The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Show me that PRC started the rhetoric that "chinese virus" is offensive....GO

You're a very dumb person, who can't even read what's already been posted in this thread. This is one of several already posted:

Now, deny this is state propaganda, straight from the CCP spigot. GO! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You're a very dumb person, who can't even read what's already been posted in this thread. This is one of several already posted:

Now, deny this is state propaganda, straight from the CCP spigot. GO! 

yes, it is propganda, show me they started it...since you are saying the media is parroting the PRC

I will break it down for you, you are arguing their is a causal relationship, prove it.  (what you posted was dated today....this rhetoric has been around for awhile, and yes, even before trump said it)

Edited by Crayola64

1 hour ago, GG said:

Anyone else getting the texts from friends who have contacts at FEMA talking about National Guard mobilization?

Heard the same thing from people in the guard.  Mobilized for a 7 day lock down but told to pack for 30.  Hopefully it doeant come to this.  

Edit: Maybe a game of telephone?  Might have been mobilized to help with essential functions.  Many states are doing that.  

Edited by CoudyBills

And fortunately it has not been needed thus far.

Perspective is still required

In contrast:

TN currently has 233 covid19 + persons none of whom have died.

See far worse flu data from this season including  11 pediatric flu DEATHS

ETlYpFUXgAYsWLT?format=png&name=small

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

This is awesome and exactly what is needed if the bad prognostications come true.  We need to prepare for this NOW.  The days of being able to hide at home and stall the economy are rapidly running out.  In Seattle they are building a temporary hospital on a soccer field to handle not so major stuff to take the load off the hospitals.

You know the expression, keep one eye on the "ball".  This is the ball as opposed to the virus name or yelling at reporters.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 3

New Englanders ?

N.H. residents sue over gatherings ban: 'We can choose to assemble if that is our desire'

HOPKINTON, N.H. — Three people who planned to attend political and religious events in the next few weeks are challenging New Hampshire’s statewide emergency ban on gatherings of 50 people or more to prevent spread of the coronavirus.

David Binford, Eric Couture and Holly Rae Beene filed a lawsuit Tuesday, the day after Republican Gov. Chris Sununu issued the order prohibiting large scheduled gatherings for social, spiritual and recreational activities. They argue there is no emergency, and that the governor is violating their constitutional rights.

“We can choose to assemble if that is our desire. What cannot occur is one man in a position of power deciding to strip us of our rights in the name of safety and without due process,” Couture said in press release.

A judge on Wednesday denied the group’s request for an immediate order halting enforcement of the ban and scheduled a hearing for Friday in Merrimack County Superior Court. A spokesman for Sununu said Thursday that the emergency order is consistent with actions taken across the country and is clearly within the governor’s authority.

“We are confident the court will agree,” said Ben Vihdstadt. ...

i wonder how they made out today.

From a FB post:

I talked to a man today

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole damn family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

From a FB post:

I talked to a man today

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole damn family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them.

Thanks for that. I was thinking about WWII and how this is our biggest national challenge since then - but it is a cakewalk in comparison. 

We can do this. Maybe the youngins will toughen up a little from this in the end.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

From a FB post:

I talked to a man today

That was such a good post man. But these day different people are struggling.

I have disabilites ( noone thought would make it this far) don't know if I can make it if coronavirus comes around. Living with my mother has lots of health problems and my brother. It gets hard. Lots of other people as well.

Ya man understand what you are getting too, might take me little time to understand you but I understand you lots. When I get there I understand.

Know so many older people or those with immune problems. Have to fight for them for lots of people. Try my best for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I have disabilites ( noone thought would make it this far) don't know if I can make it if coronavirus comes around. Living with my mother has lots of health problems and my brother. It gets hard. Lots of other people as well.

Ya man understand what you are getting too, might take me little time to understand you but I understand you lots. When I get there I understand.

Know so many older people or those with immune problems. Have to fight for them for lots of people. Try my best for everyone.

No one was addressing the infirm in that post. There are always exceptions. Keep yourself safe. If you are not already doing it already take extra supplements like vitamins A, B (complex), C & D. 

Remember those figures that represent new cases are only discovered if people are tested. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Stay safe. We're still weeks away from the peak

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

From a FB post:

I talked to a man today

While he is right about people being a bunch of sissies, it is high time people start recognizing their own role in all of this. His generation raised a bunch of idiots and elected a bunch of idiots and that cycle has continued to today. It seems illogical to blame the kids of today for not being taught the ideals and sacrifice that America was founded upon. There is a generation of young people that doesn’t own anything because the prices of college, real estate, health care, and vehicles is astronomical in comparison to their wages. They are told they need a college education, only to find out when they graduate that the morons their elders elected in Washington are giving their jobs away to foreigners on discount wages to massive corporations. They are told Social Security won’t be there for them, but they still have to pay into it. They are being handed a totally broken health care system. No wonder they act in selfish ways.

