The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

We put a plan in place to have everyone switch off working two days per week to keep our office open Monday-Friday, in case of a court-recognized 'essential matter' (also known as an emergency.)

With the court closure, we have almost nothing to do for the next 6 weeks. We've even closed our office to the public. My boss wasn't going to do anything until I pointed out it was stupid to have everyone come in to sit in their offices and surf the internet (which I can do just fine from the comfort of my home.)

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yep.  1 day after he mandated offices make 1/2 of their workforce work from home, he ups it to 75%.

Yesterday's Executive Order seemed to exempt a lot of businesses / business functions.  Not sure if the exemption list got adjusted with today's EO.  (It won't publish on the governor's website until tomorrow.)

Wife is now working from home 1/2 time.  Not sure if that will increase as there are only 2 people that perform her function.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TH3 said:

Basing any kind of analysis on what the Chinese release is just plain a waste of time...Look at Italy.

My take....It is inevitable that like DT said....CV is going to "wash through" our country. Ultimately there will be hundreds of thousands...if not millions of casualties (pending a vaccine). 

No amount of economic help from the Feds can replace the loss of economic activity that is going to be incurred in a quarantine/shutdown. Think about this: A restaurant is in a plaza...shuts down - employees out of work. Restaurant has credit line with bank and a lease with a developer. Developer out of rent can't make payments might default on mortgage, restaurant out of credit line conditions with bank. Employees can't pay bills with a $1,000 check. Multiply by millions. 

This is the reality that we are looking at - and if you get a hold of leaked meetings and reports.....they know it

What I think is going to happen? A policy of low risk people get on with their lives and the high risk try to stay out of harms way. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of casualties and not much to stop it....and that is the choice that is going to be made. 

Why millions of casualties, and not hundreds of thousands like a super charged flu?    Are you accounting for the increased deaths that the massive quarantines are going to lead to?  Drug overdoses, suicides, family stress?

By the same token, why use Italy as the example?   By any objective measure it's a statistical outlier, especially since Lombardy's experience isn't replicated in the rest of the country.   Same with Washington State, which jumped early, but is now in regression.  

The available data shows that this is not a runaway virus.  You don't have to believe China's official numbers.  But would Apple reopen all its stores in China AND in Wuhan if people are dropping dead?   Why is the US supply chain saying that Chinese factories are returning to a semblance of normal staffing?  what's their incentive to hide the numbers and lie?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It is odd. I, for the most part, dislike people and consider myself a misanthrope. The first few days on lockdown I was itching to get out. I was going a little stir crazy. (Most unlike me.) Now, on day five, I am back to feeling myself and not caring about going out into the wild. ?‍♀️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GG said:

Why millions of casualties, and not hundreds of thousands like a super charged flu?    Are you accounting for the increased deaths that the massive quarantines are going to lead to?  Drug overdoses, suicides, family stress?

By the same token, why use Italy as the example?   By any objective measure it's a statistical outlier, especially since Lombardy's experience isn't replicated in the rest of the country.   Same with Washington State, which jumped early, but is now in regression.  

The available data shows that this is not a runaway virus.  You don't have to believe China's official numbers.  But would Apple reopen all its stores in China AND in Wuhan if people are dropping dead?   Why is the US supply chain saying that Chinese factories are returning to a semblance of normal staffing?  what's their incentive to hide the numbers and lie?

In China you are trying to apply Western standards where they do not exist.  Why would Apple reopen stores in China and in Wuhan?  To make things look normal to the West and behind the scenes I would bet that it was a lot more than a simple request.  Why does staffing in China appear to be heading back to normal?  China has 4 times the labor pool to man its industries.  It most likely pulled labor from areas that had a minimal problem.  Many provinces are overmanned with peasant farmers so government would not mind addressing that problem with some relocating.  This assumes that there is honesty in disclosure on all fronts China and USA.  What is China's incentive to lie?  Read up on the Cold War and the rise of communism after the Second World War.  Just like many of us here do not want to admit that we are wrong on certain matters you have people around the globe who feel the same way about their politics.  Further, I feel the US is vilified in part due to its alliance with Japan.  Read up on that history.  Japan was brutal on China during WWII and Japan has had an immense fear of Chinese invasion going back nearly 1000 years.  The term Kamikaze means divine wind which is a reference to an event where the Japanese mainland was spared an invasion by China because the seas disrupted said invasion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8132187/Man-34-survived-cancer-dies-days-catching-coronavirus-following-trip-Disney-World.html?ito=push-notification&ci=10857&si=3155052

