The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yup. I would not believe anything coming out of China. Not cases numbers, deaths, recovery, protocols... nuthin’.

And, unless they are ABSOLUTELY the only provider of medicine / equipment, wouldn't accept any "aid" from them either.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Again, Italy appears to be a huge outlier relative to everywhere else, and really shouldn't be used as the sample.

So Spain is an outlier too?  Possibly France, if your metric is critical or severity of cases.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yup. I would not believe anything coming out of China. Not cases numbers, deaths, recovery, protocols... nuthin’.

Morning Joe is so excited posting about this, he forgot to bury a dead intern in his office.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TH3 said:

Pretty soon someone with a twitter account can post "Dude on backwater forum who thought CV 19 was a bioweapon white hat blah blah blah....now understands it wasn't" 

I think some dude on a backwater forum might talk about a guy who ingested fish tank cleaner in order to prevent him from getting a virus. It won't be you though because you believed the story and posted it, hook, line and sinker boy. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It will likely go higher as NYC hospitals become overwhelmed.

I heard Cuomo say that on average patients spend 5 to 11 days hooked up to a ventilator.

The major concern is that when hospitals run out of ventilators (as they did in Italy), new patients who turn critical will be left to die because the only way to survive at that point is to be hooked up to one. 

This is the whole reason people have been asked to socially distance themselves so that everyone doesn't get sick at the same time and completely incapacitate the healthcare system. 

Italy's hospitals got over run.

So far that hasn't happened in the US, but it likely will in certain spots within the next week or so. 

The number of infected people is still doubling about every 3 days. 

A few days ago I said there'd be 16,000 cases today simply based off the math (up from 8,000). As things stand that looks pretty likely given the stats out so far today. 

The main question is in 3 days will there be 32,000 new cases? If so there's absolutely no chance Trump can try to reopen the country at Easter. 

Well, let’s just see how things go. No sense in predicting what we don’t know.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And, unless they are ABSOLUTELY the only provider of medicine / equipment, wouldn't accept any "aid" from them either.

Our hospitals in NY are about to be be overwhelmed. I would accept help from Satan at this point. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Again, Italy appears to be a huge outlier relative to everywhere else, and really shouldn't be used as the sample.

Italy, Spain and perhaps other areas are not outliers. They are lessons about what happens when the medical system collapses under the onslaught of bodies. Let's hope that doesn't happen in NYC or anywhere else here or in any other country. 

Italy was an outlier at 4% maybe because of age. It jumped to 8-9% once the hospitals got overloaded. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Our hospitals in NY are about to be be overwhelmed. I would accept help from Satan at this point. 

The reports out of the Czech Republic are that their test kits have an 80% failure rate.  (i.e., you'd be better off assuming the opposite of what the test results are) and out of Spain that their test kits are getting better with only a 30% failure rate.

That kind of "help" ain't help. 

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Someone should call Bill and see if she's available.

Even better response.  She just sent some facility pizza so she is probably all done at this point.  Not like she could do something useful like being a door wedge block or hold a window open.

2 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

Same with me. I figured the employment numbers would have been enough to keep the downward trend going

Those numbers were already taken into account previously. The stock market is controlled by what people think is going to happen not what has already happened. 

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

By the end of the day the US will have the most COVID-19 cases in the world.

However the rate of which new cases is doubling seems to have slowed down slightly which is positive. 

We have the world's third largest population and you can at least double China's reported cases.  The only true metric after all this is over to determine the US's response to the virus is coronavirus related deaths per capita compared to other democratic countries.  Even then there's so any other variables to be able to draw firm conclusions.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Italy, Spain and perhaps other areas are not outliers. They are lessons about what happens when the medical system collapses under the onslaught of bodies. Let's hope that doesn't happen in NYC or anywhere else here or in any other country. 

Italy was an outlier at 4% maybe because of age. It jumped to 8-9% once the hospitals got overloaded. 

Totality agree with this.

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We have the world's third largest population and you can at least double their cases.  The only true metric after all this is over to determine the US's response to the virus is coronavirus related deaths per capita compared to other democratic countries.  Even then there's so any other variables to be able to draw firm conclusions.  

This virus can be tricky, might be good and healthy few days than get to ICU level. Some worst at worst on start.  Plus more cases around the USA coming days.  Deadliest day so far .

My words is well see what happens next few days. 

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

9 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Germany has done an insane amount of testing per person when compared with the US. Their numbers are and should be much higher because Germany has been aggressively testing since day 1. Their death rate, though, is less than half a percentage point which is good in comparison with other countries.

If the US did an "insane amount" of testing, our death rate would drop too. The numerator is easy to track, the denominator varies based on testing and reliable results.

Edited by CarpetCrawler
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, let’s just see how things go. No sense in predicting what we don’t know.

We do know where it's going to some extent.

Maybe not exactly, but all the experts on this subject matter expect it to get exponentially worse over the coming weeks. 

If by Monday night the US sees 30,000 new cases there will be hundreds of people dying every day. 

• Like (+1) 1