The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

The extreme reaction to his Easter comment was the tipping point for me.  What the hell is wrong with a leader saying “I hope we’re done with this nightmare in a few weeks”?  Can’t we assess the situation as we go, rather than closing everything indefinitely?

The extreme reaction is because of how ridiculous a comment it is. It's akin to seeing a "Bills in the Hunt" graphic when they are 4-7 in mid-November. Yes, it's possible, but to promote that possibility is foolish - especially when NYC's cases are projected to peak the week after Easter. 

“You don’t make the timeline.  The virus makes the timeline.” — Dr. Anthony Fauci

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Mannc,

With all due respect, Your choices aren’t infinite here. If you aren’t voting for Trump than you’re voting for a very confused Joe Biden. Good luck with that! Save yourself. 

I watched that whole 10 minute interview on MSDNC and it’s incredibly bad. Biden Is definitely in a diminished mental capacity.  There is no way he makes it 4 years. He might not make it another year. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

The extreme reaction is because of how ridiculous a comment it is. It's akin to seeing a "Bills in the Hunt" graphic when they are 4-7 in mid-November. Yes, it's possible, but to promote that possibility is foolish - especially when NYC's cases are projected to peak the week after Easter. 

“You don’t make the timeline.  The virus makes the timeline.” — Dr. Anthony Fauci

Wrong Gary, it’s actually the exact same thing every parent tells their kids every night about how, if they do their homework (isolate, wash hands, etc) they’ll get to go to the movies on the weekend. Nothing unusual or ridiculous about it at all....nothing! I’m sure you’ve done it yourself, hundreds of times. 

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

I watched that whole 10 minute interview on MSDNC and it’s incredibly bad. Biden Is definitely in a diminished mental capacity.  There is no way he makes it 4 years. He might not make it another year. 

Gotta agree. This is going to be a mess. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

1. he doesn't listen to experts because he thinks hes smarter. Listen to the experts
  2. he talks out of his ass - It's only the flu and it all be over by April.  It will disappear, it will be a miracle. Stop telling lies
  •  - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA,” he tweeted in late February
  • “Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. They’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”

He only took this serious when the markets crashed, not when the cases were exploding. 

President Donald Trump accused Democrats of “politicizing” the deadly coronavirus during a campaign rally here on Friday, claiming that the outbreak is “their new hoax” as he continued to downplay the risk in the U.S.

“This is their new hoax,” Trump continued, adding that attacking the White House’s response to the coronavirus had become the Democratic Party’s “single talking point.”

“Democrats will always say horrible things," Trump said. "Democrats want us to fail so badly.”

So, I ask.  What was most important to him? 

In February.  Were the cases not thought to be well contained as at that point it was people who were travelers allowed back into the country?  Were those people not tested accorsingly?  At that time people thought it was contained.  When it became a wide outbreak then most of that messaging changed.  He didnt say it would be over by Easter, he said he wants to get people back to work by easter.  That is the hope.  Get your head out of your ass.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gary Busey said:

As much as you'd love to suck the teet, Trump ain't your Mom, or Dad I guess.

Nice, Gary. When exposed to a more rational way of thought ...go low. I’ve tried so many times to have a real discussion with the couple of Trump haters on here, but it generally takes no more than a minute for you and others to revert to some “I know you are but what am I” Pee Wee Herman like retort. Classy!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

In February.  Were the cases not thought to be well contained as at that point it was people who were travelers allowed back into the country?  Were those people not tested accorsingly?  At that time people thought it was contained.  When it became a wide outbreak then most of that messaging changed.  He didnt say it would be over by Easter, he said he wants to get people back to work by easter.  That is the hope.  Get your head out of your ass.

Thanks. And what was Congress, that almighty oversight body, doing at that time? Oh yeah! They were wasting hugely valuable weeks conducting a show trial on the floor of the US Senate. Not good!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

The extreme reaction is from people like you who live in a world of false dichotomies and a complete lack of understanding of human nature. This isn't an all or nothing proposition. There are ways to phase back in the workforce while still doing all we can to fight the virus. It is uncertainty that drives fear and people need a sense of comfort, a feeling of security, and a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it materializes later, rather than sooner. 

Why do you lock your doors at night? Because it makes you feel safe, even though it wouldn't really prevent anyone from getting into your home and harming you if they wanted to.  If you ever had children, how many times did you tell them everything was going to be alright, or that you would always keep them safe,  or any other comforting words that you either knew were unlikely or even false? Because people need that sense of certainty in their lives.

You can call it false hope. I call it strong leadership.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice, Gary. When exposed to a more rational way of thought ...go low. I’ve tried so many times to have a real discussion with the couple of Trump haters on here, but it generally takes no more than a minute for you and others to revert to some “I know you are but what am I” Pee Wee Herman like retort. Classy!

Trump is not a parent. He's an elected official. Is that PC enough for you?

9 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

As much as you'd love to suck the teet, Trump ain't your Mom, or Dad I guess.

Sorry, but people like to see the same thing in ther leaders as they do their parents in times of crises.: Strength and comfort

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gary Busey said:

Trump is not a parent. He's an elected official. Is that PC enough for you?

Wrong again Gary. Analogies are clearly a bit too complicated for you. The President is the elected leader of the country. He’s therefore setting the standards for today and the goals for tomorrow. Seems to me that’s EXACTLY what his job is.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

The obvious answer is No.  It wasn't taken seriously enough by Trump or Jarred who informed Trump that it was only a FLU.

He said it would be over by mid April a month ago,  before he took it seriously.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wrong again Gary. Analogies are clearly a bit too complicated for you. The President is the elected leader of the country. He’s therefore setting the standards for today and the goals for tomorrow. Seems to me that’s EXACTLY what his job is.

His goals for tomorrow (Easter) are scientifically impossible. All I'm asking for is for him to be realistic. I have a business I would like to open this summer. The longer he pretends things are improving (they're not - look at the numbers) the longer this is going to drag out.

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Sorry, but people like to see the same thing in ther leaders as they do their parents in times of crises.: Strength and comfort

This is true. If you see strength and comfort in our current president, that's good. I see a child-like adult saying something different each day.

Edited by Gary Busey
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Love the avatar 

If they are qualified and knowledgeable and had a clue, YES 

I gave you one thing ...

I said I would listen to the experts and not talk out of my ass!!

you can’t just listen!  That’s the point!  First you have to choose which experts to trust, contrary to what you are hearing from the DNC there’s a lot of varied opinions on the severity and duration of this. There’s differing opinions on potential therapeutics. Then there’s also competing priorities such as economic detestation and severe depression/isolation, the threat of public back lash, states responsibilities vs federal ones. There experts in each of those fields as well. 

Once you “listen” to them, that’s all president Slim does?  

Presidents have to make decisions and act, they can’t just pick someone, say he or she is an expert in one thing and then do nothing. 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The obvious answer is No.  It wasn't taken seriously enough by Trump or Jarred who informed Trump that it was only a FLU.

He said it would be over by mid April a month ago,  before he took it seriously.

So stopping travel from China in January wasn't "taking it seriously"?

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well, all I can say is you never will if you don't want to. 

Trump only cares about his reelection, he could give a crap about the health and safety of the people. So obvious. He's like a drunk and stupid father recklessly yelling out nonsense 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gary M said:

So stopping travel from China in January wasn't "taking it seriously"?

That was a great move and saved many lives. I think Shady is talking more about ignoring intelligence briefings on the severity of the virus and calling reaction to the news of the virus a hoax.