Senior Bowl 2020 notes and observations

CEN-CAL17

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think Jefferson might end up a good one. Need to dig into his tape more 

In the Fairburn article, Beane did talk about the route tree and running routes. If the goal is to help Allen as much as possible this year, the more developed this trait is, the better...

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

In the Fairburn article, Beane did talk about the route tree and running routes. If the goal is to help Allen as much as possible this year, the more developed this trait is, the better...

I'll go a step further and point out in his end of season presser, Beane specifically mentioned that "Brian's offense is very complex" and the need to see how intelligent the different WR are. 

It has been speculated that one factor hindering Foster and Williams from seeing the field was ability to master the route tree and route options.  I don't think it's an accident that two of our three most successful receivers were QB in high school (Beasley and Knox)

Taking the "Is what it Is" approach to Daboll and his offense, that aspect of the trait might be critical to a new WR ability to contribute.  If that's so, I hope they hedge their bets with bringing in at least one vet.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll go a step further and point out in his end of season presser, Beane specifically mentioned that "Brian's offense is very complex" and the need to see how intelligent the different WR are. 

It has been speculated that one factor hindering Foster and Williams from seeing the field was ability to master the route tree and route options.  I don't think it's an accident that two of our three most successful receivers were QB in high school (Beasley and Knox)

Taking the "Is what it Is" approach to Daboll and his offense, that aspect of the trait might be critical to a new WR ability to contribute.  If that's so, I hope they hedge their bets with bringing in at least one vet.

100%

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm mystified by NFL coaches who force complex schemes onto their young players, especially knowing they'd be going with Allen who was more raw coming out of college. 

They started 2019 with that young QB, rookie RB, a brand new (minus Dawkins) OL, and still Daboll wanted to do only his thing.  Offensive game planning requires significant precision and thinking that unit would somehow come together with that scheme was absurd.  In fact, I read on this board and McD said himself that they had a whole new offense. (EDIT: Go figure. -_-)

It stands to reason you modify what you're doing on that side until they get it.  It'd be better to have fewer plays that players know really well than this complex system that only a few (veteran) types can. 

One would think that the OC in his second year could recognize this, but I don't know how observant Daboll is.  He seems removed from on-field stuff, as evidenced by his play-calling in the Houston game. 

Edited by BillsVet

3 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

The punter from South Carolina, tall lanky kid in the North Squad, Joseph Charlton was booming kicks.... talking 65 yards.

Thanks.

I can't explain why (other than the obvious I want everything Bills to be great) but the weakness and unreliability of our punting game bothered me more and more as the season went on no matter what Bojorquez did.  He was supposed to be a thunderfoot stud when they picked him up off NE's waivers and really on his best days he's only a journeyman gap filler.  I don't know what priority to give a punter, but if Charlton is that good and he's there in the third round given how late the Bills draft this year . . . is that crazy talk?

1 hour ago, Ennjay said:

Thanks.

I can't explain why (other than the obvious I want everything Bills to be great) but the weakness and unreliability of our punting game bothered me more and more as the season went on no matter what Bojorquez did.  He was supposed to be a thunderfoot stud when they picked him up off NE's waivers and really on his best days he's only a journeyman gap filler.  I don't know what priority to give a punter, but if Charlton is that good and he's there in the third round given how late the Bills draft this year . . . is that crazy talk?

In recent years the elite punters have been typically drafted in the 5th.  Wisnowsky went in the 4th last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was fortunate enough to be a scout several years ago at the NFL level but left to spend more time with my growing family. Over the next month I would not look into who they are meeting with to much as teams will meet with upwards of 30 prospects. I think the Bills are going to look to move up multiple times throughout the draft as they only have a few glaring holes and with their current cap situation expect them to fill a few of them via free agency. However, I will caution everyone this regime is not a splash regime and personally do not expect big name free agents. I think we will see them go after some tier 2 guys that fit their mode and don’t break the bank especially with some key players contracts coming up.  Just my two cents and will see what happens. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ennjay said:

Thanks.

I watched Wishnowsky from San Fran punt last year at the Senior Bowl.... I think Charlton May have a bigger leg!!!  I didn’t measure 1 of his punts during live drills but if I had to guess, it went from his 20 to the opposite 10-15... a few times may 15 to the opposite 15....

• Thank you (+1) 1