The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Bahrain and Belgium report their hospitals are successfully treating coronavirus patients with the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine touted by President Trump as a possible breakthrough in the pandemic.

The Kingdom of Bahrain's Supreme Council of Health chairman said his country was among the first to use the drug and that its impact has been "profound," according to the Bahrain News Agency.

The first COVID-19 case in Bahrain was reported on Feb. 21, and hydroxychloroquine was first administered to patients showing virus symptoms on Feb. 26.   

Bahrain has 419 deaths as a result of the virus, behind Croatia with 442 deaths worldwide, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Research Center. 

Meanwhile in Europe, another U.S. ally, Brussels, is reporting similar early success with the same drug and is taking steps to ensure its availability for the sickest coronavirus patients.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mead107 said:

Are there test to see if you had c-19? 
I went o the doctor mid February not feeling well some minor headache, sore throat. No temp - did have cough. Blamed it on sinus. 

now I wonder ??? 

I had/have the same thing. Not sure if it's my sinuses, just a cold or covid19. This virus is making me feel paranoid. 

6 hours ago, Hedge said:

The bill apparently gives people who file for unemployment an extra 600 bucks a week (which is 15 bucks an hour if my math is correct) along with unemployment insurance for four months.  Isn't the point of that to give people peace of mind to stay at home to help flatten the curve and pump money into the economy through consumer spending?  I highly doubt most people wouldn't go back to work knowing that this will end in four months.

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The bill apparently gives people who file for unemployment an extra 600 bucks a week (which is 15 bucks an hour if my math is correct) along with unemployment insurance for four months.  Isn't the point of that to give people peace of mind to stay at home to help flatten the curve and pump money into the economy through consumer spending?  I highly doubt most people wouldn't go back to work knowing that this will end in four months.

So there are two arguments here, well actually three if you want to accept the progressive pols one.

The progressive argument is just provide as much money as possible despite the warped disincentives to work.

The conservative argument is that this does provide a disincentive to work so it’s counterintuitive, from their standpoint.

Trumps and Mnuchin’s argument which I think is the most rational one is that even though it may provide a disincentive for some to not work, they think that it will be a minimal effect, it gets more money into the economy but more so than anything is that if they did it the way the conservative group wanted to that opposed it that it would slow the mechanism in getting the money into these affected people’s hands.   In other words there was no way to filter out that “error” without slowing down the payments.

Im fine with it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

So those unemployed will receive an extra $600 a week on top of their regular unemployment check?

• Like (+1) 1

During the WHO briefing yesterday, an AP reporter asked Dr. Tedros about Trump. The day before, Tedros had tweeted praise for Trump's handling of the virus.

If you are interested, it is at about 56:20 of the video. I just love the question. So typical. Tedros couldn't have really meant what he said. My favorite part of the question is, even though Tedros hadn't expressed any concerns with the decisions Trump has made, the reporter basically asks, "How concerned are you?"

AP Reporter:  I just want to ask you, Dr. Tedros, the tweeting that you did yesterday, you were pretty praiseworthy of President Trumps efforts. I'm just wondering, you said that he's doing a great job.I'm just wondering, you know, that President Trump has, from the beginning, minimized the importance of this, at the very start, and is now talking about Churches that might be packed in the United States come Easter time. How concerned are you about some of the decisions he is making and do you really think he is doing a great job across the board?

Dr. Tedros: I stand by what I said.

Tedros then goes on to praise Trump for doing exactly what the WHO has outlined and been asking government leaders to be doing. He also praised the role of medical and scientific communities in the US in the response - you know, the people Trump never listens to according to our friends on the left.

One of his quotes: "President Trump's commitment, you have already seen it, the whole world has seen it, and that type of leadership is very, very important."

• Thank you (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

During the WHO briefing yesterday, an AP reporter asked Dr. Tedros about Trump. The day before, Tedros had tweeted praise for Trump's handling of the virus.

If you are interested, it is at about 56:20 of the video. I just love the question. So typical. Tedros couldn't have really meant what he said. My favorite part of the question is, even though Tedros hadn't expressed any concerns with the decisions Trump has made, the reporter basically asks, "How concerned are you?"

