The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

You know any other tunes, or are you just a one trick pony?

TPS is the little demon imp on your shoulder whispering that the worst is just around the corner

clever little comments no matter what happens....

ignored

26 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

No, I was replying to the issue of the differences between Dem and Repub expectations on the future path of this outbreak.  I think the reason they differ so much is due to the information sources used by each group.  Denying reality worked for a long time for Trump and for Fox viewers and they won't turn away from those sources so quickly in spite of the unfolding facts.

"Reality" for Democrats is relative and ALWAYS involves hyperbolic, worst case scenario, language and projections. People are relegated to two classes: either you are being victimized or you are victimizing others, and the end of civilization is always right around the corner...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

As you have told me before, if you don't like to read someone's posts, that is on you to put them on ignore. 

I put stupidity on ignore, but I'll question misinformation and challenge those who need to always, always, always blame someone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The point? The hype and hysteria are ***** stupid. That is the point.

Been three weeks since I stocked up on non-perishables (yes, including toilet paper).  Told my wife "No, I'm not panicking.  This is prudence, because in about two weeks everyone else is going to panic."

Also told my boss last week (Monday) that I would be full-time remote starting last Thursday, because I have a sister-in-law with COPD living with us, who I don't want to risk exposing to COVID.  Not panic, prudence - I'm in close contact with a high-risk individual.  Also, since last Monday, me, my wife, and my SIL have been taking our temperatures twice daily.  Again, prudence, not panic.

Also had to go out this morning.  Wore bright green nitrile gloves from my workshop...less as a barrier against fomites than to make myself hyper-aware of what surfaces I touched, and what risks I might be encountering.  Again, prudence. 

It's actually a pretty simple set of actions that keep my sister-in-law relatively safe, if you have half a brain.  Clearly, most people don't.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Been three weeks since I stocked up on non-perishables (yes, including toilet paper).  Told my wife "No, I'm not panicking.  This is prudence, because in about two weeks everyone else is going to panic."

Also told my boss last week (Monday) that I would be full-time remote starting last Thursday, because I have a sister-in-law with COPD living with us, who I don't want to risk exposing to COVID.  Not panic, prudence - I'm in close contact with a high-risk individual.  Also, since last Monday, me, my wife, and my SIL have been taking our temperatures twice daily.  Again, prudence, not panic.

Also had to go out this morning.  Wore bright green nitrile gloves from my workshop...less as a barrier against fomites than to make myself hyper-aware of what surfaces I touched, and what risks I might be encountering.  Again, prudence. 

It's actually a pretty simple set of actions that keep my sister-in-law relatively safe, if you have half a brain.  Clearly, most people don't.

thank you for your sane guidance, it was missed...

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

For someone who was just in Spain, I would think you'd be a little more aware of how quickly this is spreading.

I wonder how many cases there would've been if China did not quarantine a city of 10 million?  Or Italy shut down its country?  If we simply let this play out like a flu, do you know how many people would die? 

Did you hear Fauci on TV yesterday?  Vs Trump who was so giddy about the Fed cutting interest rates?  He really is not fit to lead on this thing because he is such a narcissist. Great guy to go against the deep state, but not a virus... 

It is out there. There is NO containing it.  When the Chinese were not forthcoming, and the whole world did not close their borders to China, the world was *****. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You're an idiot.  ***** off.

Still miss me?

I'm the biggest idiot that i know

thought you'd be back to guide us in this panic

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is out there. There is NO containing it.  When the Chinese were not forthcoming, and the whole world did not close their borders to China, the world was *****. 

it has been around in every major city since mid-January at the latest

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yup.  I wonder how many more US cases there would've been if Trump didn't close the border to China when he did?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is out there. There is NO containing it. 

Key point, too.  Eventually, this infects everyone.  The current isolation and quarantine directives will slow, but not stop, it.  They're really designed to not overload critical care settings with the dying all at once.

All my prudence isn't intended to keep my SIL from getting ill, but to hopefully delay it long enough that treatment or a vaccine is developed to protect her.  I'm...honestly not optimistic about that.

• Like (+1) 1

Read this interesting tidbit today, whether it's true or not it's still interesting

The Great cover up of 2020:

Yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m., Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was served a criminal indictment by the U.S. for corporate and financial crimes. Media owners were instructed to brainwash everyone that Trudeau and his wife have the Corona virus, and that they won't be leaving their house for a while.

Tom Hanks was arrested a little over 48 hours ago for pedophilia and he is currently being kept in a hotel room in Australia, refusing to fly back to the USA. The next celebrity arrests will be Celine Dion, Madonna, Charles Barkley, and Kevin Spacey. All will claim Corona virus infections.

Italy's airports have been completely shut down, as over 80 Vatican and financial officials have been served the same criminal indictments for financial crime, pedophilia, child trafficking, and sex abuse.

United Emirates have completed mass arrests of their own Royal Family and affiliates.

