The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

36 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I disagree. WNY is not NYC. This would be totally unnecessary and unfair, but they might do it anyway. Lock down NYC and Conn possibly but this is a vastly different part of NY state and should be treated as such. 

Thank you. 

51 minutes ago, GG said:

What kind of virus is treated by malaria meds and antibiotics?   

Several, apparently, including HIV and SARS.  The two predominant working hypothesese for the anti-viral properties of Chloroquine seems to involve raising the endosomal pH to inhibit viral /cell interaction, and in addition functioning as a Zinc ionophore.  Here's a few references:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(03)00806-5/fulltext

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5461643/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182877/

I would expect the antibiotic benefits to be more relevant in controlling secondary bacterial infections that opportunistically attack the epithelial cells once the virus has weakened the immune system.  But I'm not a doctor, so I'll defer to them on that.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Offered without comment:

According to state of Oregon: 

Number of CV19 patients on ventilators: 31

Number of Ventilators available: 715

In Oregon, all nonessential businesses are closed by government fiat.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Offered without comment:

According to state of Oregon: 

Number of CV19 patients on ventilators: 31

Number of Ventilators available: 715

In Oregon, all nonessential businesses are closed by government fiat.

Plus hunting, fishing, beach and wildlife access.

• Like (+1) 1

Trump mulls coronavirus quarantine on New York, New Jersey, Connecticut

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

President Trump on Saturday said he is considering imposing an enforceable quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut as part of the efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hotspot — New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut quarantined,” he said outside the White House.

“I’m thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine — short term, two weeks for New York, probably New Jersey and certain parts of Connecticut.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mulls-imposing-coronavirus-quarantine-on-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Chinese quarantined Wuhan and it helped.  If quarantining this area (or any area) helps prevent the spread of the disease it should be done.  

At this point it's probably too late (all it takes is 1 individual outside the quarantined area for the quarantine to be ineffective, and we already know that to be the case even with the piss poor testing being done) but again if the experts say it's a good idea then that's fine.  My main concern is that people/governments outside of the quarantined areas might loosen their social distancing discipline and measures.  

Whether he has the legal authority to do so I don't know, but in times of crisis the president should have this kind of authority.  

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'd be curious to see if that changes over the coming weeks or not. I'm (clearly) no doctor, so I have no way to really double check any clinical information I come across other than by relying on medical experts. It seems odd that France and India both would be hoping on the train if it wasn't showing results -- but I guess we'll see over time. :beer: 

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I propose a quarantine of reporters and media pundits to the safety of Ryker’s Island for the next 24 months. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GG said:

Do they know that the state above them is now growing at a faster rate than NY?

Should they worry more about a 30% growth on a base of 4,000, or a 20% growth on a base of 50,000? Or, are you assuming the faster growth will continue?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Trump mulls coronavirus quarantine on New York, New Jersey, Connecticut

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

President Trump on Saturday said he is considering imposing an enforceable quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut as part of the efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hotspot — New York, New Jersey, maybe one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut quarantined,” he said outside the White House.

“I’m thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine — short term, two weeks for New York, probably New Jersey and certain parts of Connecticut.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mulls-imposing-coronavirus-quarantine-on-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut

Wild swings with this guy, open by Easter one moment, next, its close down society. I guess its really sinking into him this is serious 

57 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

This pandemic puts the whole "Climate Emergency" into perspective

Yup, listen to the scientists not the conspiracy theorists