AP Reporter:  I just want to ask you, Dr. Tedros, the tweeting that you did yesterday, you were pretty praiseworthy of President Trumps efforts. I'm just wondering, you said that he's doing a great job.I'm just wondering, you know, that President Trump has, from the beginning, minimized the importance of this, at the very start, and is now talking about Churches that might be packed in the United States come Easter time. How concerned are you about some of the decisions he is making and do you really think he is doing a great job across the board?

Tedros then goes on to praise Trump for doing exactly what the WHO has outlined and been asking government leaders to be doing. He also praised the role of medical and scientific communities in the US in the response - you know, the people Trump never listens to according to our friends on the left.

One of his quotes: "President Trump's commitment, you have already seen it, the whole world has seen it, and that type of leadership is very, very important."

Thanks, great find.  Nothing like an AP reporter sermonizing for a “quick question” searching for the right words to elicit a quotable quote that could potentially be taken out of context later, and accusing the man of lying or being duped by the President of the US.  

I’m looking forward to seeing this reported in the US media moving forward.  The last 5 minutes of the clip reveal extensive praise for the leadership of President Trump, Dr. Fauci, CDC and on down the line.  It would be reassuring to the American people to hea4 that...no? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TPS said:

It was subsumed under bioterrorism which hindered the response.

You link two things in your response: A left leaning writer in a legal newsletter and a hit piece in Vanity Fair.

Pretty high brow-stuff....

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

What do you think President Trump could have done differently? What do you think he should be doing differently? Specifics please. ?

1. he doesn't listen to experts because he thinks hes smarter. Listen to the experts
  2. he talks out of his ass - It's only the flu and it all be over by April.  It will disappear, it will be a miracle. Stop telling lies
  •  - “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA,” he tweeted in late February
  • “Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. They’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”

He only took this serious when the markets crashed, not when the cases were exploding. 

President Donald Trump accused Democrats of “politicizing” the deadly coronavirus during a campaign rally here on Friday, claiming that the outbreak is “their new hoax” as he continued to downplay the risk in the U.S.

“This is their new hoax,” Trump continued, adding that attacking the White House’s response to the coronavirus had become the Democratic Party’s “single talking point.”

“Democrats will always say horrible things," Trump said. "Democrats want us to fail so badly.”

So, I ask.  What was most important to him? 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If things don’t crater here in the next month (spoiler alert: They won’t) I believe this crisis is Trump’s ticket back to the White House.

For the past four years, I’ve been virulently anti-Trump, despite my conservative tendencies, because of his narcissism and corruption.  The past few weeks have been eye-opening for me.  The herd mentality that has gripped the media and politicians has been shocking to me—the ready willingness to shutter the economy and institutions of individual states and the United States as a whole without serious consideration of the short and long-term cost of doing, and weighing that cost against the possibility that more targeted, conservative steps, adapted to particular localities might also work. And then there was the simpering rush to adopt as gospel the worst case scenarios and shout down (or worse) anyone who questioned them.

Against this background, Trump has been the only leader who has kept his head and pushed back against the doomsaying and the rush to abandon our entire economic, social and educational systems.  And the reaction to his courage and sound instincts has been nothing short of disgusting—literally calling him a mass-murderer, without any sound evidence (or should I say, contrary to the evidence?).  It’s hilarious watching the pundits cluelessly ponder the soaring approval rating for Trump’s handling of the crisis.  

The extreme reaction to his Easter comment was the tipping point for me.  What the hell is wrong with a leader saying “I hope we’re done with this nightmare in a few weeks”?  Can’t we assess the situation as we go, rather than closing everything indefinitely?

i still don’t think I can vote for Trump, but this has truly been an eye-opening experience.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

The instruction is to follow the CDC guidelines. It's what officials have been saying for quite awhile. 

Love the avatar 

18 hours ago, dubs said:

Who is Don Lover?

What are you talking about?  So basically your approach would be to listen to the experts?  You do realize that any chief executive has to weight multiple viewpoints and considerations and then is ultimately responsible for making a decision.

So again, very very simple question:  What is one thing that you would do that is currently not being done by this president.  One thing.  That's it.

If they are qualified and knowledgeable and had a clue, YES 

I gave you one thing ...

I said I would listen to the experts and not talk out of my ass!!

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1