Senior Bowl 2020 notes and observations

CEN-CAL17

Senior Bowl 2020

Senior Bowl notes... mostly based on players that have been brought up here on the board, positions highly talked about and players that just look the part or made plays.

NORTH

DEFENSE 

Jason Strowbridge-Edge UNC- Physical Specimen. Looks like an NFL player. Strong kid, quick off the line, fought through a few double teams. Good hands, grabs and pulls to get through. Doesn’t get pushed around and can anchor down to hold the edge. Got his hands up and batted a pass, showed some fire!

Alton Robinson- DE Syracuse- played a lot of stand up End. Not the fastest or strongest. Shows decent ability overall not too impressed. Has good size.

Bradley Anea-Edge Utah- Great size, quick off the edge. Edge rush is all he has. Plays the edge well. Vocal kid, shows intensity at times. Solid build, strong lower body.

Lamar Jackson- CB Nebraska- big CB, physical kid, loves to press and use his size, popped Claypool off the line with no problem.

Jalen Elliot- S Notre Dame- Thick build, not the tallest, maybe 5’11”. led all drills. Enthusiastic. Confident kid. Vocal. Pretty good range playing centerfield getting to the ball.

Evan Weaver LB Cal- Skinny lower body, but the kid is a baller, intense. Flys around, made a few plays. Effort kid. I guess this kid was a tackling machine this year. 

JOSHUA Uche- OLB Michigan- Quick, too small to play DE. May be a 3-4 OLB. Very solid build, not to tall. Fast around the edge, another guy that’s just a speed rush off the edge.

OFFENSE-

Adam Troutman- TE Dayton- Solid looking TE, physically looks the most solid of all TEs on the North Squad. Good route runner, deceptively quick. Soft hands.

James Proche- WR SMU- Quick, led all drills, smallest WR on North Squad, accelerates full speed quickly after catch. Good hands fighting off defenders, at times defenders get the best of him due to strength. #1 punt returner, catches the ball with ease. Went up and caught a ball in triple coverage.

Denzel Mims- WR Baylor- Tall Lean kid, decent speed, stacks the DB well. Excels on the 9 route. Not very physical. Great at the 50/50 ball, went up over CB on an under thrown ball.

Chase Claypool- WR Notre Dame- Biggest WR on North Squad, looks the part. Good size upper body. Good hands battling defenders. Not fast off the line, builds up speed gradually. Slow out of breaks, at times drags his toes.

Michael Pittman JR- WR USC- Decent size, shorter legs compared to Claypool and Mims. Small lower torso. Seems to have a lot of wasted movement in and out of breaks.

Quartney Davis WR Texas A&M- solid size, thick lower body, legs look strong. Great hands, watches the ball in. Good speed. Quick off the ball. Catches the ball even in draped coverage. Fights for the ball.

KJ Hill - WR OSU- slightly bigger than Proche. Not as quick and polished. At times gets lazy with his route running. Looks as if Proche May be faster as well. 

Gandy- Golden- WR Liberty- Not the biggest, not the smallest. Not physical. Decent hands, double caught a few. Not super fast, route running is nothing special but not bad. Dropped a deep ball, beat his guy by 3 steps. Whole crowd felt let down on a perfect pass!

JOSHUA Kelly -RB UCLA- Impressive, compact running back, looks a lot like Singletary. Hits the hole hard, runs hard, great vision and ran between the tackles untouched 2-3 times for big gains. Solid build, looks to have a strong lower body, quick too. Dude is good!

Tyler Bass- K Georgia Southern- Huge leg!!! Made 6 straight FGs. Made a 54 yard FG that would have been good from maybe 65 yards.

MVPs- North Squad

Jason Strowbridge
James Proche/Quartney Davis
Joshua Kelly

Intriguing Player-
Khaleke Hudson S Michigan

SOUTH SQUAD

Offense

Kalija Lipscomb- WR Vandy- Shifty kid, in the same mold as James Proche. Almost identical in size. No where as good as Proche. Routes are not as crisp, Proche seemed better at press coverage.

Van Jefferson-WR Florida-Decent size, fluid runner, smooth. Soft hands. Looks like Robert Foster as far as build. Probably best WR at the senior bowl. Route running is great, no wasted effort and speed through his cuts.

Calvin Throckmorton- OL Oregon- Good size, quick feet. Moves smoothly and looks athletic but big. Dominated Zuniga on first rep. Playing LT. Dominated Lewis from Alabama. Throckmorton is this years Risner but more athletic.

John Simpson- OG Clemson- Big kid. Anchors like nobody’s business. Won’t budge. Dude is powerful and he’s making the most of this Bowl practice.

Collin Johnson-WR Texas- tall, but skinny. Nowhere near the build of Claypool. Did not look good against press coverage. I was not really impressed.

DEFENSE 

Javon Kinlaw- DT South Carolina - Beast.

Terrell Lewis-Edge/OLB Alabama- Lower body is skinny but he’s long. Lewis runs stiff, can NOT cover.

Kyle Dugger- S Lenior Rhyne- Looks solid, fast kid, back pedal and turns with fluidity in drills. Under control. I need to find more on him.

Azur Kamara- OLB Kansas- looks like a big FS. But he’s got good size. Think he was a late addition. Not very powerful. Once OL locks on he’s done. Not very instinctive. 

Jonathan Greenard- Edge/OLB Florida. This kid is athletic, can get low and bend around the edge. More quick than strong. Got pancakes by a running back on blocking drills. Beat Throckmorton on an inside move 1 on 1.

Trevis Gipson- Edge Tulsa- strong, good size. Probably the thickest out of the group. Not super athletic or fast but looks better at the run game.

DJ Wonnum- Edge South Carolina- Strong lower body. Was driving the LT 4-5 yards back. Solid looking kid, built just like Gipson. Gets over his toes at times and shoved in the ground.

Anfernee Jennings- LB Alabama- Shorter kid. But quick, thick and diagnoses plays quickly. Reminds me of Dre Greenlaw from last year.

Let me say.... McD and the entire Buffalo staff were locked on the WR drills. Last year Bobby Johnson was here, not this year. No Daboll this year either.

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 9

I mentioned this in my updates of the schools that we've sent scouts to throughout the year; seems significant that we are one of 4 teams that are publicly known to have made a trip to Lenoir-Rhyne (obviously to see Dugger specifically). Seems like it might be something to keep an eye on, though his inclusion at the Senior Bowl suggests the cat might be out of the bag in terms of teams sleeping on him too much.

And I wish we could justify taking a DT again so that we could take Kinlaw, but I suspect he might be out of our range anyways and I can't see us taking another first round DT even though he looks like a great one.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nemhoff said:

The Weaver kid from Cal is an absolute beast.  Saw a couple of his games this last year and he was making plays all over the field.  He reminded me of a combination of Paup and Poz put together.

I sat right between the Dallas Scouts and the Falcons Scouts and they were both talking him up...

24 minutes ago, nemhoff said:

The Weaver kid from Cal is an absolute beast.  Saw a couple of his games this last year and he was making plays all over the field.  He reminded me of a combination of Paup and Poz put together.

This 'homer' agrees:   https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/pff-all-conference-weaver

Good profile (doesn't seem like a fit in McD's scheme, however):  https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/evan-weaver

Edited by Lurker

11 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I sat right between the Dallas Scouts and the Falcons Scouts and they were both talking him up...

He is huge, hits really hard, can move, but more than all of that he seriously leaves it all on the field.  Total effort.  And from my limited view was the heart and soul of that defense which does not have a ton of playmakers on it.

4 hours ago, nemhoff said:

He’s a favorite of PFF. Think they had him like top 15 in their mock or something like that. 

15 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Senior Bowl 2020

Senior Bowl notes... mostly based on players that have been brought up here on the board, positions highly talked about and players that just look the part or made plays.

NORTH

DEFENSE 

Jason Strowbridge-Edge UNC- Physical Specimen. Looks like an NFL player. Strong kid, quick off the line, fought through a few double teams. Good hands, grabs and pulls to get through. Doesn’t get pushed around and can anchor down to hold the edge. Got his hands up and batted a pass, showed some fire!

Alton Robinson- DE Syracuse- played a lot of stand up End. Not the fastest or strongest. Shows decent ability overall not too impressed. Has good size.

Bradley Anea-Edge Utah- Great size, quick off the edge. Edge rush is all he has. Plays the edge well. Vocal kid, shows intensity at times. Solid build, strong lower body.

Lamar Jackson- CB Nebraska- big CB, physical kid, loves to press and use his size, popped Claypool off the line with no problem.

Jalen Elliot- S Notre Dame- Thick build, not the tallest, maybe 5’11”. led all drills. Enthusiastic. Confident kid. Vocal. Pretty good range playing centerfield getting to the ball.

Evan Weaver LB Cal- Skinny lower body, but the kid is a baller, intense. Flys around, made a few plays. Effort kid. I guess this kid was a tackling machine this year. 

JOSHUA Uche- OLB Michigan- Quick, too small to play DE. May be a 3-4 OLB. Very solid build, not to tall. Fast around the edge, another guy that’s just a speed rush off the edge.

Why didn't the NFL think of this instead of pigeonholing him on Offense. Lamar Jackson going to take the NFL by storm

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thanks for the writeup, @CEN-CAL17

Good stuff

Whatcha know about this guy Ed Oliver tweeted about - Florida WR Tyrie Cleveland  I think?

Following my own post, sorry!

Found this.  Sounds like at least some folks think he is limited. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tyrie-cleveland/OrKcR3E0JJ