The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

From the CDC website:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Can somebody tell me why I don't remember widespread panic, the markets crashing, events being cancelled left and right - and Obama being blamed?  

The market had already crashed the year before.  

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Rhetorical............right ?

i'll leave it to Bob to answer.

How about these lyrics from that album??

I'm tired of this river, these nothin' nights
I'm small towned out, I need city lights
So long Allegany, so long Olean
I need to face the promise of the Promised Land
I'll need a world of changes, I need a
brand new space

3 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

So, it couldn't go down again?  

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, bbb said:

Thanks.................How the eff can the most famous line from the movie not actually be in the movie?!?  

You'll never find "Beam me up, Scotty" in the original Star Trek either.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, realtruelove said:

Yep. We were already in recession, and there was a Dem in the White House. So to the media, everything was being handled perfectly and no need to panic. 

• Like (+1) 1

Krugman Hypes Coronavirus Threat In Ridiculous Thread About Trump, Climate Change and Evolution

It’s a really sick thing that some Democrats seem to want to hype the coronavirus because of their hatred for President Donald Trump.

Its diagnosed incidence in the United States is so far, low. The response has been good and proactive, cutting entry from areas that were affected in China. It’s important to note the reality, that the incidence of mortality is also very low. But it’s obviously a continuing challenge and there’s likely to be more diagnosed cases as more are tested.

But that hasn’t stopped Paul Krugman from spewing nonsense, all through the lens of his Trump hate. Remember when he seemed to be celebrating the virus’ effect on the stock market, but then went silent after the market came back up in a record one day gain? He’s at it again.

• Like (+1) 2

"soar"

Cuomo declares state of emergency in New York as state coronavirus cases soar to 76

Gov. Cuomo declared a state of emergency Saturday to deal with the worsening coronavirus crisis, as the number of cases jumped to 11 in the Big Apple — including a Queens taxi driver — and 76 across New York.

Saturday’s numbers more than doubled the cases in the city, which stood at five on Friday, the governor said at a noon press conference. There were 21 new cases outside the city, from 44 the day before, he said.

“We are testing aggressively, said Cuomo. “The more positives you find, the better.” ...

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

can you say that again in layman's terms?

Sure.  The SARS/AIDs hybrid statement was declared after examining one deceased 85 year old patient.

Regarding "permanent" lung fibrosis, I have seen pigs reabsorb a tremendous amount of fibrosis around their heart and pacemakers I've implanted.  "Permanent" may mean 1-2 months.

This virus is unique in that it's infectious before the host shows significant symptoms.  That's virtually impossible to stop IMO.  Our isolation bought us some time, but be prepared.

On the good side S. Korea has an excellent health system and large scale rigorous testing indicates a fatality rate of 0.6% which is a good bit better than the 3% estimates.

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Ok, sooooo not sure how they define "prepared." We went to the Rock of Gibraltar today, which is UK.  The customs guy wandered down the aisle of the tour bus to look at passports while not asking a single question about where anyone had been lately, and that was "different" (especially in light of Morocco having a gazillion questions... I felt bad for the Asian couple on our ferry as they were pulled aside individually, and questioned at length).  I will say there was a sign at Gibraltar passport control (about the size of a parking sign) that listed "Have you been in these countries," but no one ever asked us anything (neither guy at customs in or out said a word.. like not a word of any sort). ?‍♂️

Oh, on the upside, since Brexit happened Gibraltar is HOPPING. Apparently, with Brexit, goods that had been taxed to death are now duty free for those in  the EU (to 300€ per person, restrictions apply).  The cross-traffic looked like the Peace Bridge on the 4th of July. <_<

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Sure.  The SARS/AIDs hybrid statement was declared after examining one deceased 85 year old patient.

Regarding "permanent" lung fibrosis, I have seen pigs reabsorb a tremendous amount of fibrosis around their heart and pacemakers I've implanted.  "Permanent" may mean 1-2 months.

This virus is unique in that it's infectious before the host shows significant symptoms.  That's virtually impossible to stop IMO.  Our isolation bought us some time, but be prepared.

On the good side S. Korea has an excellent health system and large scale rigorous testing indicates a fatality rate of 0.6% which is a good bit better than the 3% estimates.

thanks.

no other comment at this time other than to say, i have seen many... suppositions out and about regarding how and what this virus is all about (that it attacks nerve endings and the brain stem) but it is hard to put much credence into any of them right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bbb said:

From the CDC website:

From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus.

Can somebody tell me why I don't remember widespread panic, the markets crashing, events being cancelled left and right - and Obama being blamed?  

Because it was influenza.  To the average american "the flu" is no big deal and therefore it's very difficult to manufacture excessive media hysteria surrounding it.  A new virus that 99% of people have never heard of is a tinderbox of panic and hysteria that the media can stoke 24/7.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bbb said:

From the CDC website:

Because DJT was not POTUS

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

This! All this post is what iv'e been seeing as well.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

thanks.

no other comment at this time other than to say, i have seen many... suppositions out and about regarding how and what this virus is all about (that it attacks nerve endings and the brain stem) but it is hard to put much credence into any of them right now.

This one as well.

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Do you have a source for this.  Because that’s excellent news.