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

In contrast:

TN currently has 233 covid19 + persons none of whom have died.

See far worse flu data from this season including  11 pediatric flu DEATHS

ETlYpFUXgAYsWLT?format=png&name=small

Deaths from SARS-CoV-2 start slow. It's because in general the complications are preventable.  However once your local healthcare system is at capacity, deaths rise out of the lack of resources to deal with the respiratory problems.  The real reason the virus is a killer is because of how quickly it moves through a population.  

If testing and tracing of positives are being completed, expect about 390-430 cases to be there the next day.  If they are spread out around the state, deaths will stay low for about a half well, however if there's a cluster, deaths will show up within the next two days.

Massachusetts  probably ends up on that list soon, the local reps are asking for a shelter in place from the governor. That’s all everyone wants to talk about and the grocery stores were insane yesterday. Most thought Charlie Baker would wait til tomorrow, as did I,  but who knows with all the stores being picked over already. My guess was that he would shut the state down before work on Monday, now I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s today or not until next week.

Last night was the first death in the state out of hundreds of hospitalized. That rate is second to only Jerusalem as far as I know. The argument now would be to shut down the state as to not put more challenges in front of the hospitals and their workers.

The drug Trump mentioned on TV yesterday is being used in every patient that they suspect Covid in when they arrive at BMC. They had an interview with one of the doctors

last night, she was hopeful and her face looked like a smile was being held back. Inevitably Baker/Walsh will shutdown the city and or state  and it’s probably the right thing to, stay ahead of it and try and keep that fatality rate trending down. 

Kickboxing match in Bangkok leads to spike in coronavirus infections

BANGKOK — Kickboxing aficionados came from all over Thailand to attend a major Muay Thai match at Bangkok's indoor Lumpini Stadium on March 6. More than 100 went home unknowingly carrying the coronavirus.  (even in a warm climate)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kickboxing-match-in-bangkok-leads-to-spike-in-coronavirus-infections

This seems to spread very easy 

On a visit to the northern city of Milan, the head of a Chinese Red Cross delegation helping advise Italy said he was shocked to see so many people walking around, using public transportation and eating out.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-19/italian-death-toll-overtakes-chinas-as-virus-spreads

15 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I hear you, I do. Trump steps on a lot of rakes unnecessarily through his stream of consciousness style of communicating. He's not faultless, or by any means a polished messenger of information. No argument there by me. 

But that's also how he's always been. Which doesn't excuse it entirely, but after 3 + years of him being in office people should (should) be more aware of how he communicates and adjust their comprehension of his words in kind. The media -- even honest ones -- rarely do that because they don't have time to give full context in a soundbyte (and some have agendas to portray him as negatively as possible). In this case, he kept talking about it because it kept being brought up by the media in the questions which came before this one and 45 clearly hopes/wishes/pines for this to be a magic bullet. He heard/read something about it that has him very optimistic, and he's trying to spread hope over fear to the rest of us. It could be false hope, ultimately, but that's not the same as saying 45 is pushing false hope as the reporter asked. 

One is unlucky. 

The other is malicious. 

Trump is a lot of things, with a lot of traits both positive and negative, but one thing he's shown constantly through action, policies, and his words is that he cares very deeply about this country and wants nothing but the best for it. 

One step further. Re-Imagine many of the great motivational speeches of our time with a Q&A session immediately following:

MLK “....I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood....”.

Media:  DR. KING! DR. KING!! WHAT ABOUT THE DAUGHTERS??? WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO PEOPLE WHO FEEL YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT THE DAUGHTERS???

Media:  DR. KING! DR. KING!!  WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN? 

Ronald Reagan: “..We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Media....”MR. PRESIDENT! MR. PRESIDENT!  WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD??  

Media....”MR. PRESIDENT! MR. PRESIDENT! ISN’T IT TRUE THE ASTRONAUTS NEVER ACTUALLY SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH...THE SHUTTLE ACTUALLY VAPORIZED OVER THE ATLANTIC??

Rudy Giuliani:  “...the number of casualties  will be more than any of us can bear...”

Media:  “MR. MAYOR! MR. MAYOR!  WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO THE PEOPLE WHO WANT THE EXACT NUMBER OD DEAD AND INJURED??”

I recognize the first two examples are from prepared speeches v. Press conferences, and an argument can be made that DJT  went off script.  In spite of the fact that most of the assembled media standing in front of him tried to destroy him, the expectation is that he shouldn’t allow them to get under his skin.  Still, he’s human, and like him or not, the weight of the world is on his shoulders with no end in sight, with the realization that the enemy in front of him still continues to wish for his demise.  I’d forgive him for telling this douche to “$#@& off”, all he did was hurt his feelings expressing what many, many people already feel.  You could actually say he answered this question from Alexander:  “Mr. President!  What do you think millions  of your supporters feel about me, my trustworthiness and the job I’m doing here?”

• Like (+1) 1