Convicted Hollywood rapist Harvey Weinstein agreed to a deal in exchange for his testimony against hundreds of top Hollywood celebrities and their involvement in the drug business, pedophilia, and child trafficking. Instead of a 55-year sentence, he only received a 23-year sentence. In exchange he provided testimonies against some of the biggest and most powerful names, including Prince Andrew of the U.K., former president Bill Clinton, former vice president Joe Biden, Tom Hanks, Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres, Quentin Tarantino, Charlie Sheen, Bob Saget, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Steven Spielberg, Podesta, NXIVM and PIZZAGATE sex trafficking clubs, and hundreds more who all were directly involved with Jeffrey Epstein.

Jeffrey Epstein was similarly allowed to make a deal and have his suicide in prison faked in exchange for his testimony
CEOs of some major world corporations have been indicted/arrested, and some have been forced to resign — all in the last 30-60 days — such as the CEOs of the NBA, Harley Davidson, the Bill Gates Foundation, Intel, McDonald's, Cesar Awards, and Disney; the Vatican Chief of Police; etc. Approximately 700-800 more resignations are coming in the next 3 months.

The lab-created Coronavirus was a cover-up for the mass mandatory vaccination agenda. Now it has become the biggest covert U.S. Intelligence operation that the world has ever seen. This mass 158,000-arrests operation will remove and capture the biggest evil and corrupted politicians, celebrities, and CEOs, including global elites and bankers such as George Soros, U.N. officials, and the founders of GRETA, inc.

President Trump will win the 2020 elections, and arrests of former U.S. presidents will occur in early 2021. All major arrests will be portrayed by the media as accidental or as conspiracy theories. All arrested individuals will be given "Rommel Death", meaning that they will have a choice between their death bring portrayed to the public as a suicide or an accidental death in return for assurances that his or her reputation will remain intact, or, alternatively, they can choose to face a criminal trial that would result in public disgrace.

Some top religious leaders will be arrested or forced to resign, and some will suddenly get "sick." The Vatican will be the first, and the Pope will be removed in 2020. Production of human extracted Adrenochrome will be revealed, and Hollywood and the Vatican will be exposed as being directly responsible for that.

Coming up there will be a 2-month complete shutdown of the world's most common operations, such as schools, the stock exchange, some banks, airports, shipping, travel, events, galas, expos, sport games, sport championships, music award ceremonies, NBA/NHL/Baseball games, and ship cruises. There will be food shortages and staged electricity power loss. Gas prices will go down, food costs will go up, insurance will go up, gold and silver stocks will fall, and many corporations will either go bankrupt or take a significant financial loss, such as in the case of what's about to happen to Air Canada, Disney, and Coca-Cola.

Welcome to the Geat Awakening. What's about to happen this summer and fall will change the world's timeline.

All the world's a stage. 

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I said to my mother yesterday that I completely agree with the nursing homes being shut off to visitors (even though I know how horrible that will be for residents). I also see the value in shutting down Senior Centers.

My mother's response? "We all gotta die of something."

Now, I did go on to explain to her that this is not the thing you want to die of. Gasping for air is no way to go. She, like me,  does not fear death and only wants it to be quick and painless.

If I had a relative with COPD I would do what you are doing. Even though there was no hair on fire over the coronovirus when we returned to the US in February, I did not want to visit my father in the nursing home. Prudence, practiced for those most susceptible, is understandable.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

Yup.  I wonder how many more US cases there would've been if Trump didn't close the border to China when he did?

Important to remember: we've had cases in the US since about six weeks ago.

But we've only had person-to-person transmission in the US for about two weeks.  Until then, they thought they had it contained, like Ebola or SARS.

27 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

That is what I thought.  I think, with all due respect, you are not properly processing the unfolding facts.  Certainly no need to fight over food, water, or TP, but the social restrictions are not being overdone, imo. 

The idea of flattening the curve is very sensible.  In a given locale, if the hospital's capabilities are overrun with more dying patients than they can care for, death rates will far exceed a few percent. 

My husband is of the same thought as you, flattening the curve. Needless to say, I disagree with him, and disagree with you.

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

Read this interesting tidbit today, whether it's true or not it's still interesting

The Great cover up of 2020:

Yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m., Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was served a criminal indictment by the U.S. for corporate and financial crimes. Media owners were instructed to brainwash everyone that Trudeau and his wife have the Corona virus, and that they won't be leaving their house for a while.

Tom Hanks was arrested a little over 48 hours ago for pedophilia and he is currently being kept in a hotel room in Australia, refusing to fly back to the USA. The next celebrity arrests will be Celine Dion, Madonna, Charles Barkley, and Kevin Spacey. All will claim Corona virus infections.

Italy's airports have been completely shut down, as over 80 Vatican and financial officials have been served the same criminal indictments for financial crime, pedophilia, child trafficking, and sex abuse.

United Emirates have completed mass arrests of their own Royal Family and affiliates.