Man, 34, who survived cancer dies days after catching coronavirus following trip to Disney World

• Jeffrey Ghazarian, 34, died at a hospital in Pasadena, California, on Thursday morning
  • He had been hooked up to a ventilator for five days after testing positive for COVID-19 on March 13 
  • Ghazarian's family said he began showing symptoms on March 7 after visiting  Walt Disney World in Orlando 
  • In addition to COVID-19 he was diagnosed with pneumonia which blocked his lungs up to 70 percent
  • Ghazarian appeared to be at higher risk of coronavirus complications because he suffered from asthma and bronchitis as a child and had beaten testicular cancer in 2016 
  • The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US climbed to 11,325 on Thursday, including 165 deaths 
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

By MEGAN SHEETS FOR DAILYMAIL.COM 

PUBLISHED: 16:07 EDT, 19 March 2020 | UPDATED: 17:16 EDT, 19 March 2020

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
19kshares

View comments

Jeffrey Ghazarian, 34, died on Thursday morning, days after testing positive for COVID-19

+15
  •  

Jeffrey Ghazarian, 34, died on Thursday morning, days after testing positive for COVID-19

A 34-year-old California man has died days after testing positive for COVID-19, marking one of the youngest known fatalities for the deadly strain gripping the nation. 

Jeffrey Ghazarian, of Glendora, passed away on Thursday morning at a hospital in Pasadena, where he'd been hooked up for a ventilator and fighting for his life for the past five days. 

While the coronavirus fatality rate is relatively low among most people Ghazarian's age, he appeared to have been at higher risk because of his history of asthma and bronchitis as a child, and the fact that he beat testicular cancer back in 2016.  

44 minutes ago, GG said:

I wouldn't say regression. Today at Washington State is 1.376 yesterday was 1,187.  Still too early to say up or down IMO. 

Lots of people call it the flu but much different. A friend of mine got confused by it. I said cornavirus has dry cough, fever and short of breath, , breathing  difficulties. The runny nose or sneezing is rare. The cold much more upper lungs this one lower in the ace 2. Plus comes from other family of rna coronavirus.  Covid19 or Sars-COV-2 what I should call it as well. 

36 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

In China you are trying to apply Western standards where they do not exist.  Why would Apple reopen stores in China and in Wuhan?  To make things look normal to the West and behind the scenes I would bet that it was a lot more than a simple request.  Why does staffing in China appear to be heading back to normal?  China has 4 times the labor pool to man its industries.  It most likely pulled labor from areas that had a minimal problem.  Many provinces are overmanned with peasant farmers so government would not mind addressing that problem with some relocating.  This assumes that there is honesty in disclosure on all fronts China and USA.  What is China's incentive to lie?  Read up on the Cold War and the rise of communism after the Second World War.  Just like many of us here do not want to admit that we are wrong on certain matters you have people around the globe who feel the same way about their politics.  Further, I feel the US is vilified in part due to its alliance with Japan.  Read up on that history.  Japan was brutal on China during WWII and Japan has had an immense fear of Chinese invasion going back nearly 1000 years.  The term Kamikaze means divine wind which is a reference to an event where the Japanese mainland was spared an invasion by China because the seas disrupted said invasion.

Are you seriously insinuating that Apple and other US companies are reopening their Chinese facilities in order to make it look like things are returning to normal, when in reality they are not?  Are you saying that Apple doesn't care that Chinese people are being sacrificed for the appearance of normalcy?

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I wouldn't say regression. Today at Washington State is 1.376 yesterday was 1,187.  Still too early to say up or down IMO. 

Regression as in the rate of growth.   That's step one.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

The president of my company just notified everyone of this today. I'm luckily one of the essential few. The faces on everyone else was tough to say the least. Our owner is a great man who is going to pay full wage and benefits for 30 days to everyone not working, but everyone's face dropped when "30 days" and not indefinitely was said. Everyone thought they were protected. We aren't in the most at risk businesses. We are paid by the DOJ and the SEC. It was a tough day.

