The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

When you cite the blaze, it removes all need to have further discussion. Why does anyone like to get information from such overtly biased sensational sources?

Just because a news source goes against ones political opinion doesnt make it worse then one that agrees with ones political opinion.  It just makes one biased. Im sure if you found an article you agreed with on said news source you would use it as leverage.  

Edited by fansince88

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Just because a news source goes against ones political opinion doesnt make it worse then one that agrees with ones political opinion.  It just makes one biased. Im sure if you found an article you agreed with on said news source you would use it as leverage.  

I would never cite the Blaze though like I never cite Huffington Post or Mother Jones unless they're linking an article to more mainstream news sources like the WSJ, Reuters, USA Today, etc..

7 hours ago, mannc said:

So not exponential 

Nope, but testing isn't being done well enough nationwide.

NYS' numbers have been pretty darn close to exponential (considering shortage of testing media upstate).

22 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What happened in Arizona? Someone committed suicide and blamed President Trump???  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-in-an-attempt-to-prevent-coronavirus/ar-BB11B8qd?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=U452DHP

TH3 just reads the headline, which as usual can be very misleading. This guy and his wife ingested chloroquine phosphate, a chemical used for cleaning out the inside of fish tanks. 

A press release from Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the husband and wife, both in their 60s, took an additive called chloroquine phosphate used to clean fish tanks, to try to prevent coronavirus.

Within half an hour, both needed to seek emergency medical care. The man later died.

During a press conference last week, President Trump touted the drug for its potential, however the Food and Drug Administration later said it had not approved chloroquine for the coronavirus, and that much more study was needed.

Follow NBC HEALTH on Twitter & Facebook.

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, nkreed said:

NYS' numbers have been pretty darn close to exponential (considering shortage of testing media upstate).

NYC and upstate are two different animals.  To expect the infection rate Upstate to be anything close to NYC is not realistic.  UpstTe resembles Indiana more than it does NYC.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

You make a great point about defining “cases”, and you are 100% percent correct. If we are saying Covid 19 mortality rate is anywhere between 1-5%, it’s probably much lower in comparison to actual cases. However, if we are saying that the mortally rate for seasonal flu is 0.02%, that is probably actually lower as well. How many people with the flu aren’t defined as “cases”? The last time I had the flu I didn’t go to the doctor, so I wouldn’t be a case. Using that metric, Covid 19 is still worse than the flu. I do agree the rate of fatalities is probably much lower than what we think. It’s certainly not a death sentence. Things are a bit hysterical right now because Italy has a terrible mortality rate. Germany’s is less than 1%. 

the flu mortality rate is based on established math equations due to known numbers and is considered to be fairly accurate. what is unknown about COVID right now, are the numbers. without the numbers you do not have input for the equations, so no true understanding is possible at this point. guesswork is all you have.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

the flu mortality rate is based on established math equations due to known numbers and is considered to be fairly accurate. what is unknown about COVID right now, are the numbers. without the numbers you do not have input for the equations, so no true understanding is possible at this point. guesswork is all you have.

Now you like math?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

NYC and upstate are two different animals.  To expect the infection rate Upstate to be anything close to NYC is not realistic.  UpstTe resembles Indiana more than it does NYC.

And that kinda proves the whole point doesn't it? It's not exponential US wide because all localities are different (and about a week behind the NYC outbreak)

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Anything to try to deflect an ounce of accountability. I guess after 4 years of the same show, I get bored.

When I posted it you attacked the messenger. When B-Man posted the same message you attacked him for deflecting accountability. The fact remains that the Obama administration depleted the supply of N95 masks and never replaced them to protect our citizens, but found a way to  ship off pallets of cash (1.8 billion dollars) to the Mullahs in Iran to kill our citizens. 

You might want to get tested for TDS. It would appear that you have a bad case of it and it has already eaten into whatever gray matter you may have had. 

Edited by 3rdnlng

2 minutes ago, nkreed said:

And that kinda proves the whole point doesn't it? It's not exponential US wide because all localities are different (and about a week behind the NYC outbreak)

They aren't going to catch up with NYC next week because they aren't on top of each other.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They aren't going to catch up with NYC next week because they aren't on top of each other.

My point wasn't that they will catch up, just that the point on the graph where other cities are is about a week behind.  There are no doubt cases in all lower 48.  It's just time before they have the same close to exponential increase in their cities/towns (if testing is done).  

1 hour ago, nkreed said:

Then why even publish the “new case” data if it’s going to be disregarded anyway on the grounds that they’re not testing enough people?  

OK, let’s look at deaths from the disease then.  Guess what? That’s not showing exponential growth (or anything close to it) either, at a national or a state level.  And the deaths from CV19 data is probably overstated because of the age and underlying conditions of most of the victims....

It’s also becoming pretty clear that NYC is unlike any other places in the country when it comes to CV19.   It’s definitely not spreading like that in places like Florida or Texas or even California.

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Huh.....looks like Dr Trump talked someone from Arizona into killing themselves...tremendous...10/10

Well, given the fact that the entire state of Arizona has suffered exactly two CV 19 fatalities (and only 63 diagnosed cases), I’d say they were victims of media-induced panic..  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yep, totally different animal.  It’s absolutely incredible that the subways and buses are still running...those should have been shut down long ago.

38 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Sounds an awful lot like Climate Change.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

For USA

It's been doubling roughly every 3 days.

In 2 weeks it may have doubled 4 more times.

If that happens, confirmed cases will be up around 650,000 to 700,000 cases. 

• Haha (+1) 1