The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, CoudyBills said:

Aren't there predictions that virtually all of us are going to get it?  

I've seen up to 40-60% by the fall if nothing is done to limit spread. It's part of why it's so important they develop a reliable test for people to know if they have already had the virus. The sooner that happens the sooner we go back to work full strength.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are there test to see if you had c-19? 
I went o the doctor mid February not feeling well some minor headache, sore throat. No temp - did have cough. Blamed it on sinus. 

now I wonder ??? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mead107 said:

I went o the doctor mid February not feeling well some minor headache, sore throat. No temp - did have cough. Blamed it on sinus. 

now I wonder ??? 

Not yet. A few companies and state labs are working on them. If widely available they would be a game changer. 

1 minute ago, mead107 said:

now I wonder ??? 

Ditto, didn’t go to the doctor but had the same symptoms.  Took a week to feel normal again.  I’d like to think I had it, but who knows.

13 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Ditto, didn’t go to the doctor but had the same symptoms.  Took a week to feel normal again.  I’d like to think I had it, but who knows.

Was strange. Thought maybe I drank to much wine to cause the headaches.  Never had that type of headache. Other thing my taste of food was off.  
No redness in throat no swollen glands. 

Just strange. 
would love to know    

• Like (+1) 2

Common Sense Alert !

MASSACHUSETTS GOVERNOR PROHIBITS REUSABLE SHOPPING BAGS DURING CORONAVIRUS EMERGENCY.

Earlier: Plastic bag bans dangerous during COVID-19 pandemic:

“For that reason, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu issued an emergency order over the weekend prohibiting reusable shopping bags and requiring that stores use disposable plastic or paper bags instead.”

Or to put it another way: Left’s Pet Issues Like Mass Transit, Reusable Bags Prove Deadly During Coronavirus Crisis.

9 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Was strange. Thought maybe I drank to much wine to cause the headaches.  Never had that type of headache. Other thing my taste of food was off.  

Just strange. 
would love to know    

I had weird headaches I never had before either for a span of a couple weeks in February. Stabbing headaches in the temples

They would last seconds but were extremely painful

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Just strange. 
would love to know    

I had same issue 2 times this winter. Both times I hit it with gargling salt water and loading up on the GSE. My SIL is a nurse. Says no. She also claims vitamins are a waste of money. I call poopoo on that.

• Like (+1) 1

GOOD: 

Tesla’s Elon Musk Donated 1000 Ventilators to California Hospitals

USNS MERCY HEADS TO LA, COMFORT HEADS TO NYC. 

“Neither ship is intended to treat individuals suffering from COVID-19. Instead, the vessels — each of which boasts 1,000 beds which were built to treat individuals wounded in war — are intended to relieve the pressure on extant hospitals in the two cities as they experience an influx of patients.”

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

When you gonna give to me, a gift to me
Is it just a matter of time, Corona?
Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny
Or is it just a game in my mind, Corona?

M-m-m-my Corona!

Too soon?? 

Comedic timing is everything, and you sir have the knack.

Fun fact - Tarantino wanted to use that song during the gimp scene in Pulp Fiction.  Too bad, that would have been extra awkward!

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

You mean other than maintaining the payroll of five people who sit in their homes watching Netflix so they can keep their home and health insurance? You mean other than buying groceries here for people who can't leave their house? You mean other than joining local groups to buy from local businesses and restaurants?

My point is to do more and blame less. You far-left chuckleheads are so deranged over Trump that you find it necessary to pop in here to write some childish crap like "Just checking in to make sure everyone I don't agree with are still here!" before spewing repeatedly untrue nonsense about Trump gutting the panademic team.

You have one purpose here: point and blame. It's embarrassing to read against a backdrop of other people here talking about what is going on and how to address it.

Turn off the PC and try harder.

You my friend are a great addition to society! I too am doing rather then complaining and worrying.  All we can do is reach out to those that have lost ability to get up on their own. To see the small mom and pops restaurants struggle is hard to watch. We can all do our parts. Also, TIP WELL! These peoples lives are turned upside down too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

When you gonna give to me, a gift to me
Is it just a matter of time, Corona?
Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny
Or is it just a game in my mind, Corona?

M-m-m-my Corona!

Too soon?? 

More like too late:

On 3/14/2020 at 10:26 AM, Doc said:

"Muh muh muh, my Corona!"

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nanker said:

Another lie.

1. Trump Shut Down the CDC’s Pandemic Department!

Do I even need to point out how virulent and widespread this talking point has been?

Sigh:

No, the White House didn’t ‘dissolve’ its pandemic response office. I was there.

It has been alleged by multiple officials of the Obama administration, including in The Post, that the president and his then-national security adviser, John Bolton, “dissolved the office” at the White House in charge of pandemic preparedness. Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious.

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected[.]

It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.

In other words, it wasn’t dissolved, it was streamlined.

It was subsumed under bioterrorism which hindered the response.  Link

Morrison and Bolton are publicly arguing that they aren’t responsible for dismantling a highly praised pandemic team because they buried its mission under the auspices of an arms control and bioterror unit. Except those are security threats predicated upon predicting and remediating human state and non-state actors. Where, exactly, does a group born out of influenza responses fit? Because when your leadership is a bioterrorism hammer, everything becomes a nail. This is how you end up with 800 scenarios for a nerve gas attack on public transit and 0 scenarios for dealing with an asymptomatic pneumoniatic flu.

Dissolving the team would have been bad, but what the administration actually did was far worse. What they actually did was slit the throat of America’s preparedness for an outbreak like this while convincing themselves they still had a plan. Senior administration officials honestly believed they had this covered by their cut-rate bioterror team. The whole operation revolves around the idea that there’s someone to attack, someone to blame, someone to fire. But there’s no villain here and they can’t seem to grasp what to do about that.

If only they had some sort of “team” charged with “preparing” for something like this…