LAMP time. I'm not rich. Lived in a shithole for the last ~12 years while I paid extra to eliminate my student loans and all other debt. I'm now doing well and live in a much nicer place. I plan on giving all of any stimulus I receive to the girls at my local watering hole to help them through. I'm a regular. I have no family nearby and they know that and always tell me I'm welcome in their homes on holidays and such if I need a place to go. The kindness is amazing. They go above and beyond for me and think nothing of it.

I want to do the same for them now. I can afford it. They may not be able to. I'm not one to tell anyone else what to do with their money. Usually the exact opposite. I just hope people with the means remember the people who give nothing but kindness while asking for nothing in return who could use help in these tough times.

Edited by LB3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/who-warns-some-children-develop-severe-disease-and-critical-disease-from-coronavirus.html

The World Health Organization said parents need to prepare their kids to guard against COVID-19 after a new study showed that babies and very young children can sometimes develop severe symptoms.

A recent study showed that a number of children in China have developed severe or critical disease and one child has died, said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, at a news conference on Wednesday. “What we need to prepare for is the possibility that children can also experience severe disease.”

The new study, which was published online in the journal Pediatrics, looked at 2,143 cases of children with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 that were reported to the Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention between Jan. 16 and Feb. 8. More than 90% of the cases were asymptomatic, mild or moderate cases. However, nearly 6% of the children’s cases were severe or critical, compared with 18.5% for adults.

This is awful :( 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is odd. I, for the most part, dislike people and consider myself a misanthrope. The first few days on lockdown I was itching to get out. I was going a little stir crazy. (Most unlike me.) Now, on day five, I am back to feeling myself and not caring about going out into the wild. ?‍♀️

Seeing as how I dislike most people, I have no issues with distancing. What I do worry about is the survival of the small business I work for.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, LB3 said:

The president of my company just notified everyone of this today. I'm luckily one of the essential few. The faces on everyone else was tough to say the least. Our owner is a great man who is going to pay full wage and benefits for 30 days to everyone not working, but everyone's face dropped when "30 days" and not indefinitely was said. Everyone thought they were protected. We aren't in the most at risk businesses. We are paid by the DOJ and the SEC. It was a tough day.

LAMP time. I'm not rich. Lived in a shithole for the last ~12 years while I paid extra to eliminate my student loans and all other debt. I'm now doing well and live in a much nicer place. I plan on giving all of any stimulus I receive to the girls at my local watering hole to help them through. I'm a regular. I have no family nearby and they know that and always tell me I'm welcome in their homes on holidays and such if I need a place to go. The kindness is amazing. They go above and beyond for me and think nothing of it.

I want to do the same for them now. I can afford it. They may not be able to. I'm not one to tell anyone else what to do with their money. Usually the exact opposite. I just hope people with the means remember the people who give nothing but kindness while asking for nothing in return who could use help in these tough times.

you gonna bang any of them ? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Are you seriously insinuating that Apple and other US companies are reopening their Chinese facilities in order to make it look like things are returning to normal, when in reality they are not?  Are you saying that Apple doesn't care that Chinese people are being sacrificed for the appearance of normalcy?

Regression as in the rate of growth.   That's step one.

It could be US companies or it could be the Chinese government.  Apple does have a vested interest to make sure their stocks and other assets do not crater workers be darned.  The longer the problem lingers the more consumer confidence could be shaken.  It could take decades for the Dow to recover to its pre-virus high.  A lot of executives are literally banking on the market being at the highs it most recently was at to live the lavish life that they have known.  Human history is filled with examples of people stepping over the bodies of other people in the name of wealth.  We are not even 100 years past some serious abuses of the environment and people here in the US to produce wealth.  What is actually going on over there is limited to guessing but I am definitely not going to rule out the possibility of people acting at their worst to gain wealth.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Has anyone heard the rumor about a National Shelter in Place coming over the weekend?

Have not heard of a shelter in place order.  Did hear theh are mobilizing the guard in an effort to significantly affect people's movements.  I guess that sounds like a shelter in place order.  How strict it gets I don't know.  I'm told the guard is being deployed for 7 days with orders to pack for 30.  

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Has anyone heard the rumor about a National Shelter in Place coming over the weekend?

It's overdue, along with shutting down all modes of public transport.  If we're gonna do this, we need to go full out for a brief time rather than do what we're doing now for months on end.

• Like (+1) 1