Convicted Hollywood rapist Harvey Weinstein agreed to a deal in exchange for his testimony against hundreds of top Hollywood celebrities and their involvement in the drug business, pedophilia, and child trafficking. Instead of a 55-year sentence, he only received a 23-year sentence. In exchange he provided testimonies against some of the biggest and most powerful names, including Prince Andrew of the U.K., former president Bill Clinton, former vice president Joe Biden, Tom Hanks, Oprah, Ellen DeGeneres, Quentin Tarantino, Charlie Sheen, Bob Saget, Kevin Spacey, John Travolta, Steven Spielberg, Podesta, NXIVM and PIZZAGATE sex trafficking clubs, and hundreds more who all were directly involved with Jeffrey Epstein.

Jeffrey Epstein was similarly allowed to make a deal and have his suicide in prison faked in exchange for his testimony
CEOs of some major world corporations have been indicted/arrested, and some have been forced to resign — all in the last 30-60 days — such as the CEOs of the NBA, Harley Davidson, the Bill Gates Foundation, Intel, McDonald's, Cesar Awards, and Disney; the Vatican Chief of Police; etc. Approximately 700-800 more resignations are coming in the next 3 months.

The lab-created Coronavirus was a cover-up for the mass mandatory vaccination agenda. Now it has become the biggest covert U.S. Intelligence operation that the world has ever seen. This mass 158,000-arrests operation will remove and capture the biggest evil and corrupted politicians, celebrities, and CEOs, including global elites and bankers such as George Soros, U.N. officials, and the founders of GRETA, inc.

President Trump will win the 2020 elections, and arrests of former U.S. presidents will occur in early 2021. All major arrests will be portrayed by the media as accidental or as conspiracy theories. All arrested individuals will be given "Rommel Death", meaning that they will have a choice between their death bring portrayed to the public as a suicide or an accidental death in return for assurances that his or her reputation will remain intact, or, alternatively, they can choose to face a criminal trial that would result in public disgrace.

Some top religious leaders will be arrested or forced to resign, and some will suddenly get "sick." The Vatican will be the first, and the Pope will be removed in 2020. Production of human extracted Adrenochrome will be revealed, and Hollywood and the Vatican will be exposed as being directly responsible for that.

Coming up there will be a 2-month complete shutdown of the world's most common operations, such as schools, the stock exchange, some banks, airports, shipping, travel, events, galas, expos, sport games, sport championships, music award ceremonies, NBA/NHL/Baseball games, and ship cruises. There will be food shortages and staged electricity power loss. Gas prices will go down, food costs will go up, insurance will go up, gold and silver stocks will fall, and many corporations will either go bankrupt or take a significant financial loss, such as in the case of what's about to happen to Air Canada, Disney, and Coca-Cola.

Welcome to the Geat Awakening. What's about to happen this summer and fall will change the world's timeline.

All the world's a stage. 

Fake news.  Trudeau not only had the coronavirus, he died from it.  The current "Trudeau" is a deep-state clone, by the same people that cloned Ginsburg.

Get your ***** together, man.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Important to remember: we've had cases in the US since about six weeks ago.

But we've only had person-to-person transmission in the US for about two weeks.  Until then, they thought they had it contained, like Ebola or SARS.

Yup.  The p2p thing threw us for a loop.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Fake news.  Trudeau not only had the coronavirus, he died from it.  The current "Trudeau" is a deep-state clone, by the same people that cloned Ginsburg.

Get your ***** together, man.

could use his father's brain and insouciance right now....  :(

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I said to my mother yesterday that I completely agree with the nursing homes being shut off to visitors (even though I know how horrible that will be for residents). I also see the value in shutting down Senior Centers.

My mother's response? "We all gotta die of something."

Now, I did go on to explain to her that this is not the thing you want to die of. Gasping for air is no way to go. She, like me,  does not fear death and only wants it to be quick and painless.

If I had a relative with COPD I would do what you are doing. Even though there was no hair on fire over the coronovirus when we returned to the US in February, I did not want to visit my father in the nursing home. Prudence, practiced for those most susceptible, is understandable.

Boomers have a different view of infectious disease than the rest of the country - they're the last ones to grow up with it, before widespread use of antibiotics and vaccinations.  Our parents' attitudes like that are understandable, at least. 

Conversely, millennials and late Gen-Xers are the first generation to grow up with no concept of infectious disease.  Their attitudes towards this are understandable as well.

They're both stupid, of course.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  The p2p thing threw us for a loop.

It shouldn't have.  It was obviously happening in China, as a matter of casual contact (as opposed to close or intimate).  A realistic appraisal of the administration's actions would be that they dithered for as much as four weeks on a casual assumption that p2p transmission wouldn't occur here. 

I don't even think that was an explicit assumption, just a matter of context.  But it was still a bad assumption.

Just now, row_33 said:

imagine this was treatable by antibiotics and the mass panic that would induce

Imagine if it were treatable by toilet paper...