is what Pueyo suggested, by using the "hammer" you can slow the spread, bringing down the R0 to under 1.  He thought two weeks would do it. I think he's being too optimistic.

Most of you were bitching and moaning about Cuomo's fairly quick--and what seemed "extreme" at the time--response to this, calling it media hysteria and hype.  Do you really think NYC will be back to "normal" soon?  

49 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Because the “Ratings” of my News Conferences etc. are so high, “Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football type numbers” according to the @nytimes, the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. “Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him.” said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!

Ladies and gentlemen, The President of the United States.

I can't wait for season 2....