The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is out there. There is NO containing it.  When the Chinese were not forthcoming, and the whole world did not close their borders to China, the world was *****. 

That doesn't excuse our slow response to it.  Several other Asian countries have shown how it should've been tackled because of their experience with SARs.  It's all about what to do going forward now.  We differ on the responses.  I hope you come out of your self-quarantine fine.  Stay safe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

What is the point you are trying to make by displaying these numbers?  You aren't still beating the drum for 'no big deal' and 'total overreaction' due to current death numbers, are you?

If so, you did something similar a week or so ago....but with much smaller Covid-19 numbers.  Do you see that these numbers are growing rapidly?  Let me repeat, this outbreak is just beginning here.  When we look back on this in a couple of years, I think the final numbers will be tragically high.  But, I hope I am wrong...honestly I do.   Time will tell.

Bob, if I know anyone with a disease caused by the coronavirus, will pot treat it?

***** off with your stoner bull####.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It shouldn't have.  It was obviously happening in China, as a matter of casual contact (as opposed to close or intimate).  A realistic appraisal of the administration's actions would be that they dithered for as much as four weeks on a casual assumption that p2p transmission wouldn't occur here. 

I don't even think that was an explicit assumption, just a matter of context.  But it was still a bad assumption.

Imagine if it were treatable by toilet paper...

i'll do my daily run through 6 grocery stores within a mile from home and see what i can glean that is currently more priceless than diamonds

Just now, TPS said:

That doesn't excuse our slow response to it.  Several other Asian countries have shown how it should've been tackled because of their experience with SARs.  It's all about what to do going forward now.  We differ on the responses.  I hope you come out of your self-quarantine fine.  Stay safe.

Wait...you mean they had the epidemiological and public health systems in place because this has happened to them before??????  :wallbash:

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, TPS said:

yup, America sucks, everything it does is evil and horrible....

too bad we weren't all living in a Communist Utopia...

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Wait...you mean they had the epidemiological and public health systems in place because this has happened to them before??????  :wallbash:

I'm sure you've read the pieces on this tom. It's how they responded to keep it from getting out of control.  Good luck you and yours.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Do we need to wait until it happens to prepare our public health systems?  Pretty sure the plan here has been "well that kinda ***** doesn't happen in America".

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  I wonder how many more US cases there would've been if Trump didn't close the border to China when he did?

…….back open for business...…….

China relaxes travel restrictions in coronavirus-hit Wuhan, shifts concern to international travelers

By Travis Fedschun | Fox News

As Europe and the U.S. hunker down at home and stock up on supplies as coronavirus cases surge, officials in China began to ease travel restrictions on Monday in the country's epicenter of the deadly outbreak that's since spread globally.

The official Xinhua News Agency reported Monday that cities just outside the epicenter of Wuhan in the hardest-hit virus province of Hubei were chartering buses to send people who had returned home for the Lunar New Year in late January back to work.

As Americans, I wish we could show more unity and grace in times like these - instead of this condescending/you are dumb and stupid attitude towards people with different viewpoints and opinions.

There are lots of people that are very concerned about this virus, and are worried about the death-toll it could take on the (especially elderly population) if steps aren't taken to slow-down the spread.  Health officials are the ones making these shut-down recommendations across the country.  Maybe they are looking at worse-case scenario.  But maybe that's not the wrong approach to take when it comes to people's lives.

At the same time, there are lots of people who are very concerned about how 8 weeks (maybe longer) of completely shutting down the country is going to devastate the economy/business owners/jobs/etc.  It's not about the inconvenience of losing the NBA playoffs or being stuck inside their homes with nothing to do but binge Netflix.  The long-term financial effects of this will likely be terrible on millions of families.

Furthermore, I wish we could just stop the political attacks.  For just a few weeks.  Please.  

I believe one of the main reasons (some) conservatives are taking this virus less seriously, is because the Democrats couldn't even wait 5 minutes before using it as ammo to attack the President.  It's absolutely pathetic and an absolute disgrace.  This virus is not ANY politicians fault, and it's clear that government officials are trying their best to protect citizens.  Even if we disagree on how quickly response times should be, or what methods are being used to keep people quarantined.  This is a situation that nobody could have been prepared for.  On the other side of the aisle, Trump himself needs to stop using every news conference as an opportunity to bash the Obama's response to H1N1.  Or why some of the above problems were due to the last administration.  The blame game needs to STOP NOW.  It's time for us to unify and move forward.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, TPS said:

"Our" slow response is not  limited to the POTUS as some here would claim.  Many people of varying political affiliations no doubt took the attitude of "it's over there" and isolation measures are way too premature for the time being.  Also, countries such as South Korea have to perpetually deal with nations such as China and North Korea keeping secrets in regards to many things including pandemics.  Let's not confuse regional paranoia with farsightedness.  Blaming Trump at every step of this event is just playing lightning rod politics.  The trouble is after the upteenth time people will just ignore it to the displeasure of some.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

"Our" slow response is not  limited to the POTUS as some here would claim.  Many people of varying political affiliations no doubt took the attitude of "it's over there" and isolation measures are way too premature for the time being.  Also, countries such as South Korea have to perpetually deal with nations such as China and North Korea keeping secrets in regards to many things including pandemics.  Let's not confuse regional paranoia with farsightedness.  Blaming Trump at every step of this event is just playing lightning rod politics.  The trouble is after the upteenth time people will just ignore it to the displeasure of some.  

Yeah, sure. But Trump is more concerned about the stock market than he is about doing something, anything to find a cure for this public health crisis where so many hundreds of thousands of Americans have already died, and many millions more are going to die. More even than the one hundred fifty millions who have died from guns since 2010 according to Early Stage Joe. In fact every person that is alive today will die... someday. 

• Haha (+1) 1

…"live" testing has begun...………...

Coronavirus vaccine test opens as US volunteer gets 1st shot

By LAURAN NEERGAARD and CARLA K. JOHNSON, AP Medical Writers 18 mins ago

SEATTLE (AP) — U.S. researchers gave the first shot to the first person in a test of an experimental coronavirus vaccine Monday -- leading off a worldwide hunt for protection even as the pandemic surges.

With a careful jab in a healthy volunteer’s arm, scientists at the Kaiser Permanente Washington Research Institute in Seattle begin an anxiously awaited first-stage study of a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed in record time after the new virus exploded from China and fanned across the globe. 

“We’re team coronavirus now,” Kaiser Permanente study leader Dr. Lisa Jackson said on the eve of the experiment. “Everyone wants to do what they can in this emergency.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-vaccine-test-opens-as-us-volunteer-gets-1st-shot/ar-BB11gCN6?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Also, from people on the inside of the administration, a four day federal lockout is being considered. Confining everyone to their homes for four days. This is not approved or confirmed to be their pick, but it's being debated right now.

For filers with a return - those will probably be delayed the same amount of time.  Just a guess, but that's what I'd expect.

• Like (+1) 2