The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

41 minutes ago, TPS said:

I don’t know and I don’t care. 

I do know they had an opportunity to take more aggressive action after the China travel ban, but didn’t. It was also clear to me he was more worried about its impact on the stock market and economy.  

Did Trump say it was ok to go to work even if you had the virus?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Has there been any conclusive data distributed relating to demographics and environmental factors to cases that ended in death? Would be interested to see what % of fatalities are occurring in higher age ranges/what level of treatment is being administered in cases where death occurs. 

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Has there been any conclusive data distributed relating to demographics and environmental factors to cases that ended in death? Would be interested to see what % of fatalities are occurring in higher age ranges/what level of treatment is being administered in cases where death occurs. 

The data out of China and Iran has been suspect to it's accuracy.

It seems that reliable numbers are starting to come out of EU and US and I would wager that by next week we should start to see them.

From everything I have read and heard there seems to be indications that most deaths have been in Intensive Care.

Not related to this post response I want to say the President is privy to more information than most of us and I applaud his response tonight.

It can't be easy for anyone to do that irregardless of politics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why does this have to be political?

Fact is that half of this country couldn't give two shyts about politics. They just wanna know what is going to be done about this.

And just for the record, nothing short of closing the borders at all angles was ever going to prevent this virus from not getting here.

Point is, if you wanna blame someone for the spreading of this virus, put it squarely where it belongs and to whom the blame ONLY  belongs................

CHINA.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why does this have to be political?

Fact is that half of this country couldn't give two shyts about politics. They just wanna know what is going to be done about this.

And just for the record, nothing short of closing the borders at all angles was ever going to prevent this virus from not getting here.

Point is, if you wanna blame someone for the spreading of this virus, put it squarely where it belongs and to whom the blame ONLY  belongs................

CHINA.

Exactly.

This should be unifying us much like 9/11.  But in no way will that be allowed to happen.

The media needs fear and anger.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

@KD in CA points out the problem with this post down thread a bit, but I’d like to jump in as well.  

You wrote an impassioned and imo effective post a couple hours ago.  Speaking only for myself, i read it, considered your perspective, thought about whether or not you’re a reasonable guy or a silly heart like @TPS or @Hardhatharry, and figured you were calling things as you truly saw them.  Put another way, your post promoted me to consider things in a way I had not previously considered, and I disagree with many of the things I’ve seen you post previously. 

This recent post, however, is a damn shame.  You do what you want, but if you really are trying to reach people, why politicize it further, especially in light of the actions outlined by the president this evening, and the actions taken previously?  It cheapens the message.

Snipped for brevity.

Trump did a great job tonight.  Dare I say he was very presidential!  I was very glad to see him take it serious, introduce drastic but necessary measures, and reassure the American people.

He also said exactly what I was trying to:

We are all in this together. We must put politics aside, stop the partisanship, and unify together as one nation and one family.

If I came across attacking one side over another I didn't mean to.  Here on this forum I was speaking to the members discounting the severity as a political ploy.  I was addressing certain talking points I had seen on this thread while trying not to call anyone out directly.  The majority of people starting today really seemed to grasp the severity of the situation.  I was more calling to task the last stragglers.  Like I said in my previous post this is a bit personal and I got a little too impassioned.

Anyone who cares more about the politics of this situation over the situation itself has their priorities out of whack.

I hope everyone stays safe!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, H2o said:

Either way, this whole thing wreaks of bs. I was told it was Anthrax that would get us, then the Bird Flu, the Swine Flu, Ebola, West Nile, SARS, MERS-CoV, now the Coronavirus, and talk is starting about Dengue Fever. 

300+ new cases today. Wasn't somebody that we all know crowing about only 15 cases or so just a week ago? Look, you don't need to panic, but you really should start taking this seriously. Do the math, man. A time when a real infectious disease is just starting to run rampant is not really a time to scream about past infectious disease scares. If anything, you'd think we would have learned something with all of that training instead of gutting the CDC...

Edited by Nelius

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Horseshit. Trump has been on this since at least January with shutting down our borders and putting a response team together.

A response team led by a man who saw an HIV infection spread so he could first pray about the idea of safe needle exchange, which has only been proven to work time and time again. You're utterly insane if you don't think Trump was completely blindsided by all of this. He's admitted as much! He said the entire world was blindsided, which is actual horseshit. 

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Comparing this to the 1917 influenza and medieval Black Plague are forthcoming soon from the Left.

Except that real public health professionals and experts that don't give a ***** about politics are already calling this the worst infectious disease crisis since the Spanish Flu. Look up Dr. Richard Hatchett, or Dr. John Campbell, an old infectious disease expert that provides updates from his bedroom in the UK and has no reason to lie to you. The experts are beyond concerned, and yet somehow some of you would rather get your news from Trump's economic adviser, or assistant to the press secretary, or whoever was tapped to talk to cameras for the day. 

Speaking of which, did anybody else see Ben Carson legitimately give up the other day when being questioned about this disease? And that was about 5 days ago. Things move quick.

3 hours ago, section122 said:

The NBA just postponed their season.  A billion dollar industry is on hold.  Surely they must just be trolling Trump.  Surely they are over reacting.

Is it still something to laugh about and pin on the liberal media and chuck and Nancy?

This is a serious situation and so many of you sound dumb trying to make this about politics or poo poo the seriousness of this.

It's incredible, although I've watched people who dismissed it two days ago start to realize the gravity of this situation in real time and I can't help but feel bad for them. As if any of us live in a community that can support even hundreds needing ventilation at the same time. Intubation? Better cap that at, what, a dozen at any given time in an urban hospital? Keep in mind that "mild" is considered anything below hospitalization. Roughly 15-18% will need hospitalization. Again, do the math.

Sadly some of those that are dismissing it are likely those that really need to take this seriously (ie. old, considering I've seen references to grandkids). I sincerely hope some of you wake up and realize that constantly attempting to prove popular opinion wrong is a dumb goal that ultimately makes you look like an insecure moron. You're not being lied to. You need to wash your ***** hands and avoid crowds.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2