The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Why does this have to be political?

Fact is that half of this country couldn't give two shyts about politics. They just wanna know what is going to be done about this.

And just for the record, nothing short of closing the borders at all angles was ever going to prevent this virus from not getting here.

Point is, if you wanna blame someone for the spreading of this virus, put it squarely where it belongs and to whom the blame ONLY  belongs................

CHINA.

Trump has egg on his face for publicly downplaying the threat for the past month (probably in an effort to protect the stock market). 

That said you are correct. This is a global problem and it was going to be nearly impossible for any administration to curtail this. Politically this is great for the dems, but it’s too big of an issue for them to create a roadblock.

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

It's incredible, although I've watched people who dismissed it two days ago start to realize the gravity of this situation in real time and I can't help but feel bad for them. As if any of us live in a community that can support even hundreds needing ventilation at the same time. Intubation? Better cap that at, what, a dozen at any given time in an urban hospital? Keep in mind that "mild" is considered anything below hospitalization. Roughly 15-18% will need hospitalization. Again, do the math.

Sadly some of those that are dismissing it are likely those that really need to take this seriously (ie. old, considering I've seen references to grandkids). I sincerely hope some of you wake up and realize that constantly attempting to prove popular opinion wrong is a dumb goal that ultimately makes you look like an insecure moron. You're not being lied to. You need to wash your ***** hands and avoid crowds.

Sorry, this whole thing is overblown.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Commsvet11 said:

Sorry, this whole thing is overblown.

Would love to agree with you, but facts say otherwise. It's certainly not overblown in Italy, and we're about 10 days away at the current trend. 

"Oh but the flu killed..."

Oh but this just started.

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Would love to agree with you, but facts say otherwise. It's certainly not overblown in Italy, and we're about 10 days away at the current trend. 

Do you test for for any flu strand  on a daily basis? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nelius said:

here's information for the "flu" comparisons

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-10-times-more-lethal-162500056.html

Coronavirus is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu, Trump's task force immunologist says

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told lawmakers during a House Oversight Committee hearing Wednesday that COVID-19 — the disease caused by the novel coronavirus — is probably about 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.

President Trump has often compared COVID-19 to the flu, which affects tens of thousands of Americans each year, in an effort to calm people down, but Fauci clearly wasn't trying to downplay the seriousness of the virus' spread. Fauci is a member of the White House's coronavirus task force.

Edited by ~Kostabi~
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Commsvet11 said:

I actually do the testing for Flu strands everyday. When I say it’s overblown, you may want to listen.

Yeah, no sorry, that's not really how this works. For all you know I'm an infectious disease expert...so you should listen to me.

In reality however I'm not going to get my infectious disease advice from anybody on a Buffalo Bills message board. Maaaaaybe if Bud Carpenter had an account. Are you also Bud Carpenter?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Thank you. This is an apolitical, Trump-praised dude that works with Trump, so we should all be able to come together now and agree that this is at least 10x worse than the flu, and we should all wash our ***** hands and avoid crowds.

12 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah, no sorry, that's not really how this works. For all you know I'm an infectious disease expert...so you should listen to me.

In reality however I'm not going to get my infectious disease advice from anybody on a Buffalo Bills message board. Maaaaaybe if Bud Carpenter had an account. Are you also Bud Carpenter?

Is that hard to believe a Medical Lab Scientist is on a message board?  

I can tell your not in medical field because you actually think the medical field isn’t political. That’s adorable.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Is that hard to believe a Medical Lab Scientist is on a message board?  

I can tell your not in medical field because you actually think the medical field isn’t political. That’s adorable.

It's not personal, I just have no idea who you are, and experts that I've been listening to for weeks now disagree. All real, nonpolitical information that I've been tracking since January, including the awesome and highly recommended John Hopkins tracker site, has shown an incredible rate of infection. That's real - if you're 6-8 feet away from a person with this disease you can catch it. That's insanely concerning. I don't care if the death rate is 0.01%. If 50-70% of the population catches it it's an unprecedented ordeal that none of us have seen in our lifetimes. Except the case fatality rate for this virus is about 3% (6% in Italy, oddly), so why not take this seriously? I'm in Colorado where it has jumped from 8 cases to nearly 40 in about 48 hours, so this is clearly spreading. We've confirmed community spread here. Confirmed community spread of a virus 10x more lethal than the flu? Of course that's concerning. 

Looking back through this thread though it seems this had a political slant from the start and is not really intended for real conversation about this disease, so I apologize for plugging up the party. So sorry, so sars. Still hope you all wash your hands and consider saying no to the next Goo Goo Dolls concert though.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Nelius said:

It's not personal, I just have no idea who you are, and experts that I've been listening to for weeks now disagree. All real, nonpolitical information that I've been tracking since January, including the awesome and highly recommended John Hopkins tracker site, has shown an incredible rate of infection. That's real - if you're 6-8 feet away from a person with this disease you can catch it. That's insanely concerning. I don't care if the death rate is 0.01%. If 50-70% of the population catches it it's an unprecedented ordeal that none of us have seen in our lifetimes. Except the case fatality rate for this virus is about 3% (6% in Italy, oddly), so why not take this seriously? I'm in Colorado where it has jumped from 8 cases to nearly 40 in about 48 hours, so this is clearly spreading. We've confirmed community spread here. Confirmed community spread of a virus 10x more lethal than the flu? Of course that's concerning. 

Looking back through this thread though it seems this had a political slant from the start and is not really intended for real conversation about this disease, so I apologize for plugging up the party. So sorry, so sars. Still hope you all wash your hands and consider saying no to the next Goo Goo Dolls concert though.

I don’t take it seriously because there is a 90% and up recovery rate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ALF said:

Travel ban from Europe , hope Buffalo Gal makes it back from Spain before it takes effect. 

Thanks, but the ban does not apply to American citizens (yet).  I expect we will be self-quarantined when we head back home in a few weeks.

</snip>

The countries affected include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The restrictions do not apply to American residents or to travel from the UK. Most immediate family members of US citizens are exempt.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

A response team led by a man who saw an HIV infection spread so he could first pray about the idea of safe needle exchange, which has only been proven to work time and time again. You're utterly insane if you don't think Trump was completely blindsided by all of this. He's admitted as much! He said the entire world was blindsided, which is actual horseshit. 

Get over yourself.  

From what I read here it seems that republicans believed what Trump said: Covid is not a problem in the USA, it is only a problem in Europe due to European mismanagent,  so the solution is just to shut down flights from Europe.

Who says that the government is wrong is addressed as "democrat", and his/her criticism is considered a free attack to the President and not based on scientific evidence.

Let me say something, in Italy was the opposite, because the "left" wing is in charge.

So the right wing was asking stronger measures and the "left wing party" was  addressing them as people who want to make free criticism to the government and exploit the situation to rise their status among the citizens.

Now the reality is that who is in charge does not want to stop a country, does not want stop the economy, people in charge don't want to take unpopular decisions for something "little more than a flu". They prefer to say that the covid is a problem "elsewhere", in Italy we said that the problem was only in China, Germany is saying that the problem is only in Italy, USA is saying that the problem is only in Europe.

Until the hospitals will begin to be full of people that need machines to be able to breath.

It happened in China, it is happening here in Italy, it will happen in France, Germany, and USA.

And forgive my english, sometimes is not so easy writing in a foreign language.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

300+ new cases today. Wasn't somebody that we all know crowing about only 15 cases or so just a week ago? Look, you don't need to panic, but you really should start taking this seriously. Do the math, man. A time when a real infectious disease is just starting to run rampant is not really a time to scream about past infectious disease scares. If anything, you'd think we would have learned something with all of that training instead of gutting the CDC...

There's a difference from taking things seriously and flipping the heck out over it. For instance, because of how people get in these situations and the possible ramifications due to the media induced panic, I did some extra food shopping and whatnot. Just in case they basically try to quarantine everyone like they are doing in Italy. I will always prepare to make sure me and my family are taken care of. I'm not going to go out and buy 20 cases of TP, 30 cases of water, and 100 bottles of hand sanitizer though. The fact of the matter is the demographic this is affecting more so than others, older people and those with existing medical conditions which cause worse ramifications. The death rate at this point pales in comparison to other "panic-demics" they have pushed on us in recent years. I'm not saying the virus itself is a hoax, but I do believe that the national media is nothing more than a bunch of propaganda based fearmongers. I have further thoughts on the situation as to the reasons why things are the way they are, but I will keep them to myself at this current point in time. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hedge said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBC news reporting on the travel ban. Paraphrased:

”People are questioning why it does not extend to UK or Ireland.  Some believe it’s because Trump has resorts in Ireland, and that it’s a reward to the UK for exiting the European Union, something that Trump supported.”

I keep thinking there are limits to how incredibly disingenuous and dangerous these people are, and am constantly surprised at how there are no limits at all.  

• Like (+1) 11

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

A response team led by a man who saw an HIV infection spread so he could first pray about the idea of safe needle exchange, which has only been proven to work time and time again. You're utterly insane if you don't think Trump was completely blindsided by all of this. He's admitted as much! He said the entire world was blindsided, which is actual horseshit. 

You are not being very truthful here. Pence overrode Indiana law in order to allow for the needle exchange. Injecting rumors, innuendo and NYT's opinions about something 5 years ago into today's crisis smacks purely of political bias. We all know that the coronavirus is a crisis and we were all in a way blindsided by it. Action was taken quickly here in the U.S. as far as restricting entry and we are now extending those restrictions to Europe, mainly due to their lack of stringent rules or response there. Who here has disagreed with the good practices needed to attempt to avoid the virus and limit its spread? I'm sure we are in agreement regarding that. What I don't agree with are the political attacks on the Trump administration regarding the actions and the misrepresentations of what he has said. I object to the politicizing of the administration's efforts that is coming from the Left and the MSM. If this wasn't such a serious issue it would be humorous. You guys objecting to our objections of you guys making this political. 

• Like (+1) 2