The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Just don't numbers sometimes if China was telling truth on numbers. Feel bad for everyone tho.

There's always the risk that any number coming from China does not match reality in any normal sense.   But in this case, there's a greater risk to China to totally lie.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GG said:

There's always the risk that any number coming from China does not match reality in any normal sense.   But in this case, there's a greater risk to China to totally lie.

I have a strong feeling that the Italian medical system botched this.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

The fear in NY is to not  overwhelm the hospital system . If healthcare workers get infected and can't work , and run out of protective gear and ventilators.  B-Man could give us first hand information if this applies to WNY.

I have not heard of any "shortages" yet.

I can tell you that when I logged on to the NYS Health-Commerce system yesterday, there was an obvious preparation,

They had a log-in for all health professionals that are not currently working in clinics or hospitals to (voluntarily) sign up for areas that may need staffing in NYS in the future.

ADDED:

All Barber shops, Hair Salons and Nail Salons in NYS ordered to suspend business as of Saturday

Edited by B-Man
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

That's really bad, but at least part of it is due to the lack of available testing until now, which, as I think of it, is also really bad. 

You are 100% correct. The numbers are likely higher. There was also too much restriction on who was tested at first, making the numbers lower.

28 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Agreed.

What I find interesting is Japan. They are even older than the Italians as a population, more densely packed, and...?‍♂️

This article asks... did Japan dodge a bullet or will they be next.

For the last few weeks my 80-something year old Japanese mother-in-law has been staying with us in SoCal.  She's not sure why they haven't been hit too bad yet compared to other countries. It could still happen.  Some of it is probably due to still low testing numbers.  Some of it may be voluntary self-quarantining for the good of society.  We'll likely know more in a couple weeks. At this point they are apparently planning to start the new school year on schedule (about a week from now.)

From my own experience, Japan is the most sanitary country I've ever visited. Most people with even a common cold will wear a mask in public.  I personally think this helps a lot by cutting way down on the amount of virus-dripping water droplets being sprayed everywhere onto common surfaces.

Also, the public restrooms are constantly being scrubbed down and sanitized.  

True, it's a little weird when an old lady comes in and starts cleaning while I'm taking a whiz, but better that than the Wuhan...

• Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

California isn't as densely packed as NYC (Think about the NYC Subway all those people packed together) and they don't use as much public transport. California has also taken more proactive steps in shutting things down. Washington State has also gone into a lockdown early due to their early exposure which hopefully flattens their curve. I am super worried about Florida with their elderly population, lack of proactive actions and spring breakers not giving a ***** things could really go off there. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nkreed said:

He took the time to berate instead of answer the question of, what do you say to those who are scared?

If he disagrees with the false sense of hope from a previous question then preface your remark with it.  You can help those who are scared by letting them know that it will be okay.

Here's the thing about that though. The president is on record many, many times over on the action undertaken, the resiliency of the American people and that we'll get through this.

This big-headed douche is no objective reporter, he's been on the wrong side of the Russian/traitor/collusion/obstruction issues for 4 years.  I know this because I watch him, have seen what he "reports" and how he reports it.  

Since I know what the president has said, this big dopey douche knows it.  So, he knows what the president has said.  What then is the purpose of the question whe the answer is known? 

Personally, I think the Trumpster got tired of answering trite and stupid phony questions that are wasting valuable time, and it's time he's taking away from one of the other hundred things he has to do. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

..there are even serious medical lapses among medical personnel.....a co-worker's cousin who is an RN, went to a drive-thru test site as she was exposed while drawing blood at work. ...due to windy conditions, a PPE container blew over and was spreading about....a medical person came out of the tent and began picking up the PPE in her scrubs, with NO PPE or gloves......as a genuinely concerned RN, she reported it to the Monroe County Health Department who said, "sounds like we have a lot of work to do on this"......the person's head and heart were in the right place, but please take PERSONAL precautions as well......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

?

Fact. 

are you a Democrat? something that has not happened is a fact? really?

not a whole lotta CommonSense in that statement.

Edited by Foxx

https://fox4kc.com/news/breast-cancer-survivor-and-single-mother-of-6-dies-from-coronavirus/?taid=5e7513f65ef3770001782ed8&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

EVERETT, Wash. – A single mother of six and cancer survivor from Washington state is being remembered after she lost her life to the novel coronavirus at age 42.

“Great friend, great mother, great wife — she was a wonderful person,” said Jessica Harris, Sundee Rutter’s best friend of 30 years.

Rutter, who beat stage 4 breast cancer and also lost her husband years ago, worked hard to provide for her children, according to KOMO.

Sad even those beat cancer are affected as well :( 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

I have not heard of any "shortages" yet.

There is a mask shortage in at least parts of the Bay Area of California. I know that some hospitals have been told to reuse protective masks.

...in retrospect and FWIW, this is our "Modern Day 9-11" but with an invisible attack........political differences were put aside, we came together as a nation in the true USA spirit, and got through one of the gravest periods in this country's history, UNITED......sadly and I'm hoping I am DEAD WRONG, I just do not see the current climate being similarly able to put differences aside and unite......the hatred and vitriol runs deep and sadly the excuse we have for MSM does it best to sew those seeds of hatred, bias, and vitriol.....I trust in the spirit, intelligence and country united TBD clan to put differences aside and support the common cause regardless of political affiliation...........

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, B-Man said:

By coincidence "Martial Law Sunday Night" was the name of my second album.............?

Ok - someone tell the Orange Menace the expiration date has run out on the " China travel ban" brag.....Whatever benefits that may have had don't count if they are not followed up with continuous efforts to mitigate the spread

Must suck to be a smart guy like Fauci and get marching orders every morning to throw that line in "X" times a day.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TH3 said:

Ok - someone tell the Orange Menace the expiration date has run out on the " China travel ban" brag.....Whatever benefits that may have had don't count if they are not followed up with continuous efforts to mitigate the spread

Must suck to be a smart guy like Fauci and get marching orders every morning to throw that line in "X" times a day.....

Honest question: Do you ever get tired of exposing yourself to be nothing but a terrible poster? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...in retrospect and FWIW, this is our "Modern Day 9-11" but with an invisible attack........political differences were put aside, we came together as a nation in the true USA spirit, and got through one of the gravest periods in this country's history, UNITED......sadly and I'm hoping I am DEAD WRONG, I just do not see the current climate being similarly able to put differences aside and unite......the hatred and vitriol runs deep and sadly the excuse we have for MSM does it best to sew those seeds of hatred, bias, and vitriol.....I trust in the spirit, intelligence and country united TBD clan to put differences aside and support the common cause regardless of political affiliation...........

That "unity" led to an ill advised war that cost thousands of American lives, massive debt, legalized torture, and increased surveillance.  Regardless, I have no doubt in another emergency we'll band together like we always do because it serves our best interests to do so.

• Like (+1) 2