The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

34 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Anyone else find it odd that in the wake of indefinite lockdowns & travel restrictions, record unemployment claims, and continued spreading of the virus that the stock market is rallying?

I know the Feds are passing a relief bill, but it sure doesn't feel like we're out of the woods yet.

As I posted yesterday, I jumped in with a bit more an d"bought dip" on Tuesday, but I'm really not confident that was the bottom.  Investors are happy about the passage of a bill, but I believe the news is going to be overwhelming for the next 2-3 weeks, leading to the next big move down.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You're an #######. Seriously. I'd say "try harder" but you need to start with trying at all. Jerk.

22 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

He took you to church sir, because when you asked him what he personally was doing....he answered. 

The appropriate response to that crazy Northwestern Boise Boy Idahoan would be:  "That's awesome and the world would be a better place if everyone tried to pitch in like that. 

(You could also ask him why when I read his posts, it sounds in my head like he would look like Tim Graham.  It's odd.) 

I understand these are tense times so it's easy to see red, which often makes us blind to what's beyond the tip of our nose in front of our face.

So for that reason I find the hypocrisy understandable and easily forgivable and forgotten.

Stay safe and healthy and keep helping those around you who need it. :beer:

The US’s COVID-19 Death Rate Is Far Below the Rates in Italy and Spain. 

I wouldn’t get too excited about this. My guess is that it’s a combination of

(1) Lag, since the disease got here later thanks to the early travel ban with China, and people usually don’t die until three or four weeks after they’re infected;

and (2) the US having more ICU beds per capita, so that it will take us longer to hit the saturation threshold above which the mortality rate goes way up

(I think this is the big difference, actually). I’d love to be wrong, but I think that’s what’s going on.

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

As I posted yesterday, I jumped in with a bit more an d"bought dip" on Tuesday, but I'm really not confident that was the bottom.  Investors are happy about the passage of a bill, but I believe the news is going to be overwhelming for the next 2-3 weeks, leading to the next big move down.  Just my 2 cents...

That's where I am. It's killing me to sit on the sidelines, but I just can't imagine we don't see another drop.

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm not certain it's as much a conspiracy theory at this point as it is the way the sausage gets made in times of national crisis (at least with regards to my last comment). Perhaps the internal numbers are trending better than the doomsayers prognosticated (there's evidence of this), perhaps the treatments are working better than expected (there's evidence of this) -- both of which could spark more internal optimism which bleeds through to the market. I wouldn't consider that a conspiracy theory as much as a failure of the media to cover this event honestly and the administrations reluctance to spread "false hope" after two weeks of getting pummeled with that line. 

Then there's every chance that what Rob said is accurate too -- that the market is responding to something, but it's not that we're out of the woods. 

There ARE plenty of conspiracy theories out there right now, however. Despite what most probably think of my own style and analytical methods, I like to operate from a position of fact first before extrapolating out and trying to fill in the blanks -- and right now most of those conspiracy theories out there lack a solid enough foundation for me to take a true run at.

My position, as always, changes with new information but (for fun and since you asked) here are the "conspiracy" theories that I'm aware of and my own personal odds of their accuracy: 

1. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released intentionally by China to fight back against their economic slide brought on by the administration. If true, this would be nothing less than an act of war. Without solid evidence to back up the charge, the government likely would NEVER disclose this to the public unless they were planning on a military style response. (I put the odds of this scenario as low but not impossibly so, call it 20%)

2. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released accidentally by China (either through negligence or incompetence). In an effort to hide their blunder, they delayed telling the world and made a bad situation exponentially worse through simple human error and hubris. If true, then there would be plenty of efforts to cover this up by the global community as well as China to prevent the public from overreacting and demanding a pound of flesh in return. (I put the odds of this scenario at 50/50)

3. The virus was released by a non-nation state actor and is a further escalation of the silent war ongoing between the powers that were and the new powers that be. There is a lot of data points to make this case stronger than it first appears, starting with https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related and then Bill Gates' sudden departure from both Microsoft and Berkshire Hathoway on the 13th. The immediate reaction of the "fact checkers" to try to downplay the relation of this arrest and the virus was immediate and loud -- and, immediately suspect because of this. We know he was working for China in an off the books research lab (which is how this shadow group operates within nation states without being a nation state itself, co-opting shadowy contractors and their infrastructure), we know the 21 vials were going to Wuhan where China's only top level bio-weapons lab is located -- but we don't know what was really in the vials. They claim it was "cancer research" materials which may well be true... but the data points are interesting to consider. (I put the odds of this scenario as low, call it 10%)

4. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released by "white hats" within the supposed "alliance" of nations/military intelligence fighting back against the cult. The virus is designed to target those who have ingested a spiked stock of adrenocrome (google image search it if you're unfamiliar), marking everyone who's partaken in these occult rituals for easy identification and disposal/cleanup/adjudication. The panic over the virus, and subsequent lock downs, are designed to keep these criminals isolated while they're swept up in a series of off the books arrests while also keeping innocents out of public spaces where they'd be in danger of blow back/collateral damage from the usual cult tactics of causing carnage to change the world's focus/keep themselves out of danger. This is clearly the most "out there" theory. (I put the odds of this scenario as almost impossible, say  <1%)

There probably are plenty of other theories out there, but these are the ones I encounter the most. 

:beer: 

I was an early purchaser of your #2 theory, actually.    I think both the 2009 swine flu outbreak and this outbreak were the results of Chinese screwups in their labs. In both instances, the US government seemed to have a heads up about something awry in China well before the outbreak came into focus for the rest of the world.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I understand these are tense times so it's easy to see red, which often makes us blind to what's beyond the tip of our nose in front of our face.

So for that reason I find the hypocrisy understandable and easily forgivable and forgotten.

Stay safe and healthy and keep helping those around you who need it. :beer:

Next time, just run with:

"Good job Idaho, what you're doing is honorable."

Signed,

TBF 

Less words, more direct and no subtle commie bs. "See red"??? C'mon man! 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm not certain it's as much a conspiracy theory at this point as it is the way the sausage gets made in times of national crisis (at least with regards to my last comment). Perhaps the internal numbers are trending better than the doomsayers prognosticated (there's evidence of this), perhaps the treatments are working better than expected (there's evidence of this) -- both of which could spark more internal optimism which bleeds through to the market. I wouldn't consider that a conspiracy theory as much as a failure of the media to cover this event honestly and the administrations reluctance to spread "false hope" after two weeks of getting pummeled with that line. 

Then there's every chance that what Rob said is accurate too -- that the market is responding to something, but it's not that we're out of the woods. 

There ARE plenty of conspiracy theories out there right now, however. Despite what most probably think of my own style and analytical methods, I like to operate from a position of fact first before extrapolating out and trying to fill in the blanks -- and right now most of those conspiracy theories out there lack a solid enough foundation for me to take a true run at.

My position, as always, changes with new information but (for fun and since you asked) here are the "conspiracy" theories that I'm aware of and my own personal odds of their accuracy: 

1. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released intentionally by China to fight back against their economic slide brought on by the administration. If true, this would be nothing less than an act of war. Without solid evidence to back up the charge, the government likely would NEVER disclose this to the public unless they were planning on a military style response. (I put the odds of this scenario as low but not impossibly so, call it 20%)

2. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released accidentally by China (either through negligence or incompetence). In an effort to hide their blunder, they delayed telling the world and made a bad situation exponentially worse through simple human error and hubris. If true, then there would be plenty of efforts to cover this up by the global community as well as China to prevent the public from overreacting and demanding a pound of flesh in return. (I put the odds of this scenario at 50/50)

3. The virus was released by a non-nation state actor and is a further escalation of the silent war ongoing between the powers that were and the new powers that be. There is a lot of data points to make this case stronger than it first appears, starting with https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard-university-professor-and-two-chinese-nationals-charged-three-separate-china-related and then Bill Gates' sudden departure from both Microsoft and Berkshire Hathoway on the 13th. The immediate reaction of the "fact checkers" to try to downplay the relation of this arrest and the virus was immediate and loud -- and, immediately suspect because of this. We know he was working for China in an off the books research lab (which is how this shadow group operates within nation states without being a nation state itself, co-opting shadowy contractors and their infrastructure), we know the 21 vials were going to Wuhan where China's only top level bio-weapons lab is located -- but we don't know what was really in the vials. They claim it was "cancer research" materials which may well be true... but the data points are interesting to consider. (I put the odds of this scenario as low, call it 10%)

4. The virus is actually a bio-weapon released by "white hats" within the supposed "alliance" of nations/military intelligence fighting back against the cult. The virus is designed to target those who have ingested a spiked stock of adrenocrome (google image search it if you're unfamiliar), marking everyone who's partaken in these occult rituals for easy identification and disposal/cleanup/adjudication. The panic over the virus, and subsequent lock downs, are designed to keep these criminals isolated while they're swept up in a series of off the books arrests while also keeping innocents out of public spaces where they'd be in danger of blow back/collateral damage from the usual cult tactics of causing carnage to change the world's focus/keep themselves out of danger. This is clearly the most "out there" theory. (I put the odds of this scenario as almost impossible, say  <1%)

There probably are plenty of other theories out there, but these are the ones I encounter the most. 

:beer: 

Pretty soon someone with a twitter account can post "Dude on backwater forum who thought CV 19 was a bioweapon white hat blah blah blah....now understands it wasn't" 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TH3 said:

Pretty soon someone with a twitter account can post "Dude on backwater forum who thought CV 19 was a bioweapon white hat blah blah blah....now understands it wasn't" 

Reading comprehension is difficult when you lack a fully functioning frontal lobe, I know. I pray you get the neurological assistance you clearly need. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1