The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Reusable bags should be banned permanently. They should be called "Save The Germs Bags" or "Petri Dishes With A Handle". 

I'm sure the climate extremists are all in favor of having everyone use them right now. The quicker civilization ends, the better for the climate...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can we go back to the paper bags now? Or isn’t that woke enough for the climate change crowd? 

Oh sure, go back to paper bags made from pulp that partially comes from dead fall in the forests. How would we feed our forest fires if we got rid of all the dead trees laying around? 

13 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No stay at home order, though. Governor DeSantis is screwing up big time. There is an online petition calling on him to shut down the state (300,000) signers. 

First he was slow on the beaches, now this

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-sees-sharp-spike-in-coronavirus-infections-as-fears-grow-it-could-be-another-hotspot

Geez I wonder how the virus got to Florida.  Occum's Shaver called and wondered aloud if New Yorkers had stayed at home if this would have happened.

13 hours ago, GG said:

If that's the case and given the mortality rate, the world would be dead

I assume sarcasm.

Data from the Diamond Princess found that the asymptomatic cases were a minimum of 18%, but probably higher since the sample consisted disproportionately of older people.  Why do you think estimates of the impact were so extreme, even with a CFR of 1%?  Because the R0 of 2.5 - 3 combined with a relatively high number who don't show symptoms at all, or for at least 5-7 days.  Without extreme measures of social distancing, a large % of the population would get it. We're about to see how being lackadaisical about the policy impacts FL.  That, and I'll say it again, you mentioned "culture" as a factor influencing the spread, and I totally agree with you.  We are a nation with a large % of selfish A$$holes who don't care if they get it, and would rather continue partying.  Sorry, but there's no ***** way we "get back to work" next month.  Maybe by June...   

As for Mass vs NY, over the past 2 days, new cases in MA increased by about 2,000, and in MY 15,000, despite the "faster growth rate" in MA.  

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Geez I wonder how the virus got to Florida.  Occum's Shaver called and wondered aloud if New Yorkers had stayed at home if this would have happened.

The virus is getting everywhere eventually.  That's not an excuse for how the governor responds either.  And, allowing spring breakers to party was the biggest influence of all.

Edited by TPS
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Salutations from the Jersey hot zone. Just dropping in to say ***** China and their Savage bat and cat eating culture.

New York Times Unfurls Giant Banner Honoring Chairman Mao

The Babylon Bee

article-4798-2.thumb.jpg.da3425a2abcd4eb4c33d6a2570f2dedf.jpg

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-york-times-admits-giant-mural-of-mao-on-building-was-inappropriate

After public outcry, they admitted this might have been "slightly inappropriate."

"While we stand by our decision to honor one of history's great men, we admit the banner lacked important historical context," said one Times editor. "While his ideas were morally right, they factually killed a bunch of people, and that's not something we wanted to promote. Unless you're killing yourself to combat climate change."

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

hey 4mer, this is off topic but i have been wondering for sometime now, ever since i first saw you use it. why is it that you choose to refer to the common colloquial, 'Occam's razor' as Occam's shaver? I have never seen it referred to in that light and am just curious why you prefer to use your pet twist on it?

TYIA

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

hey 4mer, this is off topic but i have been wondering for sometime now, ever since i first saw you use it. why is it that you choose to refer to the common colloquial, 'Occam's razor' as Occam's Shaver? I have never seen it referred to in that light and am just curious why you prefer to use your pet twist on it?

TYIA

Twist?  I don't think he's using a twist. 

4 minutes ago, TPS said:

I assume sarcasm.

Data from the Diamond Princess found that the asymptomatic cases were a minimum of 18%, but probably higher since the sample consisted disproportionately of older people.  Why do you think estimates of the impact were so extreme, even with a CFR of 1%?  Because the R0 of 2.5 - 3 combined with a relatively high number who don't show symptoms at all, or for at least 5-7 days.  Without extreme measures of social distancing, a large % of the population would get it. We're about to see how being lackadaisical about the policy impacts FL.  That, and I'll say it again, you mentioned "culture" as a factor influencing the spread, and I totally agree with you.  We are a nation with a % of selfish A$$holes who don't care if they get it, and would rather continue partying.  Sorry, but there's no ***** way we "get back to work" next month.  Maybe by June...   

As for Mass vs NY, over the past 2 days, new cases in MA increased by about 2,000, and in MY 15,000, despite the "faster growth rate" in MA.  

The virus is getting everywhere eventually.  That's not an excuse for how the governor responds either.  And, allowing spring breakers to party was the biggest influence of all.

It is getting everywhere and exalting the Cuomo's of the world while at the same time deriding the Republicans is an absolute joke.  PEOPLE are doing stupid things that weren't stupid yesterday.  That is what is spreading the virus.  People can adapt but aren't good at moving away from their norms quickly.  People in NY should not have been traveling to Florida.  If Cuomo banned travel it would have helped.  If DeSantis banned incoming it would have helped, but....too late.

10 minutes ago, TPS said:

I assume sarcasm.

Data from the Diamond Princess found that the asymptomatic cases were a minimum of 18%, but probably higher since the sample consisted disproportionately of older people.  Why do you think estimates of the impact were so extreme, even with a CFR of 1%?  Because the R0 of 2.5 - 3 combined with a relatively high number who don't show symptoms at all, or for at least 5-7 days.  Without extreme measures of social distancing, a large % of the population would get it. We're about to see how being lackadaisical about the policy impacts FL.  That, and I'll say it again, you mentioned "culture" as a factor influencing the spread, and I totally agree with you.  We are a nation with a large % of selfish A$$holes who don't care if they get it, and would rather continue partying.  Sorry, but there's no ***** way we "get back to work" next month.  Maybe by June...   

Spring break, Mardi Gras and the *****heads from NYC who abandoned the sinking ship that is NYC to go to their second homes and vacation places and insure that they spread the virus. Reports are that starting a few weeks ago private jets were heading from NY to FLA in record numbers. Normally Chautauqua Institution doesn't operate their gate system until their 9-week Summer. They've had so many people from NYC and elsewhere open up their Summer homes that they have to operate that system now. We should have quarantined NYC and the surrounding areas even before De Blasio and his Health Commissioner quit encouraging people to party and ride the subway. 

‘We are living in the peak of this epidemic,’ says Italian health official, expecting drop in cases in 10 days

A top Italian health official said Sunday that he believes the country is at the “peak” of the coronavirus outbreak and that within a week to 10 days the number of cases will start dropping.

Deputy Health Minister Pierpaolo Sileri told the BBC that Italy’s lockdown is starting to work. The country is the world’s worst-hit by the pandemic, having overtaken the official Chinese death toll 10 days ago.

“I believe we are living in the peak of this epidemic,” Sileri said. “In one week time, 10 days maximum, we will see a drop, a significant drop in positive cases.”

Sileri said that he thought that the pandemic would slow because of the lockdown that Italian leaders imposed on their nation on March 12, when they became the first European country to close most of their businesses.

The number of confirmed cases of covid-19 continues rapidly to increase in Italy, but Sileri said that the most recent numbers have spiked because the country significantly increased its ability to do tests in the last two to three days.

He said he was hopeful that the death toll would also soon start dropping. On Saturday, Italian authorities said that 889 people had died in the previous 24 hours, down slightly from the record Friday toll.

In South Korea, number of recovered patients is rising twice as fast as new infections

TOKYO — South Korea reported another sign that it is turning the corner in the battle against the novel coronavirus on Sunday, as the number of people deemed to have fully recovered rose more than twice as fast as the number of new infections.

While South Korea reported 105 new cases of coronavirus on Sunday, the number of people who had recovered rose by 222, said the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

On Saturday, the country recorded another encouraging milestone with news that the total number of people who had recovered exceeded the number of people still in quarantine for the first time. Out of the 9,583 confirmed cases of coronavirus in South Korea, 5,033 of them have recovered.

The death toll in the country increased by eight and stands at 152 as of Sunday.

South Korea has won praise for one of the most determined efforts around the globe to test, trace and track every patient who has coronavirus, although the mass surveillance effort has left some people uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, Q-baby! said:

I do and I laugh. Then I go back to laughing at you! 

Must be down to zero cases by now? Or will that coincide with Mexico paying for the “wall?”

At least my walls are not made from stacked empty beer cans.  Good news for you in that there will be good fishing in Cattaraugus Creek now that spring is here.  Less raiding the dumpster at the Springville McD's for you.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

At least my walls are not made from stacked empty beer cans.  Good news for you in that there will be good fishing in Cattaraugus Creek now that spring is here.  Less raiding the dumpster at the Springville McD's for you.

DNR

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Oh ######rob, you still think you know where I am from. Wrong. I have never even heard of that creek. Believe me, plenty of great fishing for me! 

Spain’s daily coronavirus death toll hits new daily record of 838 people, nearing Italy’s grim rate

A priest and relatives pray as a victim of the covid-19 is buried by undertakers at the Almudena cemetery in Madrid, Spain, March 28, 2020. A priest and relatives pray as a victim of the covid-19 is buried by undertakers at the Almudena cemetery in Madrid, Spain, March 28, 2020. (Olmo Calvo/AP)

Spain’s daily death toll from the coronavirus hit a new high of 838 people in the last 24 hours, according to figures released Sunday by the country’s Health Ministry.

Spain is rapidly catching up with Italy as the world’s worst-hit nation, as measured by the daily death toll and the number of infections as a portion of the population. Italy on Saturday said that 889 had died in the previous 24 hours, down slightly from the Friday toll, which was a record.

The total number of people in Spain who have now died from the virus is 6,528 people, the Spanish figures said. A day ago, the daily death toll was 832, and on Friday it was 769. There are 78,797 infections in Spain, up 9 percent from the previous day. Spanish health authorities warn that many hospitals are overwhelmed.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez on Saturday tightened the country’s two-week-old lockdown, telling all nonessential workers that they needed to remain at home, suspending most of Spain’s economic activity.

He asked European leaders to move quickly to shore up the continent’s suddenly crashing economy, after a Thursday videoconference of E.U. leaders broke up with rancor and inaction when leaders of richer northern countries refused to come to the economic aid of Italy and Spain.

“The answer must be European,” Sánchez said, calling for a European “war economy.”

Cuomo threatens lawsuit over Rhode Island crackdown on virus-fleeing New Yorkers

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is threatening to sue Rhode Island over its new coronavirus policy that calls for police to stop cars with New York license plates and has seen National Guard members go door-to-door to ask if anyone has arrived from the Empire State.

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo -- like Cuomo, a Democrat -- announced the drastic new policies last week to limit the spread of the coronavirus. New York is the epicenter of the outbreak in the U.S., confirming more than 52,000 cases of COVID-19 and recording more than 700 deaths.

"I understand the goal ... but there’s a point of absurdity, and I think what Rhode Island did is at that point of absurdity," said Cuomo. “We have to keep the ideas and the policies we implement positive rather than reactionary and emotional